Hello and Coax Wiring Issue

Closed Thread
Old 07-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Default Hello and Coax Wiring Issue

Hi! I am a new Villager! (Village of Charlotte) Been here about 6 weeks and just starting to get out from under the mountain of boxes! Had visited here for a week at a time for 3 years, but am now here for good! I've been lurking on this board for about 5 years and know the great knowlege that is contained here, and need some advise...

I have Direct TV for my main TV service. I have Comcast for Internet and the most limited TV package. Sunday, after the big rainstorm, suddenly my cable / internet was down. Went through the troubleshooting with Comcast and they said that they were not seeing my devices or were very intermitently. Have a service call scheduled for Wednesday morning...

However.... Now my Direct TV is having the same problem! I am getting the 775 - problem communicating with your dish message. It keeps winking in and out. Now I have to assume that there are two separate coaxes from Comcast and Direct TV. Looks to me that they are both wired into the junction box. Direct TV is using the internal house wiring. The Comcast guy wired a new line through the attic to the cable box. What could be going on that is affecting both services, wired into the house on separate lines! I'm soooo confused. I'm afraid the Comcast guy is going to come and say its not their problem, and given the Direct TV behavior, that may be true... Who should I be calling to fix this? Do I need an electrician?

Help!

Thanks in advance! I only have very intermittent internet through through my Ipad, so I may not be able to reply!

Steve
Old 07-10-2017, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing99 View Post
...However.... Now my Direct TV is having the same problem! I am getting the 775 - problem communicating with your dish message. It keeps winking in and out. Now I have to assume that there are two separate coaxes from Comcast and Direct TV. Looks to me that they are both wired into the junction box. Help!

Thanks in advance! I only have very intermittent internet through through my Ipad, so I may not be able to reply!

Steve
Thousands have Directv in TV, I'm one of them. Yes, yesterday during the heavy part of the storm Directv went out for awhile. Usually I go to the backup (non-HD sister channel) and the picture will return unless it's a severe storm. I didn't try that yesterday because I was watching golf and I have an alternative plan I'll explain below. Your Directv should of returned long ago, sometime yesterday. If the Directv is not back, call them and set up a service call.

I have 2 BR's and the LR all coax running to my box on the outside of the house like most homes. The LR and M/BR leave the box and go to the satellite dish on the roof. The Guest/BR coax comes out of the box and I ran it back up the wall into the attic where I have a $33 antenna I bought from Amazon and I pick up about 30 over-the-air TV channels. I figured why spend $7.99 a month for a third box plus it's my backup for days like yesterday. I actually went into the guest BR and watched some of the golf tournament on CBS while the Directv was out. Had it not been channel 6 but a cable channel, then I would of stayed with Directv and gone to the backup channel.

There is one person in TV that knows more about wiring homes and installing in home TV systems, surround sounds, etc. That's Tom from Villages AV, there 's at least 500 people on this message board that will attest to that. If you want a third party, or can't get your systems working right, call Villages AV, but he's not free, he works for a living. Here's his website.

TheVillagesAV.com
Closed Thread

Tags
direct, comcast, wired, problem, internet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.