Laminate countertops

Old 01-08-2024, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

I also had butcher block a long time ago. The cons are: difficult to match color floor and cabinet. Too much upkeep (for me). I can live with it but not my preference specifically.
Old 01-08-2024, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
I have white laminate countertops, I love them. I was quoted $4,000.00 for quartz, counters were $200.00. I got them at IKEA, my handyman cut and installed them for me. 9 years later I have never regretted getting them, never wish I had gotten quartz. I like them because they don't have the laminate edge...... you couldn't give me granite, I have never liked it..... I have never seen a granite counter I didn't think is ugly.
Very nice! In my opinion, you just can't go wrong with clean, uncomplicated surfaces. And, ten years from now they will still look exactly that. An owner can always use painted walls and fabric in the kitchen to add color and pattern. Those are easy and inexpensive to change in the future, if desired.

I've never liked granite either - much too busy for my tastes but, I did see two versions I liked in houses of people I know. Both were a subdued, mossy green with light veining atop warm brown, wood cabinets. Quite classic. And in houses of their price points, it made sense to install an upgraded surface.
Old 01-08-2024, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

Granite is not as tough as it sounds, in fact it can be quite brittle.
Knocked a water glass over on a granite top we inherited with a previous house, and the glass chipped a lump off the granite edge.
Glass was unharmed.
Have Quartz now, mainly because I have a nasty habit of putting hot things on laminate.
Old 01-08-2024, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Knocked a water glass over on a granite top we inherited with a previous house, and the glass chipped a lump off the granite edge.
Glass was unharmed.
Have Quartz now, mainly because I have a nasty habit of putting hot things on laminate.
Quartz does not like hot things being placed on it. However much more user friendly than Granite
Old 01-08-2024, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Glass was unharmed.
I've had granite in two homes (current one for 10 years, previous home for 5 years). I've literally placed pans and pots (right from the oven and cooktop) directly on them with absolutely no issues. Of course, others might have different experiences.
Old 01-08-2024, 04:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Quartz does not like hot things being placed on it. However much more user friendly than Granite
Definitely takes heat better than laminate!
Old 01-08-2024, 04:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
I've had granite in two homes (current one for 10 years, previous home for 5 years). I've literally placed pans and pots (right from the oven and cooktop) directly on them with absolutely no issues. Of course, others might have different experiences.
I currently have granite. Quartz looks nice, but it is starting to get a bad reputation.

Quartz countertops linked to deadly lung disease in workers who fabricate the material

Quartz countertops linked to deadly lung disease in workers
Old 01-08-2024, 04:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Never had a problem with granite and heat as its a natural stone.
Liable to chip or crack if hit in wrong place.
Old 01-08-2024, 04:51 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshlanding View Post
I believe a previous poster was actually referring to Solid Image in Leesburg, www.solidimageinc.com , not far from the Villages off Rt. 44.
I recommend that anyone doing a countertop project go and see them before going with anyone else.
We recently did all our kitchen, bathrooms (2) and laundry room countertops with them. All their work is done in-house, very reasonable pricing, excellent selection, great workmanship, quick installation and just nice people to work with. Go see Karen the owner, you won't be disappointed.
We had a similar experience with them.
Old 01-08-2024, 05:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Ah, but we learn from each other, sometimes we don’t even know what we don’t know. So some people answer “above and beyond”. At university we sometimes used to say, it is answering the question that is under the question.
maybe, but lets not insult the OP's intelligence by ignoring the fact that owning a house in TV, being of retirement age in today's world, and have life experiences, that the OP hasn't considered other types of countertops. To me, too many people insult other people's intelligence by answer the question with other options, as if the person just dropped in from siberia and has never seen anything modern on TV, in other people's houses and in stores in a 50 mi radius of their residence.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynic View Post
Just wondering if anyone has considered (or had experience with) butcher block and/or 'faux' type. I too am redoing my kitchen counter tops and have already ruled out the quartz/granite options. Sorry to get off the main subject but butcher block is a possible option to either laminate or the other. Any thoughts?
MY daughter installed butcher block several years ago, and is very happy with them. They were extremely well priced at IKEA.
Now she’s looking to replace bathroom counters. IKEA had some very nice options.
Old 01-09-2024, 06:28 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
I would stay away from Home Depot with their contracted installers, and go with a local firm who also does the installation. They make their living and reputation on their sales and installation, and will most likely do a better job than a low cost contracted installer.

Just my experience for this type of custom high visibility to you job.

No comments on laminate versus others, as it doesn't add value to the OPs question.

YMMV
Good point about local installer. If anyone has experience with that versus Home Depot, I'd love to hear about it.
Old 01-09-2024, 06:35 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynic View Post
Just wondering if anyone has considered (or had experience with) butcher block and/or 'faux' type. I too am redoing my kitchen counter tops and have already ruled out the quartz/granite options. Sorry to get off the main subject but butcher block is a possible option to either laminate or the other. Any thoughts?
I have butcher block in my northern home and it's BAD.It's even more upkeep than all others IMO to keep it from staining. Unless you polyurethane it really thoroughly (we didn't), it might be constantly stained.
Old 01-09-2024, 06:39 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Definitely takes heat better than laminate!
Previous granite counter of mine became permanently stained by water ring from a hot lid. I'm not interested in resealing counters every year to prevent this.
Old 01-09-2024, 06:43 AM

If you have to replace them, you might as well go with quartz or granite, it’s not gonna be that much more money and it’s much more durable

Tags
laminate, installed, countertops, faster, weeks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.