Contractor

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2017, 10:04 PM
Default Contractor

Who could recommend a "Good" contractor to do an expansion on our house here in The Villages? Thanks
Old 08-16-2017, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,155 Times in 2,250 Posts

Please try searching this site, try expansion, contractor, etc., there have been many threads about good and bad contractors, also you probably need to be a little more specific.
Also, save yourself some possible future problems, contact ARC directly with your proposed plans to see if this will be acceptable, you may need a final set of plans to a final decision. I prefer to get ARC approval myself, as I relied on a contractor to do this once, and they did not file the forms....
Also, I would make a follow-up call to the building department to confirm all the required permits are pulled, had a problem with this also, showed up 18 months later, long story.
Finally, double check license, insurance, etc., with whatever contractor you pick, a call to Seniors against Crime should help with this. For big jobs, the contractor may file a lien against your house, so HOLD final payment until your get a letter of release of the lien.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:15 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Please try searching this site, try expansion, contractor, etc., there have been many threads about good and bad contractors, also you probably need to be a little more specific.
Also, save yourself some possible future problems, contact ARC directly with your proposed plans to see if this will be acceptable, you may need a final set of plans to a final decision. I prefer to get ARC approval myself, as I relied on a contractor to do this once, and they did not file the forms....
Also, I would make a follow-up call to the building department to confirm all the required permits are pulled, had a problem with this also, showed up 18 months later, long story.
Finally, double check license, insurance, etc., with whatever contractor you pick, a call to Seniors against Crime should help with this. For big jobs, the contractor may file a lien against your house, so HOLD final payment until your get a letter of release of the lien.
Hope this helps.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:29 AM

We just finished having our lanai expanded with roof over it. Fortin Construction did the work for us and did a fine job. Quality work and if I need anything else done like this I would definitely give them a call. They cleaned up everyday, did not block in any driveways or the street and were very professional.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:32 AM

We have had Demetri Homes complete 2 additions on our home. They take care of all the ARC approvals. They are family owned and have been in business for over 30 years. I picked them from recommendations on this site. You will not be disappointed. Call Jim Arvanitis (352) 427-2787.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-16-2017, 09:33 AM

Agree as always with Villagetink. Makes very slid points and he will help you avoid mistakes/ problems that can prove to be very expensive
Old 08-16-2017, 09:36 AM

Also be VERY aware of those that "just had a cancellation and can fit you in now for just 50% down" RUN don't walk from these characters
Closed Thread

Tags
contractor, house, villages, recommend, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.