Laminate countertops

Old 01-08-2024, 06:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Re-doing Laminate counter tops is a very simple job, most any handyman can do. Laminate can be applied directly over your existing laminate and it's very inexpensive to buy. All you need, is a can of mastic adhesive and a router to do the edges and it will look brand new.

If you're doing something new and don't have any counter tops to do over, they're not hard to build from scratch, you just can't do post-formed very easily.

If you can't find someone to do them and you're in TV, go talk to someone at the Woodworking Shop.
I did my own with my dad when he was still alive and it was fun! But I'm not set up with all the tools needed and I don't see the need for having to buy them all and store in a small shed at this point. My existing counters were water damaged from previous owners so I can't simply re-cover them, and they'll be the wrong size for my new cabinet design. But thanks for your input.
Old 01-08-2024, 06:37 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Fr View Post
Why not wait to replace the cabinets until the countertops are ready?
The countertops can't be ordered until the new cabinet design is set up, so they can get an accurate template. I'm going to have to fiddle with some fillers when I assemble them to make sure everything is symmetrical.
Old 01-08-2024, 06:39 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant View Post
My quartz countertops were quoted at 6 weeks but they came in at 2. Got them from Roberto's.
Wow, lucky you!!
Old 01-08-2024, 07:15 AM
Veteran member

I agree with some of the other posters looking into an alternative to laminate.
Not that much to save time, but there are many options that are easier to take care of.
Just shop around look at price and time and see if an alternative will work for you.
Good luck.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:17 AM
Default Countertops

I have not used them but have gotten a strong recommendation for Solid Surfaces in Leesburg. They may be able to accommodate your time frame.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:28 AM
Sage

Some years ago, I was thinking of quartz and wanting to replace the builder grade laminate but my other half said, "will our food taste the same if we change?" I would go for "high definition" laminate now...not sure how that compares in cost. We have had laminate in ALL of our homes. We built houses too so they weren't old. Being grateful and satisfied is key and not trying to keep up with the "Joneses" as my parents used to say. HGTV is fun to watch but for many it's caused dissatisfaction. Young folks want/desire what their parents had....just watch sometime. A bathroom (single), 3 bedroom starter is what many of us had back in the day. The family I grew up in were 6 in number---we lived in a bungalow that had 2 beds, one bath on the main floor. My dad finished the upstairs to make one closet and 2 bedrooms to accommodate the family. One bedroom on the 1st floor became a "study".
Old 01-08-2024, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDog View Post
You got it, Boomer, well said.

I could write an essay on the irrational psychology of countertop choices, I've been watching it for a couple decades now.

It's "the power" of HGTV and keeping up with the Joneses, it seems, that people who previously never gave countertops a second thought would rip-out ones still in good shape to spend many thousands on new ones which provided virtually no added utility - it was all for aesthetics. But, they still lived in a modest-priced house or it was dated through-out the rest of it. Nutz!

People pour a bowl of cereal or make a salad the same way no matter what the surface is.
You make a very good point. Growing up we never gave a thought to what type of countertop someone had in their kitchen. Lol.
Old 01-08-2024, 09:03 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

I have white laminate countertops, I love them. I was quoted $4,000.00 for quartz, counters were $200.00. I got them at IKEA, my handyman cut and installed them for me. 9 years later I have never regretted getting them, never wish I had gotten quartz. I like them because they don't have the laminate edge...... you couldn't give me granite, I have never liked it..... I have never seen a granite counter I didn't think is ugly.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150306_191135_714.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	102110  
Old 01-08-2024, 09:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
No need to be a countertop snob. Laminate can be a good choice, not “a waste of money.” Countertop choice depends on what the individual wants and/or needs.

As one who spent good money on granite a couple of houses ago, I can tell you that I am so glad we don’t live there anymore. Kitchens were in their “Tuscan Phase” and I was, too. I just loved my Tuscany Tones. It did not matter to me that if my vitamin and my dog’s arthritis pill were loose on the counter, trying to find them was like looking for Waldo. But then I got tired of that look BECAUSE that is exactly what kitchen designers want us to do.

Granite dates fast. And don’t get me started on that silly waterfall look — served no purpose other than parting people from their money.

I could write a therapeutic (for me) big long thing about my life with countertop choices through 10 houses, but I will spare you.

That being said……c’mon, retiredguy123, don’t judge someone’s financial decisions by their countertop choice. Laminate could be a very smart financial decision — and comes with a whole lot less labor and guilt, if you want to change it later. (That is a fact that can definitely apply when buying a resale, too.)

Boomer

PS: But. . .I will not judge you as someone who judges people by their countertops. Your financial judgment, as shows in your posts, is usually quite sound. And you do not come through as one of those types who actually goes around judging people by their countertops.

But usually I do judge people who judge other people by their countertops.
I like laminate. There are some really attractive ones that I’ve used. I like marble and granite, but they are much more expensive than laminate. I could use that money elsewhere. I hear that quartz is losing its popularity. To me it just it looks sort of tacky, like glitter.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:18 AM

I believe a previous poster was actually referring to Solid Image in Leesburg, www.solidimageinc.com , not far from the Villages off Rt. 44.
I recommend that anyone doing a countertop project go and see them before going with anyone else.
We recently did all our kitchen, bathrooms (2) and laundry room countertops with them. All their work is done in-house, very reasonable pricing, excellent selection, great workmanship, quick installation and just nice people to work with. Go see Karen the owner, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by Marshlanding; 01-08-2024 at 10:20 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-08-2024, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

I like laminate too. I have marble (too much up keep) in one kitchen, quartz in another (too smooth and cold to touch) and laminate in my TV home. It is soft, I like it. But it does peel away with moisture at the seams. Now for counter top judges, I just don’t let them in my kitchen…. Lol.

And 6 weeks seems to be typical, a couple of my neighbors changed their tops, I forgot to ask to what, but took about 2 months.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Hi everyone, I need new laminate countertops installed and Home Depot is saying it would be 6 weeks before they'd be done. Has anyone gotten them installed way faster? Thanks for any advice.
I would stay away from Home Depot with their contracted installers, and go with a local firm who also does the installation. They make their living and reputation on their sales and installation, and will most likely do a better job than a low cost contracted installer.

Just my experience for this type of custom high visibility to you job.

No comments on laminate versus others, as it doesn't add value to the OPs question.

YMMV
Old 01-08-2024, 10:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
I would stay away from Home Depot with their contracted installers, and go with a local firm who also does the installation. They make their living and reputation on their sales and installation, and will most likely do a better job than a low cost contracted installer.

Just my experience for this type of custom high visibility to you job.

No comments on laminate versus others, as it doesn't add value to the OPs question.

YMMV
Ah, but we learn from each other, sometimes we don’t even know what we don’t know. So some people answer “above and beyond”. At university we sometimes used to say, it is answering the question that is under the question.
Old 01-08-2024, 11:04 AM
Default butcher block counters

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Have you considered Granite or Quartz, especially Quartz? Replacing laminate countertops seems like waste of money to me.
Just wondering if anyone has considered (or had experience with) butcher block and/or 'faux' type. I too am redoing my kitchen counter tops and have already ruled out the quartz/granite options. Sorry to get off the main subject but butcher block is a possible option to either laminate or the other. Any thoughts?
Old 01-08-2024, 11:19 AM
Veteran member

I love our laminate countertops with the beveled edges. When we sold our last house after 17 years the laminate countertop still looked great.

Tags
laminate, installed, countertops, faster, weeks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.