electric work in attic

Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2021, 10:39 AM
Platinum member
Default electric work in attic

Can someone recommend a licensed electrictian who has not minded working i a hot attic?

I have many names of electricians, but would prefer to call someone that you have used and does attic work. I need 2 ceiling fans installed in two bedrooms. Neither has a ceiling light so a complete box needs to be installed.

Thank you.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:11 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
Can someone recommend a licensed electrictian who has not minded working i a hot attic?

I have many names of electricians, but would prefer to call someone that you have used and does attic work. I need 2 ceiling fans installed in two bedrooms. Neither has a ceiling light so a complete box needs to be installed.

Thank you.
Expect to pay a premium for attic work
Old 05-04-2021, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

I may have some good news for you, Lowes carries an 'OLD work' kit for ceiling fans that can be installed from inside the house. It will support 75 pounds. That leaves the wiring, which will require attic access. IMHO, work with the electrician to schedule the work as early as possible in the morning. At least this approach will limit time in the attic. I have used R&A, ECI, Leonhart's and Galaxy for various projects that required attic access.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,081 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I may have some good news for you, Lowes carries an 'OLD work' kit for ceiling fans that can be installed from inside the house. It will support 75 pounds. That leaves the wiring, which will require attic access. IMHO, work with the electrician to schedule the work as early as possible in the morning. At least this approach will limit time in the attic. I have used R&A, ECI, Leonhart's and Galaxy for various projects that required attic access.
Good advise. I have used one of these kits, very easy. Make a hole the size of the required junction box and an expandable bracket goes through the hole that attaches to the ceiling joists on either side. There are creative ways to snake romex electrical wire through the attic without having to do much crawling through blown in insulation. I use a long thin fiberglass pole that has sections that can be attached to reach the desired length. It is the same fiberglass pole that I can attach a wire brush to one end to clean out the chimney of my pellet stove up north. The hardest part of the job is snaking the romex up from a wall switch into the attic, which often requires drilling a hole through a stud inside the top of the wall. However, some new ceiling fans can simply be hardwired and then controlled by a battery powered remote control, no wall switch wiring necessary. Good Luck : )
Old 05-04-2021, 09:52 PM
Platinum member

Pike's Electric did some attic work for us.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:37 AM
Veteran member

I've also had Pike's do attic work for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
Pike's Electric did some attic work for us.
Closed Thread

Tags
attic, installed, ceiling, work, fans

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.