Golf cart maintenance

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2023, 01:04 PM
Default Golf cart maintenance

I just learned that it’s prudent to change the lubricant in your golf cart differential. For newer carts you should have it changed every 3 years or 3,000 miles. For the older carts where the brakes are in the differential one should change the lubricant every two years. I was surprised to see how dirty the lub was. He said most Service people get lazy and don’t want to do it. He used 80-90 weight gear lub. Good preventative maintenance. I had not heard about this and none of my neighbors had ever heard about doing this. He also put a Mopar additive in with the lub. Cost was $80.00.
Old 04-04-2023, 01:11 PM

Who did this service for you?
Old 04-04-2023, 01:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

This is easy to do - takes about 15 mins - there are fill and drain bolts. For the older Yamahas with the internal wet brake, you need 1.8 quarts. You can buy the Yamaha gear oil with friction modifiers online or at the Villages Golf Cart stores. I believe I paid about $13 per quart at the Villages Golf Cart store. It may be a bit lower cost online. Alternatively, use 80W-90 gear oil and add 3 ounces of a limited-slip friction modifier additive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianotunerman View Post
I just learned that it’s prudent to change the lubricant in your golf cart differential. For newer carts you should have it changed every 3 years or 3,000 miles. For the older carts where the brakes are in the differential one should change the lubricant every two years. I was surprised to see how dirty the lub was. He said most Service people get lazy and don’t want to do it. He used 80-90 weight gear lub. Good preventative maintenance. I had not heard about this and none of my neighbors had ever heard about doing this. He also put a Mopar additive in with the lub. Cost was $80.00.

Last edited by tuccillo; 04-05-2023 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-04-2023, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianotunerman View Post
EZ-GO RXV Electric has a 5 year recommended interval for differential oil change. I’ve used Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 oil. There are helpful videos for DIY on YouTube.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,221 Times in 772 Posts

When was the last time you changed the differential oil in your car ? Just asking...
Closed Thread

Tags
lub, golf, carts, years, cart

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.