Great things in 2024! Starting with great discounts 🏷️

Old 01-04-2024, 03:55 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Lightbulb Great things in 2024! Starting with great discounts 🏷️

Happy New Year from Pike's Electric!
We are so grateful to be your local trusted electrician! 2023 was our 1st year on Talk of The Villages (started around May) and this has been such a great line of communication for us, to you, as our valued customers. We plan to keep this going throughout 2024 and continue offering you special discounts as Talk of The Villages members, and top of the line quality products and installations.

Lots of things are coming and changing. Let me give you a glance into 2024:

NEC 2020 Code Cycle: Counties that we service, Sumter, Lake, Marion, Citrus are adopting the 2020 NEC code starting 1/1/24. This requires quite a few different things for new construction builds, but also some things for us in the service department for upgrading panels, installing new lines, etc. We have met with our suppliers, manufacturers of the products we install for you, to ensure we are as prepared as possible for these changes. If you are buying a new construction build in The Villages, OR if you are planning to remodel your home or upgrade your electrical panel, rest assured, Pike's Electric is operating to the full requirements for the NEC code at all times. If you use another electrician, we encourage you to inquire with them about these changes and how they may effect you and your home. The Building Department of your county, can also be a great resource of information.
Latest and Greatest LED Products: We utilize LED integrated recessed cans for the interior and exterior soffit of your home. We also use American Lighting LED tape lighting products for above and below your cabinetry, glass cabinet doors, tray ceilings, etc. These product lines are changing, releasing new products that are more efficient, and offer a wide range of new options. We are excited to show them to you, and we are currently working with those brands and companies to get samples that we can bring to your home for our FREE estimate consultations.

We want to show you how amazing our team is! If you are interested in any electrical projects for your home moving in to the new year 2024 and you are reading this -
Call our office and mention "PIKES2024" for 10% OFF for the month of January ONLY!
You must mention this post/promo code when you are initially calling in and this discount cannot be combined with other discounts or applied to permitted scopes of work.

Happy New Year! We hope to be your electrician in 2024 for any projects or needs you have
From: Casandra with Pike's Electric and the entire Pike's Electric Family

(352)748-6251
Old 01-04-2024, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Very satisfied with the work of Pikes adding power for my Lani and hot tub.

They sent two electricians to the jobs which helps make things get done faster and safer.
Old 01-05-2024, 06:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

hey Cassandra:

With this change/update as part of FL 's adoption:

Emergency Disconnects
Required for all single- and two-family dwellings
Must function from outside dwellings
Must be readily accessible
Applies to generators and energy storage systems (ESS)
Generators must be marked with one of the following:
EMERGENCY DISCONNECT, SERVICE DISCONNECT
EMERGENCY DISCONNECT, METER DISCONNECT, NOT SERVICE EQUIPMENT
EMERGENCY DISCONNECT, NOT SERVICE EQUIPMENT

So does this adoption from the 2020 code mean that a thief wanting to hit a house with remote internet monitoring, can just disconnect the power from the outside and then break in with a disabled security system?

thanks!
Old 01-08-2024, 06:37 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
hey Cassandra:

Emergency Disconnects

So does this adoption from the 2020 code mean that a thief wanting to hit a house with remote internet monitoring, can just disconnect the power from the outside and then break in with a disabled security system?

thanks!
Hi there, very interesting question and concept. I did forward this on to my head management to see what their suggestions or thoughts are to best answer this concern. I will definitely post once I have the information! - Casandra

(352)748-6251
Old 01-08-2024, 06:37 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Very satisfied with the work of Pikes adding power for my Lani and hot tub.

They sent two electricians to the jobs which helps make things get done faster and safer.
We greatly appreciate your business Happy New Year!

(352)748-6251
Old 01-10-2024, 01:46 PM
Sage
Default Security Systems

Quote:
hey Cassandra:

Emergency Disconnects

thanks!

From Cassandra, thanks for the update!

The short answer is:

"yes, a thief can pull the emergency disconnect to disable any systems connected to house power and not connected to a UPS / battery backup."

So as the emergency disconnects are implemented, be sure to add UPS, battery backup power supplies to all security equipment!

