Internet service

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2018, 11:03 PM
Default Internet service

Please advise

Who should I use for Internet Service & TV service ?

In Fenney

Thank you in advance forsharing
recommendations - good and bad.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

I know some will disagree, but I think Comcast offers the best overall service in The Villages. And, for their customers only, they also offer a discount cell phone service that uses the Verizon network.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:37 AM
Sage

Where you live, probably Spectrum. I would normally say CenturyLink but they are sunsetting their IPTV offering (Prism) and directing new customers to DirectTV for TV service. For Internet only, where you live, CenturyLink would be the choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilorilori View Post
Please advise

Who should I use for Internet Service & TV service ?

In Fenney

Thank you in advance forsharing
recommendations - good and bad.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:57 PM
Gold member

Hint on Comcast Internet only: I have had a yearly contract with Comcast for 4 years. Year one $19.95/mo / year two and three $29.95/mo. My contract 7/26/17-7/26/18 was set to expire so today called again and it will be $29.95/mo to 7/26/19. Price is $5 higher if you don’t use auto pay. For an unknown reason it needs to be after the 22nd of the month when you call to renew and get the best price. When I called a week ago the best I could do was $49.95/mo so I waited, called today, and whala. Mbps is 60. I use Voipo for my phone service. It is internet based and when prepaid for 2 years breaks down to $7.71/mo. Works great especially when the hurricane knocks out cel service

Last edited by JGVillages; 06-25-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

Slight change of topic, but does anyone know if there is an Internet Service Provider that offers a flexile plan to part time residents. We come and go to our Villages home and would like to have Internet when there, but can not justify paying a monthly rate, year round, when we are only there about 1/3 of the time. The Daily Sun lets us subscribe for a year and turn on and off the delivery based on when we are there and does not charge us for the time we don't have the paper delivered. Our year subscription lasts about 3 years based on the delivery we request when at the Villages. The Villages.Net also lets us turn the service on and off (on a monthly basis) as needed so that we can make t-times. We would sign up for internet service in a heart beat if we could do the same with that service. It would seem that with all of the part time residents who own homes in the Villages that this would be available? Boy, would it be nice to go on-line at our home rather than driving the golf cart and sitting outside TooJays to browse the web on the IPAD.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:15 PM
Sage
Default Internet service

Switched to Spectrum(Brighthouse) from Comcast 2 weeks ago to save 50 bucks a month. Bonus includes more channels and a VOIP. Internet speed seems about the same but I do miss the voice command remote control. 50 bucks is 50 bucks.
BTW, Comcast was gonna go up an additional 40 bucks a month after the year was up. So, 90 bucks in my pocket. Better me than them.
So, now I pay $110 per month total, out the door for the triple play, no contract. If Spectrum starts to play games I’ll dump them too. I’ll give Comcast about 4 months to “offer” me a special rate again. Games, games, games.
I do miss the days of climbing the pole to “connect” to the homestead. IP addressing ruined everything [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Wiotte; 06-25-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Switched to Spectrum(Brighthouse) from Comcast 2 weeks ago to save 50 bucks a month. Bonus includes more channels and a VOIP. Internet speed seems about the same but I do miss the voice command remote control. 50 bucks is 50 bucks.
BTW, Comcast was gonna go up an additional 40 bucks a month after the year was up. So, 90 bucks in my pocket. Better me than them.
So, now I pay $110 per month total, out the door for the triple play, no contract. If Spectrum starts to play games I’ll dump them too. I’ll give Comcast about 4 months to “offer” me a special rate again. Games, games, games.
I do miss the days of climbing the pole to “connect” to the homestead. IP addressing ruined everything [emoji53]

Was that you who I paid to hook up the entire schmere for $50 back in the day? People would sell illegal boxes. What a shame.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:35 AM
Default Ipad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Slight change of topic, but does anyone know if there is an Internet Service Provider that offers a flexile plan to part time residents. We come and go to our Villages home and would like to have Internet when there, but can not justify paying a monthly rate, year round, when we are only there about 1/3 of the time. The Daily Sun lets us subscribe for a year and turn on and off the delivery based on when we are there and does not charge us for the time we don't have the paper delivered. Our year subscription lasts about 3 years based on the delivery we request when at the Villages. The Villages.Net also lets us turn the service on and off (on a monthly basis) as needed so that we can make t-times. We would sign up for internet service in a heart beat if we could do the same with that service. It would seem that with all of the part time residents who own homes in the Villages that this would be available? Boy, would it be nice to go on-line at our home rather than driving the golf cart and sitting outside TooJays to browse the web on the IPAD.
We added an IPad to our unlimited Verizon plan ,only $20 a month because it was the 4th unit on the plan. The speed in Lynnhaven is good. No issue watching video.For TV we use Directv. I connect the IPad to the Directv box via the personnel hotspot and Verizon allows 15 GB a month for the personnel hotspot connection.That allows you to to watch about 15 hours of on demand programs. Directv has a good vacation plan. Two times a year you can put the service on hold,must be 30 days,no more than 180. No fees are charged when on hold.
We are in The Villages for Sept,Oct,Nov,Jan,Feb,March and April.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:01 AM
Thumbs down Spectrum = LIARS !!!

Spectrum advertise triple play. What a joke !!!!

I've been with them since January and my bill has yet to be what they advertise. I signed up for TV / Internet / Phone. My bill is $170 per month, goes up each month and NOT what I signed up to get. Each time I call I get the "Well, look at what you are getting for free." NO contract means they can charge you whatever they want... Even though they advertise something else...

LIARS.... JUST LIARS...
Old 06-26-2018, 08:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post

I've been with them since January and my bill has yet to be what they advertise. I signed up for TV / Internet / Phone. My bill is $170 per month, goes up each month and NOT what I signed up to get. Each time I call I get the "Well, look at what you are getting for free." NO contract means they can charge you whatever they want... Even though they advertise something else...

LIARS.... JUST LIARS...

Actually No Contract means you can dump ‘em like an ugly blind date.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:32 AM

Seasonal Service. It is offered by both Spectrum and Comcast. We are seasonal and for a modest monthly fee we can suspend service on either one during our absence. We still get email sent to the respective suspended account. Log into your account and search "seasonal service" for details.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Spectrum

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-26-2018, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post

LIARS.... JUST LIARS...
Then why haven't you dumped them and move on?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-27-2018, 10:31 AM
Angry Waiting !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Then why haven't you dumped them and move on?
When they get to $200.00 per month, they are gone!!
Closed Thread

Tags
service, internet, forsharing, advance, recommendations

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.