canvas roof cover on birdcage

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

I drove down El Camino Real looking for this birdcage, but couldn't find it. I thought it would be easy to spot ???
Old 07-31-2011, 03:44 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
I drove by one today. It looked like a tent without walls. Not unattractive. The wind? Good question for the installer.
Yea, that's what I want my neighbors birdcages to look like...a tent with no walls. Am I the only one that thinks this is a bit cheesy?
Old 07-31-2011, 05:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Yea, that's what I want my neighbors birdcages to look like...a tent with no walls. Am I the only one that thinks this is a bit cheesy?
I will reserve my judgement until I have actually seen one.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:15 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Let me take a guess. It will look like a birdcage with a canvas on the top. It's true we are the mercy of our neighbors
Old 08-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
A birdcage with a canvas top sounds pretty inoffensive. I assume the canvas would be a neutral colour and not fuchia. I guess we'd all like to see one. Can anyone post a picture here (for those of us not currently in residence)?
Old 08-01-2011, 01:43 PM

What happens to the canvas during a hurricane? The awnings on your house unsnap and you can put them away so they don't act like a sail, but canvas coverings on the lanai, I don't know.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfal View Post
What happens to the canvas during a hurricane? The awnings on your house unsnap and you can put them away so they don't act like a sail, but canvas coverings on the lanai, I don't know.
I was told by my contractor that the state of florida code wouldn't allow a canvas roof on a bird cage!
Old 09-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Veteran member

Another alternative to the roof cover is to have a sunbrella awning installed inside the bird cage. Mine is motorized (12' by 16')and allows me to keep it closed during the Winter months and open it in the summer for shade. It is free standing so there are no verical posts. With the push of a button, one can open and close the awning at any time. Should anyone want to see the setup, please leave me a private message. I am located in the Village of Bonnybrook..
Old 09-24-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarbuckSammy View Post
What does it look like? Are there any pictures of it? What about wind?
Good question. Also what about durability? Will they fade? What is the life expectancy of the canvas cover?
Old 09-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
I was told by my contractor that the state of florida code wouldn't allow a canvas roof on a bird cage!
Isn't anyone concerned about this? Is TV trying to placate a certain group without concern for the Florida laws?

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren L Miller View Post
Good question. Also what about durability? Will they fade? What is the life expectancy of the canvas cover?
I'd think canvas might rot and smell like .... Wet tent ... with the rain and humidity.

A former Girl Guide
Old 09-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
Isn't anyone concerned about this? Is TV trying to placate a certain group without concern for the Florida laws?
You are making an assumption that a "contractor" knows what he is talking about.

No doubt TV ran this change through legal channels prior to making it. Additionally, the canvas top is not "on" the bird cages. It's on it's own frame which is attached to the bird cage. That's probably what makes the difference.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
We decided against it seeing it's not good with the state of florida's code.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Platinum member

I saw two of them last week, and I was surprised that they didn't look too bad. They're on the right side of Buena Vista heading south from Glenview, before you get to 466.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 PM

Prices have definitely gone up (quite a bit). I spoke to Russell at Sunshine Awnings and he said the cost is $13 to $14 a square foot. Easy enough to calculate a 15 x 20 birdcage = $3,900-$4,200. I thought that was really expensive for canvas. Also, one of the contractors stated that if a birdcage collapses the warranty is void if a canvas covering is installed on the roof. As they say "let the buyer beware"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.