Fee Based Financial Advisor

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2020, 12:20 PM
Sage

If you really want a person to talk to, Vanguard will provide a financial advisor for 0.3%. This is pretty much in line with the cost of robo advisors. They will put you in Vanguard products but that is actually a good thing since their fees are pretty low. I don’t use their financial advisors but I have spoken to a few and they had a reasonable approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prntxpresn View Post
Paul (paul.d.zirakian@raymondjames.com) - Raymond James in Brownwood. Creates portfolio based on what you tell him at only 1%. & also recommends. Friendly, caring & good looking.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:39 PM

Charles Schwab is an excellent place to start. They have an office in Sumter Landing.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:56 PM
Sage

Thanks for all the input. But I need to clarify a bit...

I manage our nest egg myself and have no plans to change that. I’m looking for some help with questions regarding other types of financial possibilities, not funds investing. An example is the possible purchase of a second home vs renting.

(Before you start replying with specifics related to that, it’s very much an over-simplification with many other factors involved. Thus the desire for a financial advisor.)

I could use advice in other topics also...but not related directly to funds investing.

Thanks again. Keep the good info coming.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:05 PM

Try aaa. No fees involved.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,909 Times in 917 Posts

Are you looking for an excel model which you can plug in different options to make a decision?
As a corporate financial professional I can help you built something like that, since that's what I have done for the last 30 years.

sportsguy
Old 03-08-2020, 09:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post

I could use advice in other topics also...but not related directly to funds investing.

Thanks again. Keep the good info coming.
It looks like you are looking for some fairly wide ranging financial advice.

The previous suggestion of looking into Schwab was a good one. The advisors there are on salary not commission. Some are very knowledgeable, but there is a variance, so you would have to spend some time to pick one you would want to work with. However I don't think they act as fiduciaries, which means they are not focused on what is best for you but only what is legally appropriate for you. Their advice is free. You need an account but I don't think the size matters at all.

For typical questions about securities I think Schwab is a good resource though I think there is some variability in Schwab's advisors. In the past I've gotten good information from them. But I don't think they would be useful for a rent or buy a house kind of question.

A CPA is another possibility, but not in general. Some, but not all, have a lot of experience with a wide range of financial issues. If I had a rent or buy question, or any personal finance Issue , my CPA is one of first people I would go to. I would go to him for general securities info too. But not for stock recommendations of course, but for things about how a particular kind of investment works. But, based on my limited experience with CPA's it is hard to find one who is responsive and has wide general knowledge.

So, just like getting an advisor at Schwab, you will have to do some looking around to find a CPA that will work for you.

Lastly, and I know that this isn't what you are looking for just and an example of an information source, a traditional, fiduciary financial advisor who manages your portfolio can, but again not always, be a great source of financial information. My financial advisor would be the other person I would go to if I had a buy versus rent question. I've also been able to get information of stocks or bonds at any depth I wanted... not just the numbers but analysis and insight into what the numbers mean in my particular financial situation.

I use both my CPA and my FA to understand tax and other personal financial issues. They both have been great and responsive sources of information and advice.

It took a long time to find a CPA and FA I had confidence in and who I felt knew a lot more about their topics the I did. Most just run off a recipe and don't have a fundamental understanding of things. The CPA I found by luck. Schwab was a big help in finding the FA (not a Schwab advisor) I have.

Also a number of online, free financial info sources have been mentions. They can also be great places to get info but they depend on your insight and experience and time to separate the wheat from the chaff.

But underlying all this stuff is cost. I don't think you can get the wide ranging, in depth, quality, responsive, fee only kind of info you seem to be looking for, for $100 a month. For $1000 a month, maybe. That's just my opinion based on my limited experience with my own finances.
Closed Thread

Tags
financial, fee, sell, advice, related

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.