Goodman 2.5 Ton 14 Seer Repair or replace?

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2021, 06:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcmax View Post
So far I have had two contractors visit. Both recommended replacing outdoor compressor (yes it is leaking with oil stain drip) and one recommended heat pump to replace gas furnace. Does anyone have experience with heat pump or duel system (heat pump + gas furnace)?
It sounds like the problem may be with the compressor leaking oil, and not a refrigerant system leak at all? If so, the compressor motor can be replaced without even replacing the entire outside unit, which is called a condenser unit. The compressor is an expensive item, but it may be worth replacing on a 5 year old system. Although, if you replace the compressor, you may have a warranty issue because, if the compressor fails, the contractor could blame the failure on another part of the existing system.

If you are going to replace the entire system, I would go with a heat pump. They are all electric and they function very well in Florida.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
There all designed to fail it's engineering fact
When you were a kid growing up remember the ugly fridge
our parents and grand parents had in garage or basement
you couldn't kill em They rusted to death
Agree, had Janitorial few (several) years ago ( made by Goodman), had 10 year warranty on compressor. Failed 10 years and two months. Usually you can hear difference in compressor when it getting ready to puke 🤢. So if you unit close to end of it warranty and it making unusual noises get it look at before warranty runs out.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It sounds like the problem may be with the compressor leaking oil, and not a refrigerant system leak at all? If so, the compressor motor can be replaced without even replacing the entire outside unit, which is called a condenser unit. The compressor is an expensive item, but it may be worth replacing on a 5 year old system. Although, if you replace the compressor, you may have a warranty issue because, if the compressor fails, the contractor could blame the failure on another part of the existing system.

If you are going to replace the entire system, I would go with a heat pump. They are all electric and they function very well in Florida.

I bet Compressor about 80% replacement of the whole unit, unless he can replace it, (which 99.9% don’t have the knowledge or tools to do it, why they got you over barrel) if it hasn’t catastrophic failed yet wouldn’t effect inside unit.

I bet the heat pump unit close to 10K and there no guarantee it will last any longer?

I guessing there at least 60% profit margin on complete unit replacement. Only licensed installer’s can buy unit wholesale. Buy one from Home Depot got 25% or more markup which beats 50% or more markup from company installers.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:51 AM

Tech should be able to patch a leak and refill refrig. 5 years is too new to junk
Old 06-13-2021, 10:23 AM

I agree with "Retiredguy123".
I believe Freon is a gas, and won't leave a stain. Something don't sound right. A Freon leak can be found....I think they call it a "sniffer" tool.....and it beeps when it detects a leak. They can tell, by the tech's gauges how badly it's leaking.
I'd get another opinion as to what the issue really is. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If you said it was 15 years old I would say replace. I would keep at 5 years but not knowing what I am doing I would call one or two more service co's to look at the unit. Where is the leak? Tubing breaking down or a lose connection that can be easily fixed? Go back and ask where the leaks are. If possible why do they think the leaks started.
Old 06-13-2021, 03:32 PM
Default Update regarding my Goodman 2.5 Seer 14

I greatly appreciate all replies and recommendations! Especially the detailed advice from the most recent reply & repeat individuals.

A friend advised me by phone to 'do it right' by asking the contractors to do a 'Manual J' & Manual D' test. Also, he said to ask them to use their 'Flir' device to determine wall insulation. On Saturday, the contractor from AND Services claimed he did all 3 tests and will send me the results by email attachment (sent the wrong address quotes for some one in Ocala). He recommended a Bryant heat pump (3 ton).

The same contractor went up into my attic and recommended redoing the ductwork.

What was most surprising: he showed me that the silver tape above the furnace was sweating bullets and that the tape behind the furnace wasn't complete adhering. He also pointed out that the exhaust flue was not securely attached with screws and lifted off easily by hand.

He also claimed that the copper refrigerant pipes were smaller diameter than they should be (pointed out by showing me the furnace ports were larger than the connecting lineset).

On Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, I will be visited by Farrell, Kalos, and Lowes. I hope to get their perspective regarding the condition of the 5 year old Goodman furnace and outdoor compressor.

I will provide an update on my layman's journey in the land of HVAC!

Thanks again for all your input. I will hopefully learn and make a good decision going forward.
Closed Thread

Tags
replace, goodman, repair, ton, furnace

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.