DirecTV Searching For Signal

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Default DirecTV Searching For Signal

We've had DirecTV for a little over a month now. Every time it rains it's searching for signal. Does everyone have this problem or could it be a problem in our installation? We had Direct over 10 years ago up north and we never had this many problems.

As I type I can't pull in WESH 2 on the main HD DVR receiver but am able to get it on a standard receiver we have in the kitchen. Are HD stations prone to more problems? I did a search and someone mentioned to switch to the digital broadcast for a local station, but I can't see where we have that station. Any helpful hints/comments are appreciated.

Right now I'm really beginning to miss Comcast!
Old 07-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Veteran member

HD stations do go out in very heavy rains. SD stations almost never go out. DirecTV carries both HD and SD which is why your kitchen TV is working. When your HD signal goes out, change your "favorite list" to "all I get." Now you'll see all the duplicate channels, HD and SD. Tune in to the SD channel until the rain subsides.

I don't miss Comcast.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:23 PM

Maybe I am just fortunate, I have had Directv for a year since moving to TV, I have never lost signal for any period of time. I think I could count on one hand the brief seconds that I have just had a flicker of searching for signal. I know my parents always had direct in KY and they would lose signal every time the wind blows.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:52 PM

DirecTV signals are not reduced or distorted by pure wind. If a signal is lost during winds it might be caused by the antenna shaking or a tree limb blocking the signal. Heavy rain or snow will cause loss of signal. If signal is lost during a light rain call DirecTV and have them send a technician out to adjust the dish. When we had DirecTV installed the technician put a sticker on the remote with his contact information try that first.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdog View Post
HD stations do go out in very heavy rains. SD stations almost never go out. DirecTV carries both HD and SD which is why your kitchen TV is working. When your HD signal goes out, change your "favorite list" to "all I get." Now you'll see all the duplicate channels, HD and SD. Tune in to the SD channel until the rain subsides.

I don't miss Comcast.
Thanks logdog, I remember you or someone else mentioning this before. Only problem is I cannot find on any channel list the duplicate channels in SD to the HD. For example, with WESH, all we have is channel 2. What channels do you tune to for the SD versions? Appreciate your help.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
Thanks logdog, I remember you or someone else mentioning this before. Only problem is I cannot find on any channel list the duplicate channels in SD to the HD. For example, with WESH, all we have is channel 2. What channels do you tune to for the SD versions? Appreciate your help.
1) Go to menu
2) parental, fav's & setup
3) system setup
4) display
5) preferences
6) Guide HD channels
7) show all channels

That should do the trick
Old 07-07-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
1) Go to menu
2) parental, fav's & setup
3) system setup
4) display
5) preferences
6) Guide HD channels
7) show all channels

That should do the trick
Thanks laryb! I'm sure it's probably in the manual someplace, but who reads those cover to cover??? Appreciate your help
Old 07-14-2011, 04:44 PM
KittyKat
Default Rain=lost signal every time!

We have a standard receiver and a standard DVR and they both go out every time we have a rainstorm. Has been happening for the whole two years. Just had the tech out to reposition the dish, which is on a pole, and it continues to go out. I called to cancel and go back to Comcast for the triple play but they transferred me to the "retention" person and instead of $90/month for Choice Extra I now pay $54 so I will continue to put up with the lost signal.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Veteran member

We had DirecTv for maybe 15 years and brought the dish down to TV when we moved here. We would lose the picture whenever heavy storms moved through. Once in TV this would happen as well but not as often as when we lived "up north". Now we've moved over to Prism...and nothing like this happens and it's quite lovely!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenAjd View Post
We had DirecTv for maybe 15 years and brought the dish down to TV when we moved here. We would lose the picture whenever heavy storms moved through. Once in TV this would happen as well but not as often as when we lived "up north". Now we've moved over to Prism...and nothing like this happens and it's quite lovely!
Prism is?
Old 07-14-2011, 06:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Prism is?
New stuff for me as well, Russ. Here's what I found:

http://www.centurylink.com/Pages/Per...yTvMarket.html I selected "Orlando" for the market.

Bill
Old 07-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Sage

It says Prism is not yet in 32162?
Old 07-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Veteran member

I think Prism is just now being made available in TV. I believe you can see it at our Century Link store near SS.

As far as DirecTV is concerned (since we just lost all signals for about 10 minutes in this storm - longest outage so far), you can still watch previously recorded programs, YouTube, TV shows and movies for free on DirecTV Cinema when the regular signal is out.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Gold member

PRISM is available in our part of TV (Hemingway) and is being aggressively marketed. My neighbor had just signed up for DISH and CenturyLink has bought out his two-year contract in order to get his business. I wish them well since it seems the level of competition among the other providers is insufficient to spur customer-friendly behavior. I just wish that they would offer the sports packages that DirecTV does.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.