Painted driveway questions

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Default Painted driveway questions

I'm curious to know more about painted driveways. I like the look but is it purely for aesthetic reasons folks have it done or are there other reasons to do it? What upkeep is required? How much do they typically charge to paint a driveway?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Veteran member

Painted driveways need periodic sealing and then seem to eventually fade anyway. I suggest you drive through the 7 - 12 year old neighborhoods to see what happens if not carefully maintained; or how most of them fade anyway (especially certain colors), how yesterday's hot trendy fad designs have become tacky and out of date, how the wrong color or bold pattern detracts from the house, etc. Above all, keep in mind an eventual resale, probably no one wants your initials, or the cute painting of your dogs, etc. so keep your design simple and tasteful..
Before you paint, think long and plan carefully. A lot can go wrong fast.
Cost is by the square foot so final price depends on the length and width of the drive and how fancy you get.
Research your potential painter. It seems to me that most of the driveway painters of a few years ago are no longer around; probably for good reasons! I suggest getting "4 to 6 year ago" references to see how their work and the material they apply really holds up!
Sprayed colored textured concrete seems to be the in thing today. Pretty expensive but so far it seems to hold color better than paint - with the proper annual sealing.
Pavers is also hot. But, The Villages paver applications are really only laying thin veneer bricks on a hard concrete base. All kinds of problems with that application. Real pavers are 4 to 6 inches thick and are laid in a soft bedding of sand or true-pack material for proper load dispersal, drainage and stabilization.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I agree about some do detract from the home. Go to the villages preowned web site and look at the pictures many drives to look at and wonder what were they thinking
Old 06-04-2012, 06:05 AM
Veteran member
Default slippery when wet

My 85 YO father slipped 2 times after a rain. I have spun tires backing in the garage during a rain.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:21 AM

Driveway applications are done usually for appearance reasons since the concrete used in these Florida driveways easily discolors and stains from almost everything; water leaves a rusty stain look, especially when the eaves drain onto the driveway, tires leave a black appearance, iron fertilizer leaves rust spots, etc. I tried the pavers in my first home and they are nice but problems often occur with edge pieces coming loose, cracks, etc. In my current home, I opted for the decorative concrete coating driveway which is absolutely beautiful and is sealed for lasting durability. All driveways must be sealed whether you opt for paint, pavers or coatings, but the concrete coatings lasts for a lifetime if properly sealed every 2-3 years ($100 max) and is far superior in appearance in my opinion and experience. Ram Custom Design did my driveway.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Default Textured driveway paintin

Hello. We would like to have our driveway painted to cover stains that seem impossible to remove. We like the textured look and don't want a slippery material. Does anyone have any suggestions for contractors and the approx. price? Thanks so much.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcuse View Post
Driveway applications are done usually for appearance reasons since the concrete used in these Florida driveways easily discolors and stains from almost everything; water leaves a rusty stain look, especially when the eaves drain onto the driveway, tires leave a black appearance, iron fertilizer leaves rust spots, etc. I tried the pavers in my first home and they are nice but problems often occur with edge pieces coming loose, cracks, etc. In my current home, I opted for the decorative concrete coating driveway which is absolutely beautiful and is sealed for lasting durability. All driveways must be sealed whether you opt for paint, pavers or coatings, but the concrete coatings lasts for a lifetime if properly sealed every 2-3 years ($100 max) and is far superior in appearance in my opinion and experience. Ram Custom Design did my driveway.
We had several quotes on painting our driveway and ended up going with the most expensive, since they were by far the best, and had great references over several years. I knocked on doors whenever i found a design i loved and they were always designed by the same company. Ram Custom Design is in a class by themselves and Carlos is a true artist.He also provides a maintenance program to keep your driveway looking as good as new, years down the road.There are sooooooooooo many scam artist trying to get their foothold in TV, it's nice to deal with a company that is customer service based, still has an adherence to a code of values, and has pride in their workmanship .Just remember if the deal sounds too good to be true............IT IS !!!!!
Old 06-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Painted driveways need periodic sealing and then seem to eventually fade anyway. I suggest you drive through the 7 - 12 year old neighborhoods to see what happens if not carefully maintained; or how most of them fade anyway (especially certain colors), how yesterday'shotterndy fad designs have become tacky and out of date, how the wrong color or bold pattern detracts from the house, etc. Above all, keep in mind an eventual resale, probably no one wants your initials, or the cute painting of your dogs, etc. so keep your design simple and tasteful..
Before you paint, think long and plan carefully. A lot can go wrong fast.
Cost is by the square foot so final price depends on the length and width of the drive and how fancy you get.
Research your potential painter. It seems to me that most of the driveway painters of a few years ago are no longer around; probably for good reasons! I suggest getting "4 to 6 year ago" references to see how their work and the material they apply really holds up!
Sprayed colored textured concrete seems to be the in thing today. Pretty expensive but so far it seems to hold color better than paint - with the proper annual sealing.
Pavers is also hot. But, The Villages paver applications are really only laying thin veneer bricks on a hard concrete base. All kinds of problems with that application. Real pavers are 4 to 6 inches thick and are laid in a soft bedding of sand or true-pack material for proper load dispersal, drainage and stabilization.
I agree with you. But I must be the other only person in TV who thinks this way.

I have seen only two or three driveways I truly, TRULY loved.

And...you don't have to have them done. Nothing bad is gonna happen to your driveway.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Gold member
Default driveway

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirlov View Post
Hello. We would like to have our driveway painted to cover stains that seem impossible to remove. We like the textured look and don't want a slippery material. Does anyone have any suggestions for contractors and the approx. price? Thanks so much.
You will love the liquid concrete work application done by Florida Deck. I would never paint again.

Last edited by Warren Kiefer; 06-05-2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-11-2012, 12:36 PM

Thank you for the suggestions, I will call both Ram Custom Design and Florida Deck to get some ideas and quotes.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

I had my driveway painted at our first retirement home. We sold it and moved to The Villages. Maybe there is something new but I can tell you that the "old" way it was done (even sealing it every year or two) it faded out. This hot Florida sun will fade most anything and everything after a few years. Your roof that may be 25 year shingles will last about half that----if your lucky. Personally, I pass on a decorative driveway. Anything under roof where it doesn't get the direct sun is okay if that is your preference.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Platinum member
Default Pavers

Has anyone had bad luck with the pavers on driveways? They sure look great and seem like they would wear well. I'd love to have your comments as I am preparing to have that done to my driveway.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Gold member

Never could understand this painting of the driveway.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvmyPug2 View Post
I'm curious to know more about painted driveways. I like the look but is it purely for aesthetic reasons folks have it done or are there other reasons to do it? What upkeep is required? How much do they typically charge to paint a driveway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me :-) View Post
We used Costless Driveways and had our driveway/lanai/walks stained. We are happy with the results. At the time (winter 2009/2010) it was $1.10/sq ft

Hank is at 352-255-6535
Fred is at 352-347-9737

Here is a post from another thread showing the results:
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...09-post10.html

Click the above link (garage floors) in my post you will see why we did ours.
Click on the link 'garage floors' in post above to see WHY we did ours.

Fred or Hank told me not expect to seal for about 7 years. They explained why (stain they use, blah, blah), but I was not paying too close of attention .

I check it every year. Two plus years old and looks like the day it was done to my eye. I have also seen driveways almost 4 years old that look the same.

Last edited by ajbrown; 06-11-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added words, click on link
Old 06-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Never could understand this painting of the driveway.
Personal preference, I'd say. Kinda like why some people like certain cars and others don't, for example.

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.