Fitness Centers

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Default Fitness Centers

My husband and I will be relocating to TV in the near future and will want to join a fitness center. Can anyone recommend a good facility that is reasonable in cost. Also, I believe there are 4 fitness centers in the recreation facilities in TV. Can someone please tell me the cost? It also sounds, from reading on this forum that these (in TV) are very crowded. Is this true? Thanks.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:17 AM

I belong to the four fitness centers in The Villages. I have not compared them to other fitness centers outside of The Villages because I like having a fitness center close by and I like the fact that they are golf cart accessible. I have been told that the four are all connected and I could go to any of them. I usually go to the one in Seabreeze (even though Colony Cottage is more convenient for me) because it is a larger facility.

I just renewed my membership. The price for an individual for one year is $363.49 plus $25.44 tax for a total of $388.93. They have many other payment plans available (quarterly, monthly, daily) but this works out the cheapest for me.

Like any fitness facility, crowd levels vary depending on the month, day, time of day and how nice a day it is. Things are busier during the winter months. I imagine the facility gets very crowded in the mornings. In the mornings I understand there are often sign up sheets for popular machines and 20 minute time limits on cardio machines (e.g. treadmills). I don't go there in the morning so I really don't know.

Since I'm retired, I have the luxury of going there in the afternoon or evening. I have never encountered sign up sheets for any machines nor have I encountered time limits on any machines when I go. The crowd in the afternoon/evening varies from moderately crowded (e.g. machines you want to use are in use but its easy to work around them and just vary your routine) to only a few people in the facility. There have even been some occasions when I had the facility to myself.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:33 AM
Veteran member

I used to belong to the fitness centers and dropped out because of the crowding and time limits on the machines during the winter months. I can't get a good aerobic workout in 15 or 20 minutes, and going late in the day doesn't fit my schedule. We bought a weight machine and free weights for our house, and utilize the other outdoor activities such as running, biking, dancing, swimming, etc. for aerobics. There are also privately owned fitness centers cropping up on the outskirts of The Villages that I've heard good things about. You might want to check them out.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:01 AM
Default Couple price?

My wife and I were discussing this just yesterday as we are trying to anticipate our budget in retirement (4-5 years away). Does anyone know the price for 2?

Also has anyone done a comparison of how much you typically spending prior to retiring? I realize it will be a very individual response but maybe several answers will give me a decent average.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:04 AM
Veteran member

http://www.mvpsportsclubs.com/florid...athletic-club/

MVP Club in Spanish Springs is great!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:44 AM
Default Cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by salpal View Post

Would you mind sharing the cost for a couple? Thanks for the link.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salpal View Post

Can anyone tell me how crowded this fitness center is (MVP) and if they experience time limits on the cardio machines? The cost for a couple? There is the Omni Fitness center on 466A. Does anyone know anything about that center?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Gold member

MVP is the best ! Besides all the equipement available there are also many many classes that you can take for no extra charge. Yes, in the winter it is crowded, but you learn to work around it. The group classes are excellent , the leaders are trained to do it the MVP way - it all works. The cost is just a few more dollars than the fitness centers in the Rec centers but you get so much more. Give it a look the next time you are here. Right in the middle of Spanish Springs square, after a workout you can jog down to Panera's and pretty soon Dunkin' Donuts too!!
Old 05-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
.. Yes, in the winter it is crowded, but you learn to work around it....
I would suggest that anyone contemplating joining a fitness center in The Villages, actually try them out during the high season, at the times you'd like to attend, to make sure you'll actually be able to get in, and on the machines.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Sage

I use Seabreeze all the time. It has the most up to date equipment which the other fitness centers are switching to as they upgrade. Monday mornings around 9:00 is very busy during the winter. The rest of the mornings are busy as well. Sunday is not busy at all. With all the new homes being built in that area it is only going to get worse.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,179 Times in 1,935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincap View Post
... There is the Omni Fitness center on 466A. Does anyone know anything about that center?
You must use one of their personal trainers to belong to the Omni Fitness Center. It is not like the Fitness Centers in TV.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:36 PM

We'll be in TV full time in June. I'm used to going to Golds Gym for yoga and pilates - usually in the am. I have looked into MVP in Spanish Springs (we'll be close), but I'm wondering about getting a CD for yoga and pilates and practicing at home in the early am. I've looked on line for exerciey power yoga- anyone have a good recommendation? I know I'd do better in a class with someone telling me what to do, but I want an advanced class. Suggestions?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Gold member

There are good Yoga and Pilates classes at the Rec centers for free. Check the guide that comes out every Thursday. Also MVP has several Yoga and Pilates classes plus a class called Cynergy that combines both.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYTeacher View Post
My wife and I were discussing this just yesterday as we are trying to anticipate our budget in retirement (4-5 years away). Does anyone know the price for 2?

Also has anyone done a comparison of how much you typically spending prior to retiring? I realize it will be a very individual response but maybe several answers will give me a decent average.
The cost for a couple to belong to the VCDD fitness clubs is $710.28 (plus sales tax) to belong for the year. They also have six month ($411.22 plus tax), three month ($200.00 plus tax) and one month memberships available ($85.98 plus tax) as well as daily and weekly rates. The yearly rate is the cheapest if you plan to be here year round.

The fitness clubs are located at Mulberry Grove, Laurel Manor, Colony Cottage and Seabreeze. Hours are 7am to 9pm Monday thru Friday and 7am to 5pm Saturday and Sunday.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Veteran member

I belong to the MVP fitness center, and recommend it highly; great equipment; and great classes, which are included in the membership fee. My fee is around $41 a month (hubby does not belong, but I know that it is a few dollars less for a person in the same household to belong) including tax, and your cost is frozen, ie, no fee increases, ever, as long as you maintain your membership. I like that it is full-service, in that you can work out, attend a class (and all equipment needed for the classes is provided, so you don't have to buy your own, and carry it back and forth), and shower to be able to continue with other errands or plans without having to go home first to clean up; and I like the lounge/TV area in the lobby. It has been busy the few times that I've been there in the early mornings but not to the extent that is difficult to complete a workout; but I usually prefer to go later, anyway.

We live in Largo, 2 miles south of Sumter Landing, so another reason I like going to MVP is that it makes going to Spanish Springs a regular part of our routine, and from there it is convenient to dine, or to do errands/activities in Spanish Springs or in the shopping areas near there, or to go to our favorite pools, Orange Blossom and Hacienda Hills, which are up that way. We have found a 'cut-through' route through side streets that gets us from Largo to MVP in about 10-12 minutes.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.

Last edited by Freeda; 06-02-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.