Shower re-model - Jetta Stone vs. Onyx vs. ??

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2021, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts
Default Shower re-model - Jetta Stone vs. Onyx vs. ??

It's time to renovate a bit and I'd like to get rid of the shower tile and grout.

No prior experience in this and I'm not up for a DIY on this. I'd like input on experiences with shower remodels, both the material used and the installer / contractor. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I had Jetta Stone remodel my master bath in September. Price wise, I had two estimates, Doc's Restorations was $11,500 and Jetta Stone was $8,100, however their estimate didn't include everything.

I've been a general contractor twice on homes I've built in the past. So dealing with subs and getting what you want, is not a problem for me. I say this because Jetta Stone has a flooring contractor, if you want new tile or wood floors and a plumbing contractor. However, you have to negotiate with them separately and you need to buy your flooring on your own, which is good because you're not limited to maybe a couple choices. As for the plumbing fixtures, the plumber will only install new items that he sells. So don't bother looking at HD or Lowes for a new faucet, or saving the old one if it's almost new like mine was, or a new toilet, because he has to supply them. It's somewhat difficult to use a different plumber if you wanted, because the estimate will include the shower head, shower controls, and shower hand holds installed by that plumber. So it was easiest to just let him do it all and buy his faucet and toilet.

The toilet he sold me was a Kohler for $280, and I was going to get a slightly cheaper Kohler from HD for $210. I had gotten a new sink faucet last year, so I had the demo guys save my faucet only to find out he won't install it even if it looks brand new, so I bought a Moen faucet from him that was $165.00. For him to provide the toilet and the faucet and the install on both came to $850.

The flooring guy was a better deal. I went to the Floor Shoppe on 301 in Wildwood and ordered 65 SF of 1'x2' tile, they came in boxes of 20 SF, I had to buy 80 SF. It was only $120 but with shipping came to $195. He removed the old baseboards and linoleum, installed the new tile floors, provided the colored grout and new baseboards and he was $525. I also bought my own new Vanity Light from Lowes website for $60 and installed that myself, and I bought the cabinet knobs myself for $20 and they installed them on the vanity. I bought a new towel rack and toilet holder from Lowes and installed them myself.

That's why I say it was more than $8,100, the total was about $9,500. I had two more places I was considering for estimates because of reviews. Neither was Onyx, I have not heard of them. I skipped calling these places because I had Jetta Stone come over in early June and he didn't have an opening until late September, so I didn't want to waste anymore time. I was having new floors installed in early September by the Floor Shoppe and wanted to have everything done by the end of September.

It was Home Pro Bath in Lady Lake, they have great reviews and seem like a budget oriented contractor. They have a showroom on 845 Teague Trail Suite #2 Lady Lake, FL 32159.

Welcome Home

The other was Kitchen & Bath Studios of Ocala, which has an office on 466 just east of Morse in the tan shopping center.

Kitchen & Bath Studios Of Ocala LLC - Home

I don't have any great photos, it's hard to take good pictures in a small room. This will show you the floors, baseboards, the vanity and the countertop.

The Villages Florida
Old 03-01-2021, 04:58 PM
Veteran member

If you're just talking about just the shower, we went with resurfacing using Artistic Design. We saw their samples at Marian Markets. You pick the colors and they cover tile and grout for less than 2K. Our walls were in good shape but the bottom pan was not. Resurfacing the pan and a couple of inches up the wall cost us $650. The product they use smells really bad for a day or so and it takes 3 days to set but it's very durable and looks great.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:54 AM

We chose Jettastone for a master shower replacement 5 years ago
Very satisfied, with Adam the owner and his contractors
The shower is a pleasure to use and clean
I do recommend this company from my past experience
Closed Thread

Tags
shower, diy, input, experiences, remodels

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.