Laminate Countertops

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2023, 08:00 AM

Your Cabinet Source, Inc. Leesburg 352-728-3806 --high end laminate.
Old 02-14-2023, 08:06 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

iMO granite is so ugly and so passé, I would rather have laminate. My first choice would be quartz, but the OP didn't ask what he should get, he asked about laminate. I got my solid white laminate counters at IKEA in Orlando. Got a handyman to install them. I love them because the laminate wraps around the edges. I've had them for 7 years with zero problems......
Old 02-14-2023, 08:22 AM

Had our house built in 2002, put in very good quality laminate. Twenty 1 years later still beautiful, no cuts, burns, things people said would happen. Still love the countertop we picked, still glad we went with laminate, bathrooms still look beautiful too. As far as when we sell, you can't chase what you think buyers will want. Every buyer is different. A buyer can always change things to their tastes. A friend put in a new walk in shower in the guest bathroom because everyone told them it would help sell their home. Guess what? Most said they wanted a tub for their visiting grandkids. Make yourself happy, don't chase supposed buyers for your home down the road, trends change every day.
Old 02-14-2023, 08:56 AM
Sage

To all the people dissing laminate I can tell you we've had many houses (some we built) that had it and never an issue. Some of it, from a distance it's hard to tell if it's laminate or stone. I'm sure accidents happen but we've never/ever had anything happen. Granite should be treated despite what some say. IF I were to replace our counter-tops and could afford it, I'd go with quartz. BUT OP.....go for the stuff you're thinking about. I've seen it in many homes here! For pricing of the laminate---I'd go to at least 3 places to compare before making a decision.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagesgal View Post
Had our house built in 2002, put in very good quality laminate. Twenty 1 years later still beautiful, no cuts, burns, things people said would happen. Still love the countertop we picked, still glad we went with laminate, bathrooms still look beautiful too. As far as when we sell, you can't chase what you think buyers will want. Every buyer is different. A buyer can always change things to their tastes. A friend put in a new walk in shower in the guest bathroom because everyone told them it would help sell their home. Guess what? Most said they wanted a tub for their visiting grandkids. Make yourself happy, don't chase supposed buyers for your home down the road, trends change every day.
I would never buy a house without a tub.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:04 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Hey! Why all the countertop-shaming. Geez. Sounding a bit snotty this morning. Be nice.

First of all, the OP said “rental” — makes sense to me. Why spend a fortune on countertops for a rental. If later on the owner wants to change to granite or quartz or whatever comes along next, it would be a whole lot easier to demo a laminate top.

As far as granite goes, I have seen pictures of granites that could end up becoming deal-killers in a house-for-sale. One was an absolutely dizzying pattern that could disorient somebody first thing in the morning.

I — myself — chose a granite during the “Tuscan phase” of design so popular during the first part of this century. I thought it was gorgeous, even though if I dropped my vitamin, it would disappear into the swirls and twirls and I would have to feel for it. Those countertops definitely drove the room. We sold that house years ago, so I don’t know if my “statement” choice is still there. If we still lived in that house, I would want to get rid of that granite that I had been so sure I would love forever.

Anyway, OP, go forth and find that laminate. Makes sense in so many ways.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 02-14-2023 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:46 AM

Formica has luxury edging which looks great:
Attention Required! | Cloudflare
Old 02-14-2023, 01:56 PM

What about CORIAN ? Before coming to The Villages I wanted CORIAN. The Contractor I spoke to convince me to get WilsonArt. It was a solid surface just like Corian except it was a little thinner.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:55 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It is true that granite can emit a small amount of radon gas, but granite countertops have never been linked to any radon health issues. And, placing a hot pot on any countertop is not a good idea and can cause damage. Granite and quartz can crack from the heat. But, granite and quartz are more durable than laminate, and will increase the value of your house. I don't think that most people do any sealing or other regular maintenance on their granite countertops. Some laminate countertops are more attractive than others, but they are all made of plastic and have basically the same lack of durability. I would never replace countertops with laminate, if I could afford to use a stone material. My opinion.
Thanks for a non judgmental and interesting reply ! I "get it". We each have our own experiences and reasons for the things and materials we like most. I consider granite very monotonous, every model home I see it in seems pretty much the same. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to all be some variation of gray, or brown. Had such great experience with laminate, don't think I'd get anything else unless we finally had a negative experience (like the commenter who had the water go into crack and ruin the whole counter ! Had one home with a beautiful laminate, in a blue, and trimmed with actual OAK wood edges. It was stunning, but was not practical due to easy damage to the wood edges. After that, went for the "beveled" look edge, attractive and VERY durable... but sure loved the look of the real wood trim ! ! I think the day will come when people see a house with granite counters and think how out of date, like avocado or gold appliances once THE latest in kitchens., or that trendy new "shag" carpeting that was such a joy to try to CLEAN....LOL !
Old 02-14-2023, 07:39 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmrocano View Post
Hi looking to install luxury laminate countertops in my rental. Seeking recommendation for supplier?
Thank you

I'm flabbergasted by some of the responses to this thread. I built high-line custom homes for 10 years and still do some high-line commercial construction. I would never use a "laminate" in a counter-top, but decided to ask a few friends ... maybe I'm the crazy one?

I asked 10 people today, what they would think if they saw a "For Sale" or "For Lease" ad and the kitchen had "laminate" counter tops. Without exception, everyone had the exact same answer:

"I would skip over that one and look for something else. I would assume the home hasn't been updated since the 70's".

Ask a professional or just with what you like or what you can afford.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:34 AM

We had Wilsonart High Definition laminate counters installed in our kitchen ten years ago and it still looks great. Since we are seasonal, cost was a definite factor in our decision to go with the laminate. It has held up well and still looks new, just wipe it down with a sponge and water. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:38 AM

///

Last edited by RPDaly; 03-14-2023 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPDaly View Post
It may help sell your home faster but don't expect to recoup the full cost of stone counter tops
Homeowners should never expect to recover the full cost of any upgrade. If you recover 60 percent, you are doing well.
Closed Thread

Tags
laminate, countertops, install, luxury, rental

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.