driveway finishing

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Default driveway finishing

After talking to people, we are more confused about the best type of finishing for the driveway. Some say pavers, others like stamped or troweled concrete. I know a lot is just a matter if taste. However, from your experience, what are the pros and cons of different finishes? Thanks
Old 07-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Veteran member

We have the Chattahoochie river rock with an epoxy sealer. Looks great but needs to be resealed every year ($250) or more frequently. It gets hazy. If anyone knows how to remedy this, let me know.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Sage

I have a painted driveway and it, too, must be cleaned and sealed just about every year. Friends have pavers that also must be cleaned and sealed, probably yearly.

Getting a driveway design, paint, stamped concrete or pavers is all a matter of taste. All will require some maintenance. If you're driving around the community and see a driveway you like, ask the homeowner who did the work. Villagers love to share info with fellow Villagers. I remember when Mike and I were looking at various driveways around our village, we saw one we liked and inquired with the homeowners about who did their work. They were very lovely people, invited us in, showed us some other work that had been done on their lovely home.
Just make sure you absolutely love what you choose....it's there for quite a long time.....
Old 07-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Gold member

I have had paint (never again) My neighbor has the thin pavers, some are coming loose and many have cracked, another neighbor has the 2 inch pavers and they are working out well. I now have what I think best of all, the liquid concrete application. The color is throughout the application and nearly maintainence free. I really like the work of Foorida Deck and Pool for the liquid concrete application.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Sage

Is this a TV thing to coat, paint stain etc.

What's the problem with the natural concrete.

Never see done in the north east

Why R many owners doing this?
Old 07-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post

I guess most everyone is retired and need things to do to fill out the day, like maintain a decorated driveway. I like concrete too, the grass and gardens are enough maintenance for me!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

looking at two houses one painted drive with their initals and one with pavers with weird design... not a fan of either, so as long as you plan to stay in the house pick what you like
Old 07-23-2012, 06:54 AM
Veteran member
Default Snow

Quote:

It is a Florida thing. Snow shovels and snow plows would do damage in the northeast.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:58 AM
Veteran member
Default Painted

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfield View Post
After talking to people, we are more confused about the best type of finishing for the driveway. Some say pavers, others like stamped or troweled concrete. I know a lot is just a matter if taste. However, from your experience, what are the pros and cons of different finishes? Thanks
My sister has a Painted driveway. It is slippery when wet and is starting to get that "milky look". (3 years old) We still have the concrete look.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Sage

Our driveway and sidewalk were painted to conceal stains made by fertilizer, rain, who knows what else. It can be slippery when wet, but the last time we had it sealed, extra "gripping" material was added to the sealer. So far, the milky appearance has not manifested, it's been 5 years I believe. Nothing wrong with regular concrete, but the stains were bad and we didn't have F9 Restorations around at the time...
Old 07-24-2012, 09:53 AM

Does any one have a phone number for Florida Deck? I can't seem to find it in the phone book or the internet.....
Old 07-24-2012, 10:01 AM

We got our driveway painted to conceal the ugly color of concrete down here. The driveway also had stains we could not get rid of.
I would NOT recommend painting a driveway. Even after we sealed it every year it continues to fade.
Our neighbors have pavers and are fairly happy. The problems with pavers are they crack & move around when you walk on them. And $$$$$.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Sage

Quote:

Our reason in this post:

Why we stained our driveway
Old 07-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Veteran member

Paver applications in TV are really only laying thin veneer bricks on a hard concrete base. Maybe a thin layer of sand is applied but that soon washes away. There are all kinds of problems with that application. Real pavers are 4 to 6 inches thick and are laid in a 4 to 6 inch soft bedding of sand or tru-pack material for proper load dispersal, drainage, and stabilization. As further evidence of the misapplication, true pavers that have been properly fired and are placed in a base with proper drainage, should not have to be sealed.

As an aside, I have not been in many Deep south communities that have the fixation that The Villagers have to decorate their concrete drives. I don't think any of the products being offered can really stand up to the harsh Florida heat and solar conditions or can retain its orginal appearance without extensive maintenance.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Gold member

It's concrete for us. I'm a tinkerer and really need somplace to set up horses and generally play. I'm pretty sure some fancy, schmancy driveway creation would not work for us.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.