Closed Caption - HDTV Stations

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Eternal Member
Default Closed Caption - HDTV Stations

I have relied on the closed caption facility of television for many years now. Every once in a while FX loses the closed caption and I call and complain, reach deaf ears and but it eventually gets fixed.

The other day, I went down to COMCAST and got a digital cable/DVR box so I could watch the HDTV stations on my HDTV TV. Imagine my dismay when there was no closed caption on any of the HDTV channels. The sister station in non-HDTV had closed caption.

Is anyone out there that uses closed caption on COMCAST been able to find a solution for this? OR do you put up with no closed caption on the HDTV channels?

Thanks.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:33 AM
Sage
Default Re: Closed Caption - HDTV Stations

Caveman.... I do not subscribe to Comcast HD service but I do get a number of HD channels anyway. I bought a Samsung Plasma HDTV hooked up to standard Comcast CATV coming out of the wall. When I did a channel scan on the Samsung, it found about 15 HD channels (all the networks, PBS, HGTV, Golf Channel, Discovery HD, WB network, and a few others, but no ESPN). For instance, CBS is channel 6, HD CBS is 6-1; ABC is ch9, HD 9-1, Fox is 35-1). Apparently, samsung has a QAM tuner built into it that recognizes these "split" channels.

OK...that's how I get HD. When viewing any of these HD channels, I can get closed captioning with no problem (very crisp text too). Hope this helps you (or others who have Samsung or similar TVs with QAM tuner capability)
Old 08-26-2007, 08:23 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks. Unfortunately that does not help with my Sony. Sony Chat could not help and the Operating guide did not help. Any time you call with a CC question, the people on the other end think you are stupid. I guess Comcast chat is next.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:35 PM

Have you changed or added the CC:Source settings with the remote. I did this for my mother-in-law by clicking the settings button 2 clicks and finding the closed caption section did several changes to find the correct setting for CC.

If you did this and still no CC, then either a tech needs to come out or take it back to comcast for exchange. I would make an appt for a tech and have them send a replacement unit out with it.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Eternal Member

Somehow I managed to get this post in two places. I did not realize I was in the Contractors and Service When I first posted so I reposted in the General area. Thought I did something wrong and it did not get posted. I have been answering the General Post one.

After my usual miserable experience with Sony and Comcast chat, I went to Google and did some searches and found outabout enabling the CC from the remote box. Everything is working fine now.

Too bad there is noting in either book that they gave me about the Menu option on the remote. Could have saved a lot of time and aggravation.

Thanks for the information.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.