Enclosing Lanai

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Enclosing Lanai

We are thinking of enclosing our Lanai using acrylic. I did a search and got a lot of great information. Since we plan on having AC vents installed we are wondering if we need to insulate. Also I would love know if you are happy you enclosed the Lanai and who would you recommend. Thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Hi Duffysmom (and Duffy),

We enclosed ours - but with glass and not acrylic. Code here (in Sumter) is that if you use acrylic and you plan to have air conditioning, you need to put in a dedicated AC unit - costing about $5000. Glass cost about $500 more than acrylic - and may have tax implications - but it would take a lot of increased taxes to eat up the net difference of $4500. So we just had duct work put in for the AC. Munns estimated that we had enough capacity - but I would definitely check that for your type of home. Our friends have a Lantana and they needed to do a separate unit due to the size of the lanai.

Also, glass is much easier to keep clean. We used express windows and love our lanai. We did add insulation above the lanai.

PM me if you would like to see how it looks.

Kate (and Finley)
Old 08-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Gold member
Default enclosing lanai

my neighbor (Courtyard Villa neighborhood) enclosed theirs, but put a separate above the door (above their slider from the LR) a/c unit - as I recall it was about 2-3 feet long and maybe 8 inches high. Their lanai is west facing, also have sunshades. Said they were happy with it. I think because of the west exposure, they were told to install the separate a/c unit

Maybe I'll change my mind once I move there permanently, but I love sitting on the screened lanai most mornings and evenings (we eat almost every meal out there when the weather is nice). Also love to sit and read in rainy/cool weather with a comfy afghan and enjoy the rain/fresh air. Agree not so nice when it's really hot or really cool, but then I've always been a porch person. We have no privacy or noise issues in the CYV so I don't think I'll ever enclose mine, but everyone has their own preferences.

I can probably find out more details about the a/c unit if you need it, so pm me if needed.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Kate & Ohiogirl, thanks so much for your generous responses. I'm getting some estimates and having a hard time deciding to enclose or not to enclose but as it is, we hardly use the lanai in the Summer and I think we would get more use if we had it enclosed. I like the idea of stacking windows so that we could have it open in the good weather. The best of both worlds. I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:34 AM

DO NOT USE ...........ADVANCED CONSTRUCTION........who supposedly reside in the villages "Southern Trace" the woman who runs it is named Mac Freeman..The owner is Richard Ortengren but she runs the show. phone 352-350-1215
Had my lanai enclosed with acrylic in June, it started to rain so they had to come back to complete the job. also there were flaws in two panels so they needed to be ordered and replaced. I was leaving for NY next day so they were to complete the job and my neighbor was to check on it.
Well my neighbor checks every week and every week there are leaks and water in my lanai. I call them they go back and caulk it and next week it leaks again. My neighbors tell me that the caulking looks like a little kid was playing with putty ..My neighbor who at the time was good enough (for them) to sign off on the job..now apparantly is not good enough to relay this information to me, now they tell me that I have to come look at the job before they will repair the problem. Im not going down until October..Lovely!
I am very unhappy with the job and so sorry I did not take the advice that some people on TOTV gave to me and should never have gone with ADVAVCED CONSTRUCTION...
I will continue to try to have the problems corrected and will keep you updated and let you know if they were willing to satisfy this customer and fix the problems'''Laura

Last edited by BETHPAGE BLACK; 08-09-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Advanced Construction

Thanks Laura, Sorry to hear about your angst with Advanced Construction. Hopefully all will be well when you return and can supervise the idiots.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:57 PM

I have seen many references in the posts under this topic about the tax implications of glass versus acrylic. Could someone give an estimate of what the implication could be annually for enclosing the lanai? I have a CYV that we plan to enclose when we return this fall. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:45 AM
Veteran member
Default Tax credit

If you get florida energy efficiant glass, we were told that a $1600 income tax credit could be had. Dose anyone know if this is true?
Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 AM
Veteran member
Question Tax Credit

The right kind of glass can score you a TAX CREDIT! We were told that installation of "Florida E Glass" will qualify the homeowner for a $1600 tax credit. Anyone know anything about this?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Sage

You can go to www.IRS.gov and do a search on "Home Energy Credit". Form 5695 for 2008 has a "what's new for 2009" paragraph in which it mentions replacing windows. There is also the text script of an interview on home energy credits dated 5/7/09 in which a top credit of $1,500. is stated.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Thumbs up Enclosing Lanai

We had our back lanai (we have an Amarillo ranch) enclosed with acrylic windows (side-sliders) and had our concrete pad extended to the end of the house and added on a birdcage. Now we have the best of both worlds!

