Annual Air Conditioner Service

Old 04-08-2024, 06:26 PM
Veteran member
Default Annual Air Conditioner Service

We are looking for recommendations for someone who is reputable and does annual air conditioner service. We have always used Chuck Farrell in the past, but he doesn't service the South end of The Villages. We used Sunshine Air Conditioning last year, but all their service person was interested in was signing us up for an annual contract. We had to get really firm with him we weren't interested in any contract before he finally did the annual service check.

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,751 Times in 5,257 Posts

Pour hot water down the condensate drain every 2 months or so, replace the filter every 6 months, and check the outside unit for dirt accumulation. An annual service check-up is a waste of money. There is nothing they can do to prevent a system failure. But, if you don't believe it, hire Munn's.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,133 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
But, if you don't believe it, hire Munn's.

Yep, Munn's would be my advice, if only for the piece of mind, and do it once a year.
I pay $99.00 once a year without air filter.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:58 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager View Post
We are looking for recommendations for someone who is reputable and does annual air conditioner service. We have always used Chuck Farrell in the past, but he doesn't service the South end of The Villages. We used Sunshine Air Conditioning last year, but all their service person was interested in was signing us up for an annual contract. We had to get really firm with him we weren't interested in any contract before he finally did the annual service check.

Thanks!
Hope someone can tip you off to a person with some ethics. We have used Chuck F. for years too. Just be as careful as you can, we have first hand knowledge of one firm that does do annual service and makes sure to "weaken" a component so it will give out a few weeks later. In this case, the service guy had NO IDEA my brother in law had been in the AC business 41 years in Florida, as he stood in the yard watching and chatting as the "service" person was doing the "check-up"... THEN he asked the guy, WHY in the world are you doing that with the "fins" (something about the fan or other part, I am not an expert myself !) and then asked WHY he was turning another part so far to one side, and the guy suddenly realized my BIL was a skilled AC guy ! He told us how many tricks there are for causing future problems, calls them Land Sharks, using Jimmy Buffet language. Do a LOT of investigating before you allow someone to work on yours only for "a check up". Have you thought about going over to Chuck's in person since you have a relationship established ? As him, or one of the boys or son in law personally ? I know when they are completely overwhelmed the do sometimes have to call another local Heat/AC business to take some of the overload calls... I doubt they call anyone that is unethical and could ruin their reputation, so you might ask ! Best to go in person, not just call the office perhaps ?

Last edited by Pairadocs; 04-08-2024 at 09:02 PM. Reason: add a tip
Old 04-08-2024, 09:20 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Pour hot water down the condensate drain every 2 months or so, replace the filter every 6 months, and check the outside unit for dirt accumulation. An annual service check-up is a waste of money. There is nothing they can do to prevent a system failure. But, if you don't believe it, hire Munn's.
You tell it like it is, I like that, truthful advice for new people and those who have been here for years. Might add, a cup of vinegar, or 1/2 bleach added to the water helps and will not hurt anything, that drain in PVC. For those who like to buy things, they also sell rather expensive "tablets" you can drop down there once a month, same as hot water and vinegar, or hot water and bleach. If you want GREAT prices on really high end furnace filters, along with GREAT service by a family run, made in the USA business, check out Filterbuy.com. They have high MERV 13 for the best prices ever and all made right here. NO, I am not related and know no one who works there, just some of the best I've ever done business with and all USA made and employees, and the lowest prices for the best quality filters. Here in Florida, I order one day and they usually get here from Alabama the next day, no shipping fee.

Tags
service, annual, air, contract, interested

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.