Laminate floors - contractor needed

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2012, 08:53 AM
Smile

Another vote for Floor Masters.
Had them do our entire house and then had them do backsplash amd carpet in lanai. Very pleased with prices and installation.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
Looking for a contractor to install Laminate flooring - any suggestions / experiences or warnings appreciated. Thanks
Have you gone to home depot or lowes? Just a thought to get a price so you have somthing to compare with. Flooring is installed by the sq. ft. So the price of the floor plus the sq.ft labor price. just about everything in a home is priced by the sq ft.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Sage

Be sure to ask about floor prep. Do they level the floor? What about the pad? Separate or pre-attached? Does it include disposal of the existing flooring? How are the baseboards treated?

IOW, make sure there are no surprises when they are finished.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Sage

Floor Masters CR 301 and East Coast Flooring in Ocala seem to have the most users and the best reputation. Has anyone gotten estimates and compared prices between the two companies?
Old 02-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Veteran member
We priced Floormaster, The Floor Shoppe, East Coast Floors, Roberto's, Home Depot and Lowes. We chose Georgia Floors Direct because they had laminate that looked like wood. Some of the others had similar floors that were a couple of hundred to thousands more. Need to do your research.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Oldcrabs View Post
We priced Floormaster, The Floor Shoppe, East Coast Floors, Roberto's, Home Depot and Lowes. We chose Georgia Floors Direct because they had laminate that looked like wood. Some of the others had similar floors that were a couple of hundred to thousands more. Need to do your research.
Did you deal with Georgia Floors in Ocala? Do they have installation people on staff?
Old 02-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

East Coast Flooring - just excellent.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
East Coast Flooring - just excellent.
I'm definitely leaning toward East Coast Flooring. I know you've been in The Villages for a while now. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Veteran member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Did you deal with Georgia Floors in Ocala? Do they have installation people on staff?
East coast was one of the higher priced co. They do have a good reputation. Georgia Floors have their own subs. Ours was Wade Gibson from Belleview. He did an excellent Job. The store manager ( Jerry Jones) was great to deal with.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Oldcrabs View Post
East coast was one of the higher priced co. They do have a good reputation. Georgia Floors have their own subs. Ours was Wade Gibson from Belleview. He did an excellent Job. The store manager ( Jerry Jones) was great to deal with.
I was going to go with East Coast without doing any comparison shopping because of the recommendations. And they are conveniently located. But now you tell me it was one of the higher priced companies. Rats. Back to the drawing board.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
I was going to go with East Coast without doing any comparison shopping because of the recommendations. And they are conveniently located. But now you tell me it was one of the higher priced companies. Rats. Back to the drawing board.
When my neighbor had her laminate flooring put in, she got three estimates and East Coast was the lowest bid. They also had a good reputation, as did the other two companies she contacted. Maybe part of the difference in cost has to do with the type of flooring, how they handle the baseboards, furniture moving, reducer strips, thresholds, removal of existing flooring. These are some of the things you need to ask about. East Coast will be here tomorrow to start work on installation of laminate for our three bedrooms, I'll let you know how things go. Sometimes price isn't the only thing to consider.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
When my neighbor had her laminate flooring put in, she got three estimates and East Coast was the lowest bid. They also had a good reputation, as did the other two companies she contacted. Maybe part of the difference in cost has to do with the type of flooring, how they handle the baseboards, furniture moving, reducer strips, thresholds, removal of existing flooring. These are some of the things you need to ask about. East Coast will be here tomorrow to start work on installation of laminate for our three bedrooms, I'll let you know how things go. Sometimes price isn't the only thing to consider.
Pooh, I would love it if you'd keep us updated on the progress of your floor. Do they have a lot of choice at the East Coast store (I think on CR 301?)
Old 02-19-2012, 09:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Pooh, I would love it if you'd keep us updated on the progress of your floor. Do they have a lot of choice at the East Coast store (I think on CR 301?)
There were plenty of choices in all types of flooring. We wanted laminate, not high gloss and with a beveled edge between planks. So far, I've been in just about all my friends' homes that have laminate flooring and there isn't one I don't like, they all look great!

East Coast Flooring is on 441 in Ocala, it's a small shop, but as I said, they have laminates, engineered wood, wood, tile, etc. Enough for me to go into choice overload...

Will keep you informed!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Sage

Barefoot....today the master bedroom and closet had flooring put down....looks great and the two installers, Michael and Anthony did a great job! They've started prep work for the other two bedrooms, but the bulk of the work will be tomorrow for those rooms.

For our floors I opted not to have the baseboards removed, but instead, have quarter rounds installed. My home has rounded outside corners on the walls and there had to be an additional piece installed at each corner. What the guys did is great...it looks wonderful.

Tonight Mike and I are putting things back into the bookcases, reconnecting the tv, dvd player and cable box. Clothes are back in the closet...ah, my dining room table is now a table once again and not a repository for shorts, shirts, coats, sweatshirts, etc...

Will keep you informed. Got to make sure I've got stuff ready for lunch tomorrow, and soda,