Help with extended roof addition

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2017, 04:27 PM
Default Help with extended roof addition

We are considering extending our existing lanai roof over a birdcage addition app 8 x 20 feet. We have existing columns for support. Can anyone help with the pros of typical stick built roofing versus an aluminum type roof with shingles over top. We would possibly add windows later so insulation would be important. I have seen some aluminum type roofs with insulating panels that allow for a nice high pitch. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleygirl View Post
We are considering extending our existing lanai roof over a birdcage addition app 8 x 20 feet. We have existing columns for support. Can anyone help with the pros of typical stick built roofing versus an aluminum type roof with shingles over top. We would possibly add windows later so insulation would be important. I have seen some aluminum type roofs with insulating panels that allow for a nice high pitch. Any help would be appreciated.
Just a suggestion, check with ARC for approval on doing this type of project. Then I would contact whomever installed the original columns, and verify these are suitable for having a roof installed, and any limitations. I have no idea if the normal roofing codes apply to an extension, but the roofs on the houses have special brackets to keep the roof on the house, and additional anchors in the walls for the roof attachments. These may not exist in columns that were installed for a screened birdcage. You may also stop by the building department, and ask the questions with the building inspector, so you get the exact answer as to what would be required. i like to be safe,ot sorry, and to do the job once.
Hope this helps.

Tags
roof, type, addition, aluminum, existing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.