Flat Screen TVs

Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2008, 01:24 AM
Veteran member
Default Flat Screen TVs

Probably Circuit City. Samsung is highly rated by Consumer Reports and is moderately priced...less than $2,000 for a 52" LCD or 50" Plasma. Sony is also very good. Circuit City guys seem to like the Panasonics. Walmart tends to stock last years new models, but the prices are very good.

Anyone know when Best Buy opens?
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 07-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Flat Screen TVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci
Probably Circuit City. Samsung is highly rated by Consumer Reports and is moderately priced...less than $2,000 for a 52" LCD or 50" Plasma. Sony is also very good. Circuit City guys seem to like the Panasonics. Walmart tends to stock last years new models, but the prices are very good.

Anyone know when Best Buy opens?
Don't forget Sears - I know no one thinks of them when it comes to shopping for televisions, but they beat any advertised price by 10% of the difference. I bought a 52" Samsung at Sears. It was in Sears for $2499 and on the Circuit City web site for $1899. Sears sold it to me for $1840. In the Leesburg store, I was even coached by the sales rep which competing stores had sales that he could match (and beat). Don't know if they all do that, but they have an internet connection and can check websites. They don't compete with everyone (say "Abe's of Maine" as an example) but they do compete with all the merchants that have brick & mortar presence.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Veteran member

I bought my Samsung from Amazon in January. Be sure to check their prices and look for the "white glove" delivery. It's delivered and set up in your house and included in many of the prices. Great prices on the TV's and there is no state sales tax so that alone is a considerable savings.

Also, check cnet.com for ratings and reviews of all the HD sets, and anything electronic.

Figure out the model number and type it into the Amazon search block and you are on your way.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Sage

Bought a 32" Vizio from Wal-Mart for about $600 - works great for me (don't watch much TV).

On the other hand, my computer screen is a 19" Sony that cost more than the TV.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 09-01-2008, 07:58 PM

Agree about Sears. Take a copy of any price you get on the same TV at any other store and they will match less 10%. You can not beat their prices. Also, I have the Sony 50 inch and have never had a problem. My daughter has the 42 inch Sony ( from Sears ) and has been problem free also.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:09 PM

Be aware that most, even Sony, make several different quality sets in each screen size and the better sets cost much more. In Sony look for the letters XBR or in other Sony series a single letter after the size where L. is O.K. but later letters are better like V. W. and Z. Many Walmarts carry the S. series.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Gold member

Some people have had great luck with Buydig.Com.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucko
Be aware that most, even Sony, make several different quality sets in each screen size and the better sets cost much more. In Sony look for the letters XBR or in other Sony series a single letter after the size where L. is O.K. but later letters are better like V. W. and Z. Many Walmarts carry the S. series.
Keep in mind though that some of those quality enhancements are related to sound. The picture specs on some non-XBR sets are identical to the XBR series, but they lack enhanced sound. If you have a surround sound system, you can buy the Sony that has the lesser quality sound system, get the same quality picture, and save a few bucks.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Sage

We bought one at Best Buy which was a really good deal because along with the HDTV we got a Blu-Ray DVD player for free and 25 movies! You have to watch for these specials. And the other other we bought from Circuit City. Great price. :bigthumbsup:
Old 09-04-2008, 12:11 PM

I bought a 37" LCT flat screen from Office Depot in Leesburg for $599. Watch their ads.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:51 AM
Platinum member
Thumbs down Samsung Television Problem

Our 40" LCD Samsung television won't turn on until it automatically, you can hear it recyle 3-5 times, before a picture develops. I Googled the problem and OMG - this is a major issue with this brand and a costly repair IF it can be fixed. Allegedly there's the same problem on many sizes of this brand. Although the picture is perfect once it appears, the day that this tv quits is probably around the corner. Television is 2 years old.

Buyer Beware

Last edited by F16 1UB; 08-26-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Veteran member

Samsung has a really great set out now. LED-LCD. I think LG has a version of the LED also. The picture cant be beat. Was in Best Buy checking them out. Unreal. I have a 52" SOny LCD. wish I could trade mine for this new one now. The contrast ration is high. Watched it side by side with the sony I bought from Best Buy. Puts it to shame.
IMHO would buy from Best Buy.

Money out
Old 08-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I BOUGHT MINE FROM TIGER DIRECT.COM FABULOUS PRICE AND THE SCREEN IS HUGE ....I TRIED TO MEASURE IT ONCE AND GOING FROM ONE CORNER TO THE OTHER I PASSED A HOWARD JOHNSON'S ON THE WAY...........I THINK ITS THE SAME ONE THAT THEY USED FOR THE FRENCH VILLAGE AT EPCOT..

Actually its a Sony 46 LCD from Sam's in Ocala and its terrific........Make sure you get the MDHI CORD with it ,,,,

stiff neck fumar ..
Old 08-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Location: Fortuna, CA, Antioch, CA Pleasanton, CA, the Village of St. Charles.
Default Samsung

We just bought a 46" Samsung LED flat panel. I mean FLAT, as in 1.3" wide TV. We looked at lots of other one's and settled on this one because of the great pictures and some outstanding features.
Uses 40% less power than an LCD and even less for a Plasma. Has no lead, mercury and a laundry list of things you dont want around or in a land fill for 50 years. Has good sound and 120 Hz refresh rate. The last means the picture does not tear or jitter when you watch sports. Can't wait for hockey season this year!
We got it at Best Buy and recieved a decient price. They also offer a price matching bonus if you find it cheaper in 30 days, from anyone, which we did, and they gave us hundreds of dollars back after the sale.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:41 AM
Platinum member
Default Again Samsung Buyer Beware

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_...amsung_tv.html
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.