We also had our front "lanai" (started out as an open porch, but was under roof) first screened, then later enclosed with acrylics. WE LOVE THEM BOTH! Not only did it add 365 days a year more usable square footage to our home, but it gives us flexibility. We didn't add additional A/C or heat (ceiling fan in the back and floor fan in the front). We opted for clear windows and had vertical blinds installed for heat/sun control. It works for us and at minimal expense.

When we're home, we keep our access doors to the "added" rooms open and, with the fans, we get adequate ventilation. They are a bit warmer than the main body of the house, but quite livable. In the winter they are cooler than the rest of the house, but not unusable. We did not add insulation to either roof. The best part is when the summer heat passes, we can open up all the windows and let the beautiful breezes blow through.

We used Quality Aluminum, owner Blake Keedy, (352-326-9090) and are more than satisfied with his work and work ethic. We initially had a few leaks in the newly finished rooms. We'd call and Blake would come out within a day and bring his guys to fix it. One persistent leak took about 4 visits, but they kept coming out until it was tight and their work is very neat.

You will LOVE having your lanai enclosed (IMHO). BTW, we are in the Village of Amelia.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:51 PM

UPDate to ADVANCED CONSTRUCTION...
I Spoke with owner of compay Rich Ortengren today and he has advised that he will go out to my home and repair the caulking in my enclosed lanai to fix the leaks that are there..Also states they will remove old caulking and redo it all..
He was very upset with me because I didnt contact him directly and only spoke with his office mgr. He felt this was disrespectful and unjust to post on this site. "He has stated to me that all lanais leak in Florida". If I would have contacted him first instead of his office mgr, the problem would have been solved. He also feels that because I am not there it is hard for him to find the leaks. He also feels that his company very reliable and upstanding since he is an owner in the villages. He said was the worst thing I could have done was post on this site and that my post was all fraud. He wanted a public apology for posting on TOTV ....Which will make him "feel better in fixing my lanai"..since 800 people know about the problem with my lanai.
So Here goes..I apologize for posting my dissatisfaction with his work without contacting hime directly first.
Laura
Will keep everyone posted on the progress of this situation......
Laura
Old 08-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Default customer is always right

Very interesting, customer request for forgiveness for product and arrangement. In business situations ,when a mistake is made, there are two important things to remember. First, the company is responsibility for the situation including primary line of customer contact. And second, the company is responsible to minimize and/or repair any damage done. I find an apology to be the best way of taking responsibility (customer for what they assumed) and moving on, but it is feasible to take responsibility without an apology. You will have to evaluate the particulars of the situation to decide what is the best possible course based upon the company with whom you are dealing and the prevalent ethnicity. Apology to a company from a customer leaves no room for nothing less then unconditional client satisfication.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Default Windows

If you use glass windows to enclose your Lanai, you have now created additional living space.Therefore, if you had a 200 S.F. Lanai, you would have been paying property taxes on that footage as a covered open porch. Once you've installed the glass windows, you've created additional living space & so it will be taxed as such.I don't know what that total is, but someone at your tax office should be able to tell you the difference per square foot. I'm almost certain that the difference in taxes is not going to be a major consideration in making your choice.

GM
Old 08-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think the owner of "Avanced Construction" Needs to talk to his Office Manager. If a client talks to the Office Manager, that should have been sufficient and resulted in at least a telephone call back to the client from someone that could address the problem. I dont believe you (the client) owe anyone an apology, the Owner needs to get his office priorities in order. HEY THINGS HAPPEN IN CONSTRUCTION and im sure this is not the first call the office manager ever received reagrding an issue such as this. Bad communication between the office manager and the owner is the key lesson to be learned here.

However that all said Im glad Advanced Construction has agreed to settle any problems to your satisfaction.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.