Auto Tire Service Quest

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2021, 07:12 AM
Veteran member

Here's a place no one has mentioned so far, pep boys! Walmart certainly can be cheap and they have a much wider selection than many other places. One word of caution or wherever you buy is to steer clear of china made tires. I foolishly bought El cheapo from China and after 20,000 miles, the plies came apart and I had to buy new again even though they were warrantied for 40 as my place went out of business. Stick to American made Japanese or French and you can't go wrong. Remember that some of the brands you might hear are simply the lower cost sub brands of famous companies Cooper and toyo certainly have additional factory brands. I have been happy with South Korean kumho tires that seem to last do well in the rain and are quiet. Enjoy your hunt.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:30 AM
Veteran member

SUMTER TIRE & AUTO in Wildwood. Great service !!! It's the best tire store I've ever used, and I've used a lot of them over the years. Totally and completely satisfied.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:37 AM
Veteran member
Default Tires

Just one additional comment. I have noticed a lot of tires today have no mileage warranty. Be careful in what you buy and consider the additional road hazard warranties as possibly good insurance
Old 04-22-2021, 07:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdeb View Post
(Omg, yet another post on auto tires!)

Apologies, but all the other threads I found were closed.

Did some foot work today checking out options. Yep, went to 'the place that is not to be named'. It was like they were doing me a favor. And most expensive of places I canvased.

Best deal was Sam's Club, and really nice guy. The tire place near Sam's seemed ok as well.

So, question, where to go for tires? Suggestions appreciated.
I have purchased 3 sets of tires from Sumter Tires and never a complaint. The caliber of service is my primary motivation. A couple of hundred one way or the other is insignificant if you cannot depend on the service.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:23 AM
Veteran member
Default Tires

Quote:

Did some foot work today checking out options. Yep, went to 'the place that is not to be named'. It was like they were doing me a favor. And most expensive of places I canvased.

Best deal was Sam's Club, and really nice guy. The tire place near Sam's seemed ok as well.

Biggest secret on Sams Club tires is that they are made to Sams specifications, which means they have less tread depth that's why they are cheaper. Unless you can match tire manufacturer part numbers you will be getting what you pay for. Most dealers now have price match guarantees, do your research then check your dealer. Dealers know that the place you buy tires usually ends up with your service business so they want to be your tire source.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:29 AM
Veteran member
Default Dealer

Quote:
Thank you all. I'm very appreciative for the advice.

One off the subject question, if your vehicle is still under warranty are you bound to go to a dealer for service?

How does that work? Would any master mechanic be acceptable?
Usually not required but a good idea. Say for instance you have an engine failure and the engine has a aftermarket oil filter, the manufacturer would be within his rights to refuse a warranty repair. I highly recommend using a dealer and the original manufacturer part. If not then go to a dealer or order on line a original equipment filter and have the shop you use install that filter. Also most dealers of lots of oil change coupons to remain competitive and keep your business.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick demis View Post
One of the things that should be considered is tire and rim insurance. We are building in the new development and have had 2 flat tires in 3 weeks, both to close to the sides to allow patching. With this insurance, you will get free tire replacement.
Re: flats
Since we moved to the villages, I have had more flats than in over 50 years of driving.
That includes my bike, my car and my golf cart.

Too close to the sides? We had a nail about an inch from the sidewall the dealer told us he would not patch it and sent us to Wildwood tire. Many dealers actually improperly patch a tire using plugs. Imagine, you ram a lump of rubber into the hole further damaging the supporting cords and you expect rubber cement to seal and hold air in a flexing tire. Wildwood did it right took the tire off the rim and patched it with a patch.
Done that way the air in the tire is not trying to get around the patch it is making the patch tighter.

Hint to all. If you get a nail in your car or golf cart tire. If, you catch it before the seal on the rim breaks, you can pump it up with a hand pump, you do not need a compressor.
Mark where the nail is so it is easy to find. DO NOT REMOVE IT TILL YOU GET TO THE PLACE THAT IS GOING TO FIX IT. DO NOT DRIVE ON A FLAT TIRE, YOU WILL RUIN BOT THE TIRE AND THE RIM.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:50 AM

Wildwood Tire.....the best and most honest
Old 04-22-2021, 11:23 AM

Sam’s prices and service are great.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:36 AM

My wife picked up a nail and had a slow leak in an 18k miles Michelin tire. Went to 'The tire place that shall not be named'. They said tire could not be repaired and started quoting me prices on new tires. Auto bought new in 2016 but warranty on tires expired due to age.

Their new tire prices were high and it felt like they were doing me favors. This is the same place I've spent big $ there in the past on tires and maintenance for an old truck I had.

Tire looked to me to be definitely repairable so I went elsewhere to have it fixed by a different dealer. So $32 later it was fixed, balanced and mounted. Thank you very much.

'The tire place that shall not be named' has lost my business going forward. I don't like posting bad Google reviews, but you all know who I'm referencing here.

Sad...
Old 04-22-2021, 02:17 PM
Default Vehicle Tires

It is welll worth the trip to Parker's tire and auto in Ocala (right next to the Ford dealership on US 301). Prices are very competitive but the real value is in their work. I purchased 4 new 20 inch Michelins, had them road force balanced and the car given a four wheel alignment for just over $1,100.00. The vehicle drives better than new. They have excellent techs and I have never had to return to have their work revised.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larchap49 View Post
Usually not required but a good idea. Say for instance you have an engine failure and the engine has a aftermarket oil filter, the manufacturer would be within his rights to refuse a warranty repair. I highly recommend using a dealer and the original manufacturer part. If not then go to a dealer or order on line a original equipment filter and have the shop you use install that filter. Also most dealers of lots of oil change coupons to remain competitive and keep your business.
Excellent advice. Thank you.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:25 PM

I bought my tires at Sam's Club, as recommended by my mechanic (AccuTech Automotive). Very reasonable, and good quality. I just had a nice experience at @Tire Choice Auto Service Centers 280 Colony Blvd, The Villages, as I didn't have time to drive all the way over to Sam's Club.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:09 PM

Sumpter Tire on 301 in Wildwood. For all my car needs.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Locally, Sumter Tire in Wildwood was good on price, great on service. Last December I had a blowout on I-55 near Springfield IL, Sunday at 4:30 PM. Since I have all-wheel drive on my Subaru Forester I had to replace all four tires. WalMart put on a set of 60K warranted Goodyears with a road hazard warrantee, a few $ less than $500 balanced mounted, out the door, and they did it right away. As a traveler in need, I was over a barrel land they gave great service and a fair price, no monkey business or BS overcharges.
Closed Thread

Tags
auto, sams, tires, place, tire

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.