best cell phone reception

Closed Thread
Old 07-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Default best cell phone reception

I'm new at this, so hopefully I'm in the right place for this question.
Was wondering what cell phone provider has the best reception in TV. We currently have AT&T and are hoping that will work fine. Feedback appreciated. Thanks D
Old 07-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Sage

Hi and welcome. This subject is currently being discussed here: AT&T or Verizon Cellphone Coverage?

There are also other older discussion of the same topic. Just search for cell phone.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G
Default Cell Phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darla View Post
I'm new at this, so hopefully I'm in the right place for this question.
Was wondering what cell phone provider has the best reception in TV. We currently have AT&T and are hoping that will work fine. Feedback appreciated. Thanks D
I currently have AT&T, and have had it for over 20 years. We have the IPhone 3GS and no problems anywhere. If 3G isn't available it switches to standard ditigal and analog services. I have traveled all 48 states and Canada and have not had any problems, (Retired Over The Road Driver), even when I lived in Alaska, my first experince with AT&T the service has been great.

Have a great day and Welcome to TV. We love it, been here 7 yrs.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Banned

If you get out in the country, I would recommend Verizon. I find it to be the best when traveling through remote area's.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Cell phones

If you want to be able to sit in your livingroom and hear loud and clear, go with Verizon......
I have dumped two other carriers because of reception so poor that I had to go outside to make a call........I live on the north end of The Villages...

Hard of Hearing ...... fumar
Old 07-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Banned

Test your AT&T here. I don't think you will have any problem. We have used both Verizon and AT&T. Both worked fine. I think the phone has a lot to do with the reception too. Make sure you have one that will bring in distant signals.

We originally had Verizon but switched to AT&T because they had a more flexible plan. We can switch fro 450 to 900 minite plans anytime and pay no penalty. For months that we travel and need to use the cell more we switch to a 900 min. plan. When were back here we switch to 400. The roll over minutes stack up fast for us too.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Stay away from Sprint. Although Sprint now owns NEXTELL...there is a good reason why all the contractors in the villages have a Nextel Phone...service is really good....both telephone and direct connect.

See the following map http://coverage.sprintpcs.com/IMPACT.jsp? and check for NEXTELL
Old 08-28-2010, 02:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Sprint Nextel Networks & Broadband Connection

We will be visiting our new TV home in September... While there, it would be nice to have an internet connection, but I don't want to signup for any longterm services just yet. Will not be there full-time until December or January.

I have been looking at the Virgin Mobile USA MiFi 2200 device. This is a WiFi hotspot device and uses the Sprint Nextel networks. Device allows 5 users to connect and costs $99.00 (one time purchase) at the local Walmart. Virgin Mobile offers unlimited data for $40/month on a prepaid basis... ie no contract. This device would be beneficial, as we travel to other places, in the future.

I've seen some posts on TOTV about Sprint not being very good in TV, although some have said Nextel is good. I think they are the same network now.

I know...I'm getting to a question. Is anyone using Sprint and how is your reception? Our home is in St. Charles, so that's where we'd be using this device the most.

Any information greatly appreciated.....

Mike
Old 08-28-2010, 06:28 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I am becoming more and more convinced that both Verizon and AT&T have excellent coverage in TV. The variable is the phone device itself. If you have a really low end phone, you will have trouble with either provider. A good quality phone will work fine with either one. I have AT&T with a Blackberry and my wife has Verizon with a really good LG phone. Both work fine.

The only issue I have ever found and we both have it happen is that we will get no ring, a VM arrived tone, and miss the call. Seems every once in a while we miss the ring. Call still comes through but it goes to VM. I know a few others this happens to as well.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

We are very pleased with "Pure Talk" a no-contract, prepaid service for $10/month and 100 mins/month that also carry over. Our cell phone is not our only source and is hardly used, just mainly on-the-road travel.

House phone is the Comcast triple package: internet, cable, and phone with very good reception and free long distance throughout the country.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 08-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Gold member
Default depends where you live

I switched from AT & T to Sprint - live in Sabal Chase. AT & T worked great in the northern part of TV while visiting friends, but we are just outside the band for good coverage.

Go to each of the cellphone carrier websites and search for coverage maps - it's pretty detailed and you can see where the coverage starts to get weak.

Verizon works great too in Sabal Chase, but plan we wanted was more expensive. I really liked the rollover minutes plan that AT & T has, but not if I dropped calls!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
I switched from AT & T to Sprint - live in Sabal Chase. AT & T worked great in the northern part of TV while visiting friends, but we are just outside the band for good coverage.

Go to each of the cellphone carrier websites and search for coverage maps - it's pretty detailed and you can see where the coverage starts to get weak.

Verizon works great too in Sabal Chase, but plan we wanted was more expensive. I really liked the rollover minutes plan that AT & T has, but not if I dropped calls!
Ohiogirl.... how is your Sprint reception in Sabel Chase? are you using the data network too or just voice.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member

MEMASON

Sprint and Nextell are the same company but they still operate separate telephone services. However with Nextel you can buy what they call a "hybird" telephone that uses Sprint telephone connections and nextell Direct Connections. When I had to replace an old Nextell telephone..that what they sold me. I guess it all depends upon where you are "primarily " going to make most use geographically of the telephone. In TV, I took the Hybird phone back during the 30 day free trial period the reception was so bad. Nextell telehone service and DC service has been great. Just go to the link I provided on the first page of this post and compare Sprinit and Nextell telephone service...you will see a dramatic difference. Again Nextell is probably the most used service by contractors here in TV.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Thanks 784caroline... I did look at the map, but I am only interested in 3G access and not voice. Certainly, Nextel has a more extensive voice network, according to the map. However, when looking at data access they are very similar.

I'm not sure why there are two networks anyway, since Sprint bought Nextel ?

Thanks....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.