Skim Coat Painter

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2021, 11:06 AM
Default Skim Coat Painter

Skim Coat Painter. I have several sections of my walls that have mismatched orange peel due to home repairs. If anyone has had this problem and has had their home 'skim coated' and re-painted, please share the name and number of the painter that you used. TIA
Old 05-26-2021, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by am.zinger@aol.com View Post
Skim Coat Painter. I have several sections of my walls that have mismatched orange peel due to home repairs. If anyone has had this problem and has had their home 'skim coated' and re-painted, please share the name and number of the painter that you used. TIA
Call the warranty dept, the guy they use was really good, couldn’t tell what part of the wall was repaired
Old 05-26-2021, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,178 Times in 2,262 Posts

Not sure what 'skim coating' is, but I have found the spray on orange peel coating is very effective at matching the existing orange peel. These spray cans have a setting valve, I use a scrap piece of dry wall as a test piece to see if i have the setting right, as i recall the light to slightly medium works well. Next the paint MUST be the same color but also the same finish, this is very important, anything other than flat on a flat finished wall will stick out like a sore thumb even if the color matches exactly
Old 05-27-2021, 09:41 AM
Default Skim coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Not sure what 'skim coating' is, but I have found the spray on orange peel coating is very effective at matching the existing orange peel. These spray cans have a setting valve, I use a scrap piece of dry wall as a test piece to see if i have the setting right, as i recall the light to slightly medium works well. Next the paint MUST be the same color but also the same finish, this is very important, anything other than flat on a flat finished wall will stick out like a sore thumb even if the color matches exactly
Skim coating is a thin application of drywall mud over top of a textured surface. We used it once to cover knockdown texture in our kitchen.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,178 Times in 2,262 Posts

Sorry, I thought you were trying to hide some repairs, no idea on doing skim coat over paint. I did do similar on a previous house but this was over plaster on drywall repair. If you do not get additional replies, I would start calling the larger interior painters, Steve Kling, Oscars, etc.

Tags
skim, painter, coat, home, number

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.