Home inspection company

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2018, 03:17 PM
Default Home inspection company

I will be requiring a home inspection including termite and WDO soon. Which home inspection companies should I avoided in The Villages?

Thanks,
Old 05-14-2018, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Can't tell you which to avoid, but I can recommend Frank DeAngelo, very good and through.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:21 PM

I would avoid any that are suggested by a real estate agent. (The old Buddy System exists to some degree here too!) -- My last inspection report overlooked some flaws and "nit-picked" a couple of others that were non-existent. He supplied photos of "hair-line,1 inch long, cracks " in the caulking on a couple of windows on a different color exterior wall than the house. Perhaps saved time by using a file photo? Inspector also stated they do not go on roofs, which I find surprising considering the importance of a roof. Just another case of needing to be very careful when selecting providers of any service. Next time I will call "Crimes against Seniors" to see what they have on file for house inspectors. That is a good resource and at least indicative of problematic vendors of services here. The organization is very helpful.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Here is one NOT to avoid......Frank D'Angelo, 352.250.7818, dangeloinspections

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-15-2018, 08:51 AM
Default Home inspection recommendation

Yes for Frank D'Angelo. He inspected my home last month on a Saturday morning. Sunday morning I received via e-mail with his complete inspection report photos included. At the same time he e-mailed my home inspection to the warranty department, it was a new home. Monday morning I was being contacted by vendors who the warranty department had notified to correct the issues he had found. When and if I purchase again I will use Frank.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Frank D'Angelo is a responsible, ethical person.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Gant View Post
Sorry, But I takes exception to the BUDDY SYSTEM. I want my Buyers to get the best results possible to minimize future problems. I offer a couple of choices or they can pick their own. My choices are based on the thoroughness and realistic defects in the home. All my inspectors walk the roof line and most older homes will have a few nails that have worked their way partially out. They tar these to keep them from leaking in the future. In the last couple of years Inspectors are required to be licensed. REALTORS unlike Sales Representative are bound by a code of ethics and lose their licenses and a hefty fine for violating.
I take exception to your exception. There is clearly a built in conflict of interest for a real estate agent to recommend a home inspector. A home buyer should avoid using a home inspector recommended by the agent. The results of the inspection could kill the sale, and lose a commission for the selling agent and future business for the inspector if the agent recommended the inspector. That creates a conflict of interest for both the agent and for the inspector.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:22 AM

Exactly my feelings based completely upon experience, Retired Guy. Thank you for the logic.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:40 AM

Boutwell Home Inspections, Ocala 352-351-8476 did an excellent job for me. Make sure you get the wind mitigation cert. It will save you money on your homeowner's ins. premium.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:41 PM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollback View Post
I will be requiring a home inspection including termite and WDO soon. Which home inspection companies should I avoided in The Villages?

Thanks,
Call Frank D'Angelo I have never heard of anyone who was less then satisfied with his work and professionalism . I hope this helps. Len
Old 05-15-2018, 03:20 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Thank you to the many of you who have posted recommending us. We are humbled and blessed. Home Inspecting is our passion and we now inspect close to 600 homes a year in The Villages.

Most of our inspections are warranty inspections for one year old homes.....but we DO also inspect Pre-owned homes for potential buyers and do our best to allow time in our schedule to accommodate these inspections that typically need to be done in a fairly short notice.

My son and I are both ASHI Certified Inspectors and pride ourselves on common sense building knowledge and home inspection experience. A good Home Inspector has an ethical obligation to the buyer, his client. We do not work for The Villages or any Realtor.

There are good and bad in any profession, including Home Inspectors, but as Lyle said, a good Realtor should want his client to be pleased with the home they are buying and would want to have any serious issue disclosed so everyone is pleased in the end. Because most of our business IS warranty inspections, we do not depend solely on any real estate relationship to keep food on our table. This makes it even easier to be wholly loyal to our client. We take the time to explain a home's systems and maintenance needs and answer all of our clients questions. Many of our customers are from up north...land of basements, boilers and snow loads. A Florida home is much different.

There are many good Home Inspectors and many good Realtors out there. The successful ones often are very ethical and know that long term success only comes from satisfied customers.

If our schedule cannot accommodate a persons needs, we are always happy to recommend a few other good Home Inspectors who can serve them well also.

Please excuse the long post. Respectfully, Frank D.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:59 AM

Thanks for all the response! I will be requiring a WDO, Termite Inspection as well, and want to avoid a Home Inspection company that had issues conducting this type inspection!
Old 05-19-2018, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the good tip for a Home Inspection Co. I reviewed DangeloInspections website, however I didn't find any info in regards to conducting a WDO / Termite Inspection.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2018, 09:47 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Dear Rollback,
Yes, I no longer do specific, separate WDO termite inspections. A FEW Home Inspectors do them, but most do not. It is complicated and I will not bore you with details, but suffice to say that the regulations, etc, are stacked against the Home Inspector also doing a WDO inspection. I actually used to have my WDO license, but it just was not worth keeping it.

Let me explain. Actually a WDO and a termite inspection is the same thing pretty much. WDO stands for Wood Destroying Organisms. A specific Florida state form is used and it is a separate inspection. Although some folks illegally get away with it, a official WDO inspection has to be done by a licensed WDO inspector.

Here is where it gets "murky". Some clients want or need for mortgage reasons an official WDO inspection with the WDO Form 1145. This must be done by a licensed WDO inspector. Sometimes companies will have an "on-site" person work "under" another person's license, which in my opinion is not right. Only a person who has the credentials and required , ongoing training should be doing this inspection.

Then there are many folks who do not need this WDO form 1145, who just want to continue the pre-existing, or new, termite bond. This termite bond is basically an insurance policy that says that a company, (like Massey, Dean's, etc,etc,) will if termite damage is found down the road pay for remediation and repairs. Many companies offer this type of inspection because they want you to sign up with them for treatment and the bond. There is nothing wrong with that.....but the inspection you sometimes get with that is superficial dependent on who does it, and is more geared to wanting you to sign up with that company. The odds are in their favor.

So.... would a home inspector notice and call out obvious damage? Yes, usually, and they should know the signs to look for....as long as you understand they are NOT specifically doing a official "Termite Inspection", and cannot legally do so.

I personally think that the best approach for the homeowner is to hire a good Home Inspector to inspect and explain all the major components of your home, structure, grading, roof, framing, A/C, plumbing, electrical, appliances, etc,etc,etc.....he is inspecting hundreds of items, components, etc.

They should also hire a good licensed specific WDO inspector whose only job is to look for wood destroying organisms and any damage, past or present that has been caused by them.

A good analogy may be to stay healthy, I go to a good General Practitioner, who knows a good amount about every system and part of my body and sicknesses, medicines, etc. BUT....if I am specifically worried about my heart, I am going to make an appointment with a Cardiologist.

I hope this helps! Good luck on your home search!

Respectfully,

Frank D.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:04 PM
Veteran member

Another vote for Frank D'Angelo. When I first approached him before buying a new home to have him inspect it, he told me that I would be better off waiting until I'd owned the home for just under a year, THEN have him inspect it for warranty repairs. A pre-existing home would have been a different story. He could have pocketed my money a year sooner but he was honest with me. I respect that and found his inspection to be VERY thorough. This guy is one straight shooter.
Closed Thread

Tags
inspection, home, companies, avoided, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.