Buyer Beware of Joseph Sweeting

Old 02-20-2018, 09:07 PM
Default Buyer Beware of Joseph Sweeting

In November 2017, we had Joseph Sweeting replace the screens in our lanai. The crew did a fabulous job, and we were very pleased..... until a major repair was needed.
We have sunbrella awnings on portions of the lanai ceiling.
The crew left a large bolt in the ceiling of the awning and the lanai not fastened down.

Since this was a major job to do the repair.... which would involve lifting a portion of the awning off the lanai, I have been given the run around.
We had quite a few excuses, from not being in town, to illness of crew members, etc., for reasons he never came back for the repair.

We sent emails and left phone messages, and at this point, after three months, we are no longer in contact with Mr. Sweeting.
The check was certainly cashed immediately after they left my property, but they cannot be bothered to do a repair if needed.

Unfortunately, they did wonderful work, I cannot fault them in that respect.... as long as a repair is not needed.
In good conscience, I cannot recommend this company at all.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlzdhz View Post
In November 2017, we had Joseph Sweeting replace the screens in our lanai. The crew did a fabulous job, and we were very pleased..... until a major repair was needed.
We have sunbrella awnings on portions of the lanai ceiling.
The crew left a large bolt in the ceiling of the awning and the lanai not fastened down.

Since this was a major job to do the repair.... which would involve lifting a portion of the awning off the lanai, I have been given the run around.
We had quite a few excuses, from not being in town, to illness of crew members, etc., for reasons he never came back for the repair.

We sent emails and left phone messages, and at this point, after three months, we are no longer in contact with Mr. Sweeting.
The check was certainly cashed immediately after they left my property, but they cannot be bothered to do a repair if needed.

Unfortunately, they did wonderful work, I cannot fault them in that respect.... as long as a repair is not needed.
In good conscience, I cannot recommend this company at all.
I am having trouble understanding what was wrong. Did they put up the awnings or just the screen?

Old 02-20-2018, 09:46 PM
Veteran member
Angry Companies Such as This Should be Reported

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am having trouble understanding what was wrong. Did they put up the awnings or just the screen?

I don't think it matters what was wrong.
That isn't the issue the OP has with this company.

What matters is the OP has continually tried to get in touch with the company to do a repair on work they did, and they are being ignored, time after time after time.

They should contact the Better Business Bureau and leave negative comments on sites like Angie's List, Yelp, etc. also, so that others don't get ignored and burned as they have been.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post

I don't think it matters what was wrong.
That isn't the issue the OP has with this company.

What matters is the OP has continually tried to get in touch with the company to do a repair on work they did, and they are being ignored, time after time after time.

They should contact the Better Business Bureau and leave negative comments on sites like Angie's List, Yelp, etc. also, so that others don't get ignored and burned as they have been.
The Awnings were THERE.

What if two companies were involved. The awning people and the screeners?

It was not clear to me what happened. Here is the conclusion I came to. They had awnings. The crew mentioned was hired to just rescreen? Somehow the awnings weren't fastened down properly. Did the awning people come and take them down? Was it contracted for the screeners or the awning people to remove and reattach the awnings? Maybe the OP expected them to do something that was not contracted?

Gracie. Judge Judy fan.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The Awnings were THERE.

What if two companies were involved. The awning people and the screeners?

It was not clear to me what happened. Here is the conclusion I came to. They had awnings. The crew mentioned was hired to just rescreen? Somehow the awnings weren't fastened down properly. Did the awning people come and take them down? Was it contracted for the screeners or the awning people to remove and reattach the awnings? Maybe the OP expected them to do something that was not contracted?
Funny, but I don't see where the OP said the awnings were installed by someone else.

The bottom line is that this Sweeting never responded to the OP's messages (that's plural!) for an appointment.

So, regardless of the awning situation you mention, the OP's beef is not getting a return call regarding an appointment.
By Sweeting giving those excuses, it indicates that they take responsibility and are just not owning up to doing anything.

Sweeting did not say that someone else did the awning job and was not his fault.
He did not say "call the awning people."
One can assume that Sweeting did both jobs but not at the same time???
If not, the OP needed to make it more clear, but that does not appear to be the case.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

I had the opposite situation with Sweeting LLC, they did an excellent job, in the expected time frame, and did everything that was expected. I would and have recommended them several times.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I had the opposite situation with Sweeting LLC, they did an excellent job, in the expected time frame, and did everything that was expected. I would and have recommended them several times.
I was thinking there was another side to the story. I hate when a decent business doesn't have someone to ask questions to defend them.

Bonnie. READ the original post. Usually the awnings are installed by an awning installer and the screens by a screener. I was only trying to be fair to people who work in a community where residents are VERY outspoken and sometimes do not state a clear picture.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-24-2018 at 09:12 PM.

Tags
repair, lanai, crew, needed, left

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.