AND keep the UPS out of view and beyond reach, such as on top of the cabinets or in a very high shelf where thieves would not be able to quickly find and disconnect.
Old 01-10-2024, 02:48 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
From Cassandra, thanks for the update!

The short answer is:

"yes, a thief can pull the emergency disconnect to disable any systems connected to house power and not connected to a UPS / battery backup."

So as the emergency disconnects are implemented, be sure to add UPS, battery backup power supplies to all security equipment!

AND keep the UPS out of view and beyond reach, such as on top of the cabinets or in a very high shelf where thieves would not be able to quickly find and disconnect.
Hi CoachkandSportsGuy, I am sorry but I would like to correct your statement. I did not say "yes a thief can pull the emergency disconnect" however I do agree that keeping the UPS out of view and reach is a great suggestion. I wanted to also share this on this public post for all to be informed that this is suggested for the new build homes after 1/1/24 that will require exterior main disconnects. If any Village resident has any concerns, you are welcome to address those to the county building department and also the electrician whom is responsible for wiring your new home. Homes built/in process of being built before 1/1/24 are not required to have this change, unless the service is upgraded/modified/or changed for any reason. Thank you!

"Default Re: Cassandra, can you answer this question
Good morning,
I wanted to go ahead and send you the information in regards to the exterior disconnect requirements for NEC 2020 code and security systems that you asked on the forum. Per our management: In fact yes, those disconnects will be required and also have a plaque that will be labeled EMERGENCY DISCONNECT or something along that verbatim. "If the security system that he has shuts off when there’s no power to the home then our suggestion would be for him to get a system that has a battery back up." This way, if the home loses power, the battery backup will immediately kick in on the system. Same for internet as well, as I know most security systems are tied into a wifi for signal, in case you are away from your home to get footage/alerts. Please let us know if you have further questions, Thank you! - Casandra with Pike's Electric (352)748-6251"

(352)748-6251

Last edited by pikeselectric; 01-10-2024 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-10-2024, 05:15 PM
Sage

Thanks!

Any other significant changes in FL(surge protection?)?
Old 01-10-2024, 08:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeselectric View Post
[FONT="Century Gothic"]I did not say "yes a thief can pull the emergency disconnect"
Although your statement is factual, the point of question is that there isn't anything preventing anyone from pulling the emergency disconnect, and if an anyone had malicious intent, that would be an easy starting point to reduce any alarms and monitoring services.

The subtle point is that there are good intentions for certain codes, but not everyone follows the good intentions. The good here doesn't outweigh the downside by much, to which your response is that you are only complying with the code, to which my response is that i still have to protect my property and do so requires more expense and maintenance.

thanks for the update.

Last edited by CoachKandSportsguy; 01-11-2024 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-10-2024, 09:34 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=CoachKandSportsguy;2289915]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeselectric View Post
[FONT="Century Gothic"]I did not say "yes a thief can pull the emergency disconnect" /QUOTE]

Although your statement is factual, the point of question is that there isn't anything preventing anyone from pulling the emergency disconnect, and if an anyone had malicious intent, that would be an easy starting point to reduce any alarms and monitoring services.

The subtle point is that there are good intentions for certain codes, but not everyone follows the good intentions. The good here doesn't outweigh the downside by much, to which your response is that you are only complying with the code, to which my response is that i still have to protect my property and do so requires more expense and maintenance.

thanks for the update.
In other areas, the disconnect can be padlocked. Firefighters carry various tools that can quickly remove a padlock.

Unsure if permissible here.
Old 01-11-2024, 08:34 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=Altavia;2289926]
Quote:

In other areas, the disconnect can be padlocked. Firefighters carry various tools that can quickly remove a padlock.

Unsure if permissible here.
and thieves can't carry same equipment?
Old 01-11-2024, 06:18 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=CoachKandSportsguy;2290040]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post

and thieves can't carry same equipment?

Today a thieve can just pull the meter out...

The external disconnect makes it safe and fast for first responders to shut power off before flooding a fire.

In some areas, first responders have to wait for the power company come and pull the meter.

Tags
home, products, code, great, pikes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.