Any recommedation for wood flooring?

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Default Any recommedation for wood flooring?

Looking for wood flooring with good and reliable installation. Has anyone got someone they would recommend and has had a good experience with selection and installation.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:24 PM

John at Floor Masters. Great help in choosing the right flooring and wonderful customer service.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:21 AM

Great Lakes Carpet & Tile on 441 by Lowes has fantastic prices and some of the best installers in the area.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Sage

A question re wood floor maintenance.......PLUS wood vs carpeting.

We just stayed for two weeks in a home with GORGEOUS wood floors.
It was a good "test" as they were something I thought I'd like in TV.
However, even though it was our 45 year old daughter, with boundless energy, who took out the mop and dusted them every single day......they still showed a lot of dust.........and every single soul of the eleven staying there, used the outdoor shower to clean sand from their feet, etc........so it wasn't sand........just normal dust. The house was immaculate, but the gleaming wood floors still showed dust. There were two living rooms with the wood floors.........foyer, steps going up. Berber carpeting in the 4 bedrooms, and family room.

Tile in the kitchen and all the bathrooms......

When we came back home to Vermont and our new carpeting, it felt so comfy and good on my feet...........that I think I will carpet the home in Florida.......with the same exact thickness of pile and pad.........it just feels better than the wood floors.

My question is "Why do people say not to get carpeting in Florida?"

Is it because of roaches underneath...or some type of other bug?????

Living on cement slab floors.........I would think carpeting would be more comfortable and quieter..........definitely quieter.

We had it in our home back in 1972 for one year in Florida....no problems.
We installed it in our condo at the beach on the Gulf Coast......no problems.

Wood flooring looks GORGEOUS..........but carpeting is nice as well.

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions on the matter.

I've also decided NOT TO GET TILE AGAIN........except in the bathrooms.

Not fond of tile in my kitchen here......hard to stand on.
Everyone is now switching to the "resilient" floors for the kitchen....
They have a wood plank look but easier to stand on and to clean.

I just can't imagine myself having to clean LARGE areas, such as foyers and living and dining and kitchen filled with TILE. Even with the I-robot.

I do realize tile would be cooler in the Florida heat........but what about winter? The coldness would radiate up from beneath the cement slab, correct??????
Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 AM
Default Royal Palm Flooring!

They are the only ones who can install wood flooring next to tile without a spacer.( other places tell you it can't be done) They don't have a large overhead and offer quality flooring at a low price. Chuck Abbey, cell 352-272-8963

Royal Palm is the only one Ruth Dyer uses.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Gold member

Had wood and now have tile t/o except for bedrooms. Our 2 dogs made a mess of the wood with their nails and they were harder to maintain.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
Had wood and now have tile t/o except for bedrooms. Our 2 dogs made a mess of the wood with their nails and they were harder to maintain.
IF you have dogs , Laminate flooring is the only way to go. Have my floors down 5 yrs. with 2 greyhounds , floors still look like NEW. Also, easier to maintain.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:07 PM
Default Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candee Rocca View Post
Looking for wood flooring with good and reliable installation. Has anyone got someone they would recommend and has had a good experience with selection and installation.
Wildwood Flooring on 301 by the Post Office. Family owned business. We just had 3 rooms done and couldn't be happier! Expert installers, moved everything and put everything back, including pads on the bottom of the furniture. Hope this helps!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:33 PM

Jason at Fred Nickel LSL
Old 08-28-2013, 07:09 PM

I have two suggestions:
1) East Coast Flooring..Terrific Reputation..nr. Ocala on 441 North.
2) This is really important..have the installers remove the baseboards and re-install the baseboards.
East Coast Flooring does this automatically,also have the installers put pads on the furniture when they put the furniture back.
* Beware of.. Charge for furniture removal and put back., quarter round on the baseboards,that happens when the installers do not remove the baseboards.
Good Luck in your final selection. Hardwood Floors is the way to go..if you have a pet..perhaps Laminate may be a better choice. Carpet ??? You will remove it that's a promise. Tile bathrooms...Kitchen ?? a toss-up between Hardwood/Tile.
Lastly some of the recomendations here I would not waste my time with.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:14 PM

We have recently installed this LAMINATE flooring in our small computer room as a test.

Installed by EAST COAST FLOORING which we highly recommend.

We swapped the plastic castors on the chair for rubber but so far that is the only post installation alteration.

No dusting issues...no scratching issues.

We will run this though-out the home if nothing of great importance arises.

[img=http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t/16550252_FLOOR1.jpg]
Old 08-29-2013, 06:35 AM
Sage

I found an answer to my question of why people vote against carpeting in Florida homes, but not the "insect" answer I was wondering about.....like what might lurk beneath the carpeting.

This post was from 2011 by Duffy's Mom.....
(sorry...........lost the hyperlink and now cannot find it.......posted in 2011)

We have no pets at the moment although we did have lots of Irish Setters when the kids were all growing up at home..........so that's not an issue, re scratching of wood or soiling of carpeting.....

All of our friends and neighbors and relatives went along with the trend up north and installed tile in our kitchens, etc. (and bathrooms which are NOT a problem) and all agree now it was a mistake..........due to the soiling of the grout, the hardness and coldness of the tile re feet, knees and legs..........etc. It is not easy to keep clean.
Unless one has a cleaning lady.

A good quality carpeting with a good pad beneath it .......is so much quieter and comfortable than tile...........even though we plan to list the home for sale, I still had good carpeting installed.........and we love it. Upstairs is next , as the carpeting just arrived at the furniture store's warehouse.............it's a nice neutral "sand color"....and would go with anyone's décor.

I know that the younger generation (my kids included) prefer hardwoods, etc., etc. but after having just stayed in a home with gorgeous gleaming wood floors, I'd say the carpeting is still easier to maintain and much more comfy...........I know about the allergen issue..........but we don't seem to have any allergies and all of the carpeting is stain resistant. While we were gone, none of the contractors left any messes on the carpet.........and they were here painting the upstairs and putting in new replacement windows in the bedrooms........
Old 08-29-2013, 09:51 AM

We purchased our wood floors from Royal Palm Flooring, Todd Durant. He is a Village resident, which I think is a very BIG plus. They are absolutely the best! They removed our floor moldings before the install and replaced them after the floors were laid. Awesome job. Todd and his friend do all the work themselves...no outside crew comes in your home. They are fast and very particular, paid a great attention to detail.

the phone number is 352-205-7650

Good Luck!
Old 08-29-2013, 01:35 PM
Gold member

I believe most of the new converts to wood flooring have never lived in a home with wood floors. It is the newest trend and buzz word but not always the best choice. Carpet is much more comfortable and quiet. Without kids or pets, carpet is the best choice in my view.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:04 PM

Hello, we had our carpets replaced with Laminate wood and love it! I have a big dog, and I must say this floor holds up well and so easy to clean. We had Roberto's Flooring in Colony Plaza do the work ..great job! They gave us samples to take home , to try with our furniture and walls -which worked great! Once they were done, the owner came in and did an inspection and talked to us to make sure we were happy ..Then, sent a cleaner to wipe down the furniture, walls ..drapes and clean the curtains. So were we happy..you bet we are! Customer service and the work performed are top priority on my list and I feel you will be happy with them!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.