Issues with Sam's Club, to say the least...

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2014, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Atlanta? Glad we got that cleared up.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Wait! Atlanta is 39.9 miles from TV? Did they move it recently? Good Grief,Gainesville is 50 miles from TV

Good news. I'd rather go to ATL than Gatorville. Now that ATL is closer I'll go more often.

Now if we could just move Boston.....
Old 08-31-2014, 07:48 AM

When we move in next year we too will keep our Costco membership. To us it's worth the drive maybe once a month to stock up. Plus we have an extra freezer so I always buy my meat there and divide it up when I get home. We will put a cooler in the car and go. I also found that there is one in Clearwater Beach so I thought now and then we could go to the beach for a couple hours, then go to Costco and home. I know that's a long day but we love the beach and we love Costco. We certainly wouldn't do that every time but now and then it would be fun. What the heck we'll be retired. A 39 mile drive isn't bad. I think the quality Costco sells is worth it. IMHO.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:03 AM
Veteran member

Sorry, Dotti. I've never experienced problems like that in Sam's Club but I can understand the frustation. We usually go there a half hour before closing and it's pretty calm. We always use the self-check. A few weeks ago all the registers were down at Wal-Mart when I was waiting to pay. I believe my patience limit was around 7 min before I abandoned the cart and walked out.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:31 AM
Gold member

Never had any problems at SAMs. I went to Costco with a friend and they too had long lines and more traffic getting there and parking. Both stores are clean and easily navigated, and employees at both stores are pleasant and helpful. Costco's potato salad is far superior! It's not likely that I would travel to Costco unless there was a Home Goods next door! I would like to add the I have a plus membership at SAMs and go before the store opens to everyone. More relaxing!
Old 08-31-2014, 08:34 AM

We stopped in a costco in Tallahassee and wanted to see what they were all about. They don't give out guest passes. You can always count on lines at SAMs and Walmart however over the last year Publix seems to falling in line with long lines and no cashiers.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:42 AM
Sage

Not a heavy, frequent Sam's shopper. So take it for what it's worth. But I've had only the expected occasional, minor glitches. Nothing like you described.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:46 AM

I used to go to Sam's regularly, but now only go for big-ticket items where the savings are substantial. On my last "regular" trip to Sam's, I needed EVOO. They had an abundance of ginormous bottles, but only 1 smaller bottle and I took that one. I did not realize that part of the barcode sticker was torn. The bottle wouldn't scan, so the checker sent a runner to get the barcode. I told the runner that there were no more bottles on the shelf and they would have to scan the shelf tag. The runner returned with a barcode written on a scrap piece of paper, but it scanned at the price for the ginormous bottle. When I told the checker that was the wrong price, she said I had 2 choices - pay the higher price or not buy the EVOO at all because she couldn't let me "tie up her line." I decided then that I would pay the higher price and go immediately to CS to complain - not about the higher price but about the checker's attitude. While waiting for the CS manager, I discovered that the checker had removed another item from my cart - a food item that sells at a "2 for" price. I had only wanted 1, and when the checker told me that I had to buy 2 I told her just to scan the 1 item twice. Instead, she just took it upon herself to remove it completely without even telling me.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:00 AM
Gold member

It is hard to believe that Costco has not opened a store near TV. They would be very successful with a location there!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:02 AM

Could be wrong, but I believe the Costco in Altamonte Springs has a Home Goods store about a block away.
P.S. Sam's Club is switching from the Sam's Discover card to a new Sam's MasterCard. I received the new card in the mail and will no longer be able to use the old one. This change over was scheduled for the end of the month (August). Perhaps this caused a computer glitch which accounted for the recent cash register malfunctions.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:13 AM

WE have too get phone #so when I go. I can pick up what you need I go there every other month. I miss Costco still use there paper towel and toilet tissue and many other things
Old 08-31-2014, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I've been a member for over two years. I'm not a big fan, but I've never experienced problems like the OP presents.

Not enough cashiers is a pet peeve of mine. I find it to be pretty standard operating procedure at most large corporation stores. They all try to keep payroll at a minimum.

I belong to Sam's Club because they are the only game in town unless you want to drive and hour and fifteen minutes to Costco in Altamonte Springs. The gas spend would offset any savings. In fact, I often wonder if we are saving much more than the $100 annual membership fee at Sam's each year.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonerboy View Post
Could be wrong, but I believe the Costco in Altamonte Springs has a Home Goods store about a block away.
P.S. Sam's Club is switching from the Sam's Discover card to a new Sam's MasterCard. I received the new card in the mail and will no longer be able to use the old one. This change over was scheduled for the end of the month (August). Perhaps this caused a computer glitch which accounted for the recent cash register malfunctions.
If you use the self checkout at Sam's with your new Mastercard, you should be aware that there is a chip on the front right of the card. The card has to be inserted in the bottom of the card reader with the chip up. It will not work if you slide your card in the strip reader. We went in a few days ago to pick up three items and couldn't get the reader to work. After about five minutes of playing with this thing, an associate came over and helped me out.

I'm disappointed that this wasn't explained when I got my new card or that they don't have clear instructions at the card reader. But, it was a one time thing.

Another issue that I have is that I used to use the self checkout every time. One day we went in and they had changed the self checkout lanes to ten items or less only. Now I get inline and wait while I see four or five self check out lanes empty.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:59 AM
Veteran member

We have not had the problems you have encountered, except if you have to go to the membership or return desk..... we go to costco in Alamonte Springs about every 4-6 weeks and now that is about 7 miles from Trader Joes.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:08 AM
Email Reported As Spam

What OP described happens everywhere and will only get worse in prime time here. Costco membership is higher and many of their products more than SAM's but like all shopping you need to pay attention
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.