Ceiling Fan Installer Recommendations

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2017, 02:21 PM
Default Ceiling Fan Installer Recommendations

I know I've seen recommendations for ceiling fan installers on these pages before, but I did a search and can't find much.

We're moving into a new courtyard villa in Fenney in Jan and we'd like to have 3 inside and 1 outside fan installed. The boxes are there in the ceilings, and we might also want some type of wall switch control installed. I assume there is a wall switch that controls the fan, but it would only be on/off unless we switch it out to a speed control?

Any installer recommendations would be appreciated. Also did you meet with the installer before you bought your fans and switchs or did you just go out and buy them on your own first?
Old 12-17-2017, 02:32 PM
Sage

Make sure the boxes are "fan duty", if not you will need an electrician-if the boxes are "fan duty any licensed any-many can hang them
Old 12-17-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Make sure the boxes are "fan duty", if not you will need an electrician-if the boxes are "fan duty any licensed any-many can hang them
Yes I think they are already fan box ready, and I think they're controlled by a wall switch but not totally sure. We're currently in PA and won't return until closing, so I can't go check them.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:55 PM

David Wilt - 352.470.7917
Old 12-17-2017, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Dan's Fan City will install the fan for free as long as you spend $200 or more for the fan. I think it is a good deal and for $200 you can get a fan with remote control, so you don't even need the wall switch.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:05 PM

No on Dan’s Fans. We had them install fans. Installer was messy. Then tried to charge us more because it took him longer. Very unprofessional. Would not recommend.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

OP, if you contact Sumter County building department, you should be able to get your house plans emailed to you. From these there is a key chart that will tell you the type of box, and the wiring to the box. If you are lucky, your house will be wired like ours, there will be a cable with the 3rd RED wire between the fan box and the wall switch. This will allow the installation of an off the shelf, fan control switch for both the light and the fan speed. Since this does NOT involve changes to the actual wiring, this can be a do it yourself project, or your basic handyman.
The biggest concern is to make sure the boxes installed are suitable for ceiling fans, if not, then I agree with the previous comment that your will need a licensed electrician.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, if you contact Sumter County building department, you should be able to get your house plans emailed to you. From these there is a key chart that will tell you the type of box, and the wiring to the box. If you are lucky, your house will be wired like ours, there will be a cable with the 3rd RED wire between the fan box and the wall switch. This will allow the installation of an off the shelf, fan control switch for both the light and the fan speed. Since this does NOT involve changes to the actual wiring, this can be a do it yourself project, or your basic handyman.
The biggest concern is to make sure the boxes installed are suitable for ceiling fans, if not, then I agree with the previous comment that your will need a licensed electrician.
What if I'm not planning to use lights on the fans? Would I just cap off this 3rd red wire and just not use it?
Old 12-18-2017, 07:24 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Dave Wilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
David Wilt - 352.470.7917
Mary an I used Dave also he was an electrician and is also very neat.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Tango View Post
What if I'm not planning to use lights on the fans? Would I just cap off this 3rd red wire and just not use it?
Yes, in our house the wire was capped off, and I reused it when I added the light kits.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Yes, in our house the wire was capped off, and I reused it when I added the light kits.
Thanks for your help.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:40 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

We used Lenhart Electric. Bought our fans on line at Build.com. Great prices. Lenhart did a great job. Put up 5 fans in under 4 hours at a flat rate per fan. Boxes were already there.

Tags
fan, switch, installer, recommendations, ceiling

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.