golf cart insurance

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2010, 06:57 PM
Platinum member
Default golf cart insurance

I sent a post a half hour ago and it never posted. Must be lost in cyber-space.
My question is- I will be in Buttonwood next week and intend to piurchase a golf cart. Leaning toward new unless someone knows of a great deal on a recent model used one. Do I need insurance? Or is it not necessary?

After reading post from other TOTV posters it looks like it might be less expensive to purchase a new cart outside the Villages. I did send a few emails to The Village Golf Cart store but they didn't have the decency to return my emails. A red flag. Being a business owner for 38 years, every customer is important.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Gold member

We bought from Villages golf cart store. Sorry about your problems with them. So far we are happy with them. Yes I would advise golf cart insurance it's not that much unless you have a street legal vehicle. There are other threads on here about used and new carts and who's dealt with which companies. Good Luck.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 10-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Sage

Separate Golf Cart insurance is recommended. AAA in La Plaza Grande sold us a policy from Progressive for about $70/yr.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 10-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Default Villages Golf Cart Shop

We just purchased a gas cart from them and am extremely pleased with the service. You may want to contact them back. The person we had originally worked with is not working there anymore.

Would definitely get insurance. It's our second cart and it was $75.00 for a year.

From Liberty, MO
Old 10-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Platinum member

Tom,

We purchased a 2010 EZ-Go RXV electric cart from Town & Country in SS Shopping Cntr in March, and we're very happy with the cart. We then went to Villages Ins. in Lake Sumter for insurance. I was leaning towards Progressive but they sold us a policy from Foremost Ins. Annual cost $127. The cost of golf cart ins is based on the original cost of the golf cart (excluding sales tax). There was little price diff between insurance from Progressive vs Foremost.

George
Old 10-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Gold member

I only have property and injury liability and comprehensive (fire and theft) on our used golf cart - it's about $75/year with Allstate. Leaning toward just getting that also for our new cart, which will be a 2nd cart. My thinking is that I wouldn't claim little scratches/dents anyway and if it were in a big collision I probably wouldn't be around to care. And if I were, could handle the replacement/repair cost of a golf cart as it's net worth is a lot less than most cars.

Not sure yet if there is a discount for a 2nd cart.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Veteran member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryoung View Post
Tom,

We purchased a 2010 EZ-Go RXV electric cart from Town & Country in SS Shopping Cntr in March, and we're very happy with the cart. We then went to Villages Ins. in Lake Sumter for insurance. I was leaning towards Progressive but they sold us a policy from Foremost Ins. Annual cost $127. The cost of golf cart ins is based on the original cost of the golf cart (excluding sales tax). There was little price diff between insurance from Progressive vs Foremost.

George
I agree with George. Formost Ins. works , around $100. Town and Country is the place to go for electric carts. They let you bring it back every month or so to check the batteries and tire pressure, no charge, and sometimes they plug in the computer and see if there are any issues or upgrades available. Great people to deal with and they are golf cart accessible. I have had my cart for over a year and no problems have arisen.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.