Electrician?

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2018, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts
Question Electrician?

I am looking at adding a dedicated 20amp/115volt line to my rear patio. Does anyone know the ball park cost of such service? It will be attached to our enclosed lanai and will need a disconnect box. The disconnect box is optional.

Does anyone know of an electrician that is willing to hazard the attic area to run the line from the circuit box located in the garage?
Old 10-09-2018, 08:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Lenhart's and ECI did similar work for me, figure on at least $250, both go into the attic for the new wiring. Going to the lanai you will need a GFI, I suggest using a GFI receptacle if you can, much less expensive than a GFI breaker. Disconnect is typically required for applications where the equipment cannot be unplugged.

NOTE: if this is for a hot tub/spa, you will also need a spa permit, i know i have been there and done that.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Lenhart's and ECI did similar work for me, figure on at least $250, both go into the attic for the new wiring. Going to the lanai you will need a GFI, I suggest using a GFI receptacle if you can, much less expensive than a GFI breaker. Disconnect is typically required for applications where the equipment cannot be unplugged.

NOTE: if this is for a hot tub/spa, you will also need a spa permit, i know i have been there and done that.
Thank you very much. No, it's not for a hot tub, and yes it will be for a hard wired project. That's why I want a non-fuse disconnect box. I would do the wiring myself, but I have no wish to crawl around in the attic on my previously repaired knees.
Once again, thank you. Good advice on the GFI.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post

Does anyone know of an electrician that is willing to hazard the attic area to run the line from the circuit box located in the garage?
Pike's Electric did that for us to add outlets to the concrete posts in our lanai. Did a great job... even chiseled out the posts to the outlets would be flush mounted.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
Pike's Electric did that for us to add outlets to the concrete posts in our lanai. Did a great job... even chiseled out the posts to the outlets would be flush mounted.
Thank you.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Byte1, Good points above, in my case the wiring was actually outside the lanai, and the electrician used plastic conduit for the wiring. I painted the conduit to match the house. If you do not want to see the wiring (aka conduit), the job will be more expensive as they will need to chisel out a channel for the conduit, then you will need a stucco guy to repair the wall. In my house the concrete block was filled with concrete, so it was not practical to run the conduit inside the blocks. You can test drill your wall with concrete bits to see if they are filled. Also, since the device is non-disconnectable, the the extrenal disconnect switch needs to be visible from the device.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
Similar experience here, except with Lenharts. They ran a line for an outlet and HDMI cable for my wall mounted tv on the lanai. I had no desire to see conduit or wires. I highly recommend both Lenhart and Pike.
Closed Thread

Tags
box, disconnect, electrician, line, circuit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.