A/C Duct Cleaning

Closed Thread
Old 11-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Default A/C Duct Cleaning

a/c duct cleaning. How do you rate: Wright Way Duct Cleaning?
Any others to recommend?
Old 11-12-2014, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,380 Times in 2,400 Posts

Just wondering so did a google search. For more info HVAC Duct Cleaning: Scam or Worth It? | Today's Homeowner

Should I Have Ducts Cleaned?
Due to growing concerns about indoor air quality, its easy to convince homeowners that their ducts need cleaning. But unless ducts are really dirty, theres no reason to clean them. The EPA takes a similar stance on the issue, recommending cleaning only if the ducts and HVAC unit are contaminated.

If done properly, duct cleaning doesnt hurt; but its not something that needs to be on your regular home maintenance list. You probably dont need to have your ducts and HVAC system cleaned unless:

Renovation: If your home has been remodeled especially if there was asbestos abatement, lead paint removal, or significant dust your ductwork may need to be cleaned. Ducts should be sealed off during home renovations; but if they werent, dangerous dust and debris may become lodged inside the ductwork.
Animals: If theres evidence of animal infestation or nesting in your ducts or HVAC system, have the animals removed then clean the ductwork and HVAC unit.
Mold: If there is visible mold growth inside the ductwork, the ducts and HVAC system should be cleaned.
Contaminants: If noticeable debris, pet hair, odors, or other contaminants are being released into the room through the ducts after the registers have been cleaned and vacuumed; then the ducts may need to be cleaned.
Illness: If someone in your family is suffering from an unexplained allergy-related illness, and youve taken every other possible step to decontaminate your home, you may want to consider having your ducts cleaned to see if the HVAC system was the culprit.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:03 PM
Eternal Member

When I had my HVAC system replaced in 2012 (after 11 years), I had the ducts cleaned. You will not believe what an accumulation of dust/dirt,etc there was up there.

My returns are in the ceiling. When they guy came out of the return he was covered with gray from the stuff that came out.

I think that I will have the ducts cleaned every five years or so - regardless of what you posted.

Z
Old 11-13-2014, 07:58 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

HVAC duct cleaning required that the contractor have an HVAC license from the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation. A check of their licensing records revealed that Wright Way Duct Cleaning was not listed as a licensed duct cleaner. Forewarned is forearmed.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:32 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I have Chuck Farrell do annual maintenance on the A/C. So far he has not recommended cleaning the ducts. I have faith that if they need it, he will tell me.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.