directv scam?

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2019, 10:32 AM
Default directv scam?

I ordered the NFL package. directv charged my account $48.99 as advertised.....they also increased my Florida state communication tax to $40.63, up $27.39 from the previous bill ......
after fooling around with non English speaking people, and being told that the tax was mandated by the state of Florida I was able to negotiate a lower price on other packages...this is absolutely wrong, never mandated by the state of Florida..
anyone else who has done this, should call and complain....
Old 09-10-2019, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

The Florida communications tax rate for satellite services should be 11.44 percent.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

They raised the package for DirecTV for friends of ours several days ago by $80 a month and will not negotiate with them. I know they changed from Dish about a year ago because the same thing happened.

They are out buying one Roku today. Streaming, no fuss, no equipment rentals, any company upsets you just finish out the month and onto the next one.

Mike234, I don't have the Football extra package but know I have more TV than we could ever use for $53 a month, YouTube TV, Just a beautiful thing.

Direct was great until AT&T got a hold of them. Good Luck.

We get Netflix on our son's account and that operation is unbelievable. Too many options to be upset. Wrap it up and move on, document everything because I trust these kinds of companies about as far as I can run.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
I ordered the NFL package. directv charged my account $48.99 as advertised.....they also increased my Florida state communication tax to $40.63, up $27.39 from the previous bill ......
after fooling around with non English speaking people, and being told that the tax was mandated by the state of Florida I was able to negotiate a lower price on other packages...this is absolutely wrong, never mandated by the state of Florida..
anyone else who has done this, should call and complain....
I was told, by Direct TV, that I'm paying 6 monthly installment amounts toward the total cost of my NFL package and that the $27.39 increase from the previous bill is the TOTAL, one time, upfront state tax amount on the total price of my NFL package. The tax amount isn't billed in installments.
Makes sense to me, the tax amount therefore is 9.4% of the total cost of my package
Old 09-10-2019, 08:01 PM

I would never touch DirectTV. Just reading their $19,95/mth sales pitch they mail to me every other day cracks me up. Yeah, it's $19.95 - oh, you want to actually watch tv, well, there are a couple other charges for that... then the bill for $100 shows up.

I don't do business with people/companies that start the relationship with misleading advertising.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

🖕🏿Direct tv..
Old 09-11-2019, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
They raised the package for DirecTV for friends of ours several days ago by $80 a month and will not negotiate with them. I know they changed from Dish about a year ago because the same thing happened.

They are out buying one Roku today. Streaming, no fuss, no equipment rentals, any company upsets you just finish out the month and onto the next one.

Mike234, I don't have the Football extra package but know I have more TV than we could ever use for $53 a month, YouTube TV, Just a beautiful thing.

Direct was great until AT&T got a hold of them. Good Luck.

We get Netflix on our son's account and that operation is unbelievable. Too many options to be upset. Wrap it up and move on, document everything because I trust these kinds of companies about as far as I can run.
I just got rid of DirecTVnow. After I posted about how great they were...... they raised the price and lowered the number of channels. Also changed their name to ATTNow or something. DUMPED them. Now have YouTubeTV. Thanks. With Prime and Netflix ....... more than you need.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:27 AM

I called to cancel my Direct tv, ended up with a $25.00 discount for the next year and free NFL Sunday ticket. Without a contract, Life is good when you negotiate.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Azz View Post
I called to cancel my Direct tv, ended up with a $25.00 discount for the next year and free NFL Sunday ticket. Without a contract, Life is good when you negotiate.
I love to hear stuff like this. Good for you. I always start out at the "Cancel My Account Department" for any supplier. DirecTV was great for around 15 years then they went down the drain with AT&T. That's my experience anyway! Glad you did so well.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I've been with Directv since 2008, it started when a weekend with a lot of big games was on and Comcast went out for 3 days with no explanation. I called Directv and had it put in the first chance they had.

It's not the cheapest service, if you looking for money saving ideas, don't call Directv. I could go to the Market of Marion like my neighbor has done and get the modified Amazon Fire Stick and he gets over 6,000 channels for $15 a month. Every NFL or MLB game, he's got it all. That 's not legal, the best selection that is legal is Directv. I'm retired, I enjoy television, I enjoy sports, why deprive yourself of a enjoyment to save a few dollars. I've looked at my neighbors television and with all those channels, he can't record. Unless it's the news or sports, most of the stuff I watch I have recorded, and Directv has a great DVR.

I've gotten NFL Sunday Ticket every year since 2011. In 2017 and 2018 Directv gave me the ticket for free, absolutely no charge because I've been a loyal customer. This year, I'm paying $27 a month for 6 months. To me, that's money well spent and I enjoy every second. When you were watching the Giants/Cowboys game on Fox 35 I was watching Kyler Murray comeback at Arizona and Detroit and I was watching Seattle pull out a one point victory over the Bengals. If you're an NFL fan, you can't be without this service.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:21 AM

We had DirectTV for 20 years- my husabnd liked the NFL ticket because he wanted to watch his Patriots and we lived all over the country (GA, Colo,HI). Moved here 2 years ago and transferred service so new two year contract. Negotiated last year for a cheaper price ($60 off) but then in August it went back to new price- $170. Got fed up. Decided to cut the cord. Spent 40 minutes getting thru to live person with ATT to cancel account.(only way to cancel is talking to live person, you cannot do it online). Shipped equpment back. ATT/DirectTV acknowledged our return of equipment on Sep 9. On Sep 11 we were notified via email that our auto billing for Sep (via credit card) would happen on Sep 27! Spent another 2 hours on chat feature and phone getting it straightened out that our account is closed and have fully paid any outstanding balance. What a nightmare. Their customer service is horrendous.

We now have Playstation vue and are very happy. CUrrently have some Boston Sports station so my husband is thrilled. Not sure we will continue to get that station because I understand the stations change with PSV. But very happy with it so far and a lot cheaper. And we can still DVR stuff although it seems like I cannot DVR just one game- it DVRS every NFL game when I try to DVR just one! Still figuring that one out. SUggestions welcome.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, state, directv, mandated, tax

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.