How is This Man Still in Business???

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2019, 12:04 PM
Default How is This Man Still in Business???

Some years ago when we were getting ready to landscape our new home I called Mansfield.

Initially, I had to shut up and listen to an approximate half-hour dissertation of how great this man was. After that, I was finally able to get in a few words.
I proceeded to tell him the name of the few plants I definitely wanted in my yard and garden area. It was then the insults flew.
He told me that no one used that plant any longer, that I had to have palms (I didn't want any), that he didn't think he could find a particular plant or tree and if he could, it would be very expensive. These were only a few things I can remember that still leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I think back to our conversation.

The icing on the cake was when I was told that if I signed a contract for the job at that exact moment, I would get his company discount. Otherwise, nothing.
Now, the average person, of course, would want some time to think about a landscaper's estimate and what the job entails.
Mansfield gives you no time to do this. I found him arrogant and self-serving.

I have also heard that he gives his customers an incentive to write good reviews on this site, meaning that if you write something positive, he will "reward" you in some way.

Sorry, but his way is not the way I do business with anyone. As the previous poster (looks like Mansfield must have had it deleted!) mentioned, there are far too many good landscapers out there in the field who truly are a pleasure with whom to do business.
I am so happy we decided not to do business with him (it didn't take long to make that decision).
Just about everything he does looks the same anyway, in his inimitable cookie-cutter fashion.

Last edited by Midnight Cowgirl; 08-02-2019 at 12:56 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-03-2019, 07:34 AM
Gold member

Just curious, why are you posting about something that happened to you years ago?
Old 08-03-2019, 07:49 AM

About 5 years ago we contacted Mansfield for an estimate, even visited their facility to view the inventory. We had a somewhat similar encounter. The son was a very nice fellow, but the father was a piece of work. We went with someone else.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyBoy View Post
Just curious, why are you posting about something that happened to you years ago?
Old 08-03-2019, 09:35 AM
Sage

Sounds like he was a jerk from the beginning. So why did you even consider hiring him?
Old 08-03-2019, 12:13 PM

Since this gentleman is still in business today, I appreciate the OPS well stated review concerning her past experience with this specific business. Thanks Midnight Cowgirl.

We need more individuals willing to express the truth about experiences with contractors here.
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 08-03-2019, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,733 Times in 5,252 Posts

I had a very similar experience as the OP had with this company. I can't comment on his work, because, after one phone conversation, I knew that I never ever wanted to do any business with the company.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:05 PM
Question How This Comment Became a Thread is a Mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyBoy View Post

Actually, my comment was in response to someone else's current post who had an issue with Mansfield. I really don't know how it became a separate thread.

The other person's comment was removed. I'm assuming it was removed by Mansfield himself because it was posted where there were accolades praising him, on Mansfield's site.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Sounds like he was a jerk from the beginning. So why did you even consider hiring him?

At that time I spoke to a few different people regarding landscaping. Until I actually spoke with him I had no idea about anything.
It didn't take me long to know that he was definitely crossed off my list of possibilities.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

We need honest reviews. I can’t remember who but some landscaper boasted about the number of palms they put in a few years ago on a property and they posted the address to look at. When I checked it out there was not one single palm on that property!
Old 08-03-2019, 02:10 PM

I called Mansfield on this house 2 years ago - and thought he was full of himself so hired Lori King. Would not recommend her.
Bought another house so again called Mansfield - no change. Egotisical maniac. Went to the "farm" last week and met the guy.
In person he is a bigger egotisical maniac. I then went to Yard Stop in Leesburg cause a wholesaler suggested. Very nice.
Don't know if I will give them the job but so far they are #1 on my list.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

You’re killing me! I can just visualize this guy, Mansfield. LOL
Old 08-03-2019, 03:14 PM

We had the same experience, basically bragged himself up and insulted our landscape ideas.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:32 PM
Sage

My comment is...oh wait...it’s the title of the thread.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I had a very similar experience as the OP had with this company. I can't comment on his work, because, after one phone conversation, I knew that I never ever wanted to do any business with the company.

Ditto.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.