Architect

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2017, 12:44 PM
Default Architect

Assume I found a home that I liked...primarily because of the lot. What if I wanted to make EXTENSIVE changes to this home. Is there an a architect...even retired that would understand what can and can't be done to a home in The Villages. I have a general idea what I want....I am just not sure who can help me understand if it is doable and approximately what kind of costs to be incurred.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

If you contact the county building department, you can get a copy of the house plans. These will have the original design firm on the drawings, I have a set for my house. These will also have an indication of any interior walls that are LOAD BEARING, ours has 2. There is a wealth of other information on these. I would get these first, then you could try contacting the original designer, or your own for opinions on whether what you want to do can be done. Some of the large firms (T&D comes to mind) may be willing to meet with you, however, the last time I dealt with them it was a 4 to 6 week wait for the initial meeting!
If you are not familiar with TV homes, most if not all of the plumbing is in the floor, none in the attic, and only risers in the walls.

Also, if you know the model of the house, you can ask on here if other people have done similar modifications.

Now one final word of caution, for ANY and ALL home expansion projects you will need to contact ARC, VCDD Architectural Review or phone 984 Old Mill Run, The Villages, FL 32162, Community Standards Phone: 352-751-3912. This step is very important, because without ARC approval your project is dead in the water.
Hope this helps, will be glad to talk on the phone in greater detail, send me a PM with your phone number.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:59 AM

I'm meeting with a contractor to discuss general ideas on whether changes can be done. He will have floor plans. More so, wish to find out if they are cost effective. I also have a drafting company in mind should I need more specific detail to major changes. The changes that I am talking about are major and can only work in certain circumstances. I am well aware of easements, neighbor issues and keeping outside of home harmonious to its surroundings. Once I get a general OK from the contractor, I would consider talking to owner of home. I suspect owner would not be pleased with my offer. At the same time, I do not think owner will be able to sell his place in its current condition. He wants too much and visually it is an eyesore. I would prefer to deal with him directly. I think he is dealing with a multitude of real estate agents and at this point in time, I do not think he has come to the realization that he cannot sell his home for what he is listing it. Just my opinion. ??Little money to be made since Developer controls pricing and inventory. How to approach homeowner without offending is key. But, if not this house, then a similar situation down the road. Won't be easy but not impossible. I am simply not impressed with these tract homes, regardless whether it is 300k or 1.5 million. Call me jaded.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[COLOR="Magenta"
Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
if you contact the county building department, you can get a copy of the house plans. These will have the original design firm on the drawings, i have a set for my house. These will also have an indication of any interior walls that are load bearing, ours has 2. There is a wealth of other information on these. I would get these first, then you could try contacting the original designer, or your own for opinions on whether what you want to do can be done. Some of the large firms (t&d comes to mind) may be willing to meet with you, however, the last time i dealt with them it was a 4 to 6 week wait for the initial meeting!
If you are not familiar with tv homes, most if not all of the plumbing is in the floor, none in the attic, and only risers in the walls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
[/COLOR]

Also, if you know the model of the house, you can ask on here if other people have done similar modifications.

now one final word of caution, for any and all home expansion projects you will need to contact arc, vcdd architectural review or phone 984 old mill run, the villages, fl 32162, community standards phone: 352-751-3912. This step is very important, because without arc approval your project is dead in the water.
Hope this helps, will be glad to talk on the phone in greater detail, send me a pm with your phone number.
Hope this helps.

Please read the above again. No matter what you think the house you like is worth and no matter what you think you can do to improve it with an architect, you have to have the plans approved first by the Architectural Review Committee here First. BEFORE you begin....
Old 03-23-2017, 07:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
I'm meeting with a contractor to discuss general ideas on whether changes can be done. He will have floor plans. More so, wish to find out if they are cost effective. I also have a drafting company in mind should I need more specific detail to major changes. The changes that I am talking about are major and can only work in certain circumstances. I am well aware of easements, neighbor issues and keeping outside of home harmonious to its surroundings. Once I get a general OK from the contractor, I would consider talking to owner of home. I suspect owner would not be pleased with my offer. At the same time, I do not think owner will be able to sell his place in its current condition. He wants too much and visually it is an eyesore. I would prefer to deal with him directly. I think he is dealing with a multitude of real estate agents and at this point in time, I do not think he has come to the realization that he cannot sell his home for what he is listing it. Just my opinion. ??Little money to be made since Developer controls pricing and inventory. How to approach homeowner without offending is key. But, if not this house, then a similar situation down the road. Won't be easy but not impossible. I am simply not impressed with these tract homes, regardless whether it is 300k or 1.5 million. Call me jaded.
There is more to it than that. Call the Architectural Review Committee now. There are DEED RESTRICTIONS. Don't waste your money on plans you won't be able to use.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:00 PM

I have called them. I have been told the issues are easements and making sure the changes are harmonious with neighborhood.
As far as changes on the inside, they don't care. But I will talk to a general contractor and perhaps get an architect involved so that the changes work for both me and The Villages.When we are talking about a lot that is 2/3 of an acre, you certainly do not have the same concerns as most of these postage stamp lots. But thanks for your thoughts.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:50 PM

Can't have the plans approved unless you find the project is doable and reasonable in budget. Then can't move forward til you buy the house
Then can't start project until it is outline by an architectural firm that has experience within The Villages.
One step at a time
Closed Thread

Tags
home, understand, architect, idea, general

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.