Auto Air Conditioner

Old 05-21-2024, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,013 Times in 5,371 Posts
Default Auto Air Conditioner

My 2017 SUV air conditioner is not dead, but it is failing. Sumter Tire diagnosed it as needing to be replaced, but their price is $2,400. Wildwood Tire says to not replace it now, but their price is $1,600. Firestone will replace it for $1,850. I am leaning toward using Firestone. Can someone recommend another repair shop?

By the way, I have used and recommended Sumter Tire for years for routine maintenance, but their pricing for high end items does not seem to be competitive. When I replaced my tires a few years ago, they were $150 higher than Firestone for the same tires.
Old 05-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,027 Times in 778 Posts

Shop around since its not totally dead as far as tires go to many sales monthly at Firestone, Good Year BJ’s or Sam’s even Walmart.
Old 05-21-2024, 11:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,051 Times in 374 Posts

I recommend getting a quote from Michael's Automotive in Fruitland Park. He's no nonsense, straight forward, and most of all I believe to be honest. Good Luck !

Michael's Auto Repair Inc
Old 05-21-2024, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,079 Times in 2,544 Posts

Did they say what was failing? Compressor?
Old 05-21-2024, 12:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Did they say what was failing? Compressor?
Sumter Tire charged it, but it really didn't need a charge. They added a dye, I returned it a week later, and they said that the compressor was not working properly and they recommended a new AC kit to include a compressor. Sometimes it cools, but sometimes it doesn't. It definitely does not work correctly, especially when the outside temp is in the 90's, and I would not be able to take it on a long trip. Wildwood Tire said they would not recommend a new compressor, but they did not seem interested in fixing it either. Go figure.
Old 05-21-2024, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,448 Times in 2,341 Posts

This sounds like a problem with the electric clutch that operates the AC compressor. This could be a wiring problem, or a control problem. I would research a replacement clutch, as these are typically easy to install. It may be possible to test the clutch. I am sure there are some automotive AC companies that could trouble shoot your problem.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
This sounds like a problem with the electric clutch that operates the AC compressor. This could be a wiring problem, or a control problem. I would research a replacement clutch, as these are typically easy to install. It may be possible to test the clutch. I am sure there are some automotive AC companies that could trouble shoot your problem.
Thanks. I will tell that to Michael's Automotive when he checks it out on June 3.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,051 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Thanks. I will tell that to Michael's Automotive when he checks it out on June 3.
Great choice!!! Give us a follow up afterwards.
Old 05-22-2024, 04:31 AM

Quote:
My 2017 SUV air conditioner is not dead, but it is failing. Sumter Tire diagnosed it as needing to be replaced, but their price is $2,400. Wildwood Tire says to not replace it now, but their price is $1,600. Firestone will replace it for $1,850. I am leaning toward using Firestone. Can someone recommend another repair shop?

By the way, I have used and recommended Sumter Tire for years for routine maintenance, but their pricing for high end items does not seem to be competitive. When I replaced my tires a few years ago, they were $150 higher than Firestone for the same tires.
You’re leading us astray. You should have said Sumter Tire was including a new compressor while Wildwood was not. What about Firestone what was included in their quote? I would be tempted to go with Sumter Tire.
Old 05-22-2024, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I recommend getting a quote from Michael's Automotive in Fruitland Park. He's no nonsense, straight forward, and most of all I believe to be honest. Good Luck !

Michael's Auto Repair Inc
Agree, excellent suggestion for Michael's Auto Repair. We have used him many times.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:33 AM

Sounds like the clutch. You did not say the make/model but some clutches have shims behind them. If you are mechanically inclined, It is possible to remove one to make the gap less which will make the clutch work correctly. Do some googling on this for your make/model and see if you can find anything. I did it successfully on our Subaru.
Old 05-22-2024, 06:05 AM

Quote:

I had a labor only problem with a Pacifica. Shopped around and Sumter was lowest price. Then I called Kraken 352 234 6872. Half of Sumter price. Near Sparr lumber. Can't hurt to call Or click krakenautorepair.com
Old 05-22-2024, 06:11 AM
Default Search Youtube for your problem. Also chat groups for your specific car.

You can bet that you're not the only one that has had that problem.
A YouTube video or comments from a chat group about your specific vehicle may hold the answer.

My Honda Odyssey minivan did the same thing.
YouTube saved me considerable expense and it became a simple DIY fix.
In my case, it was a relay located in the engine compartment along with other fuses and relays. It was not operating normally to kick in the AC clutch when needed. YouTube video had me remove an identical relay in that box and swap it with the potential bad one.

BINGO ! that was the problem. Local parts store had the new relay for ten dollars.
I hope your issue turns out to be as simple!
Old 05-22-2024, 06:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy o View Post
You’re leading us astray. You should have said Sumter Tire was including a new compressor while Wildwood was not. What about Firestone what was included in their quote? I would be tempted to go with Sumter Tire.
Sorry, but I didn't mean to lead anyone astray. The Wildwood quote, and 3 other quotes, all included an AC kit that included a compressor and other items needed to completely restore the air conditioning system, and included a 2-year warranty for parts and labor. The quotes were $1,424 (Michael's), $1,600 (Wildwood Tire), $1,750 (Firestone), and $2,400 (Sumter Tire). Wildwood Tire quoted the job, but they did not recommend replacing anything. So, they gave me a quote, but I don't think they were interested in doing the job. Michael's has agreed to test the system for no cost to see what it needs. I am happy to replace the system, but I don't want to replace the compressor unless it really needs to be replaced. I am not a car guy.
Old 05-22-2024, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Sumter Tire charged it, but it really didn't need a charge. They added a dye, I returned it a week later, and they said that the compressor was not working properly and they recommended a new AC kit to include a compressor. Sometimes it cools, but sometimes it doesn't. It definitely does not work correctly, especially when the outside temp is in the 90's, and I would not be able to take it on a long trip. Wildwood Tire said they would not recommend a new compressor, but they did not seem interested in fixing it either. Go figure.
It sounds like a "go away" quote to me. If the system doesn't need charging their should be no refrigerant added. From the symptoms you described it sounds like one of the components may be malfunctioning but probably not the compressor.

Tags
firestone, tire, price, replaced, air

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.