Don't get taken

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2015, 08:38 PM
Sage
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
Of course a contractor would request a deposit upfront. That goes for anything. Most of the jobs done in The Villages are custom jobs and require custom materials.

A contractor would also require a deposit to assure that after they order the material the buyer doesn't change their minds.

Requesting a deposit isn't just something done in The Villages... Contractors all over the US require deposits.

There is only one contractor that I've hired, in The Villages, who didn't require a deposit and that was Mansfield Landscaping. All others do.
wait a minute you work for Mansfield....you did state that on the forum!
Old 01-30-2015, 08:41 PM
Sage

Angies list says avoid contractors looking for $$ up front

see the article
Old 01-30-2015, 08:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We've never paid a deposit up front on any work we've had done here.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:51 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We've never paid a deposit up front on any work we've had done here.
There are many many people who do. For some reason they get sucked into the sales pitch. A lawyer told me something a long time ago.
If they can say it, They can write it. Protect yourself.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:42 PM
Sage
Default deposits

I paid a deposit to The Villages before they would build my home, Pikes Electric before they would order my lights, to Nickel Tile before they would order my back splash, Michelle's Hide a Way, the people who put the drawers in under my cabinet and the custom cabinet maker before he built my murphy bed. I had no problem with it and felt pretty secure they were mostly making sure that I had skin in the game before they bought the supplies to do the work.

I don't work for Mansfield Landscaping.. But for the sake of argument... let's say I do.... He still doesn't take any money up front. To my knowledge... he's the only landscaper who doesn't. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong)
Old 01-30-2015, 09:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
I paid a deposit to The Villages before they would build my home, Pikes Electric before they would order my lights, to Nickel Tile before they would order my back splash, Michelle's Hide a Way, the people who put the drawers in under my cabinet and the custom cabinet maker before he built my murphy bed. I had no problem with it and felt pretty secure they were mostly making sure that I had skin in the game before they bought the supplies to do the work.

I don't work for Mansfield Landscaping.. But for the sake of argument... let's say I do.... He still doesn't take any money up front. To my knowledge... he's the only landscaper who doesn't. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong)
Not true. Jamie's didn't take any $ up front for our landscaping, Brandon didn't take any $ up front for our friends'. This was in 2011 and 2012. Stellar didn't want $ up front for our landscaping (we didn't use him), and neither did one other landscaping co. we got an estimate from, whose name I cannot remember.

We had living and dining room tiled, lanai tiled, front walk bricked, extra lock security work done, and electrical work done in the lanai. We paid up front for none of it.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Not true. Jamie's didn't take any $ up front for our landscaping, Brandon didn't take any $ up front for our friends'. This was in 2011 and 2012. Stellar didn't want $ up front for our landscaping (we didn't use him), and neither did one other landscaping co. we got an estimate from, whose name I cannot remember.

We had living and dining room tiled, lanai tiled, front walk bricked, extra lock security work done, and electrical work done in the lanai. We paid up front for none of it.
Thank you for your response, I wasn't sure about the landscapers. I was clearly guessing.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:32 AM

I would never pay up front for any kind of service,I`ve learned my lesson from being burnt before.A quality contractor of any sorts will wait til the job is finished to get paid.If you are forced at least use your credit card that way if something does go wrong you can dispute the charge.I`ve done this before.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Any contractor who can't cover their materials is under-capitalized and isn't someone you should hire.
jimbo is absolutely right!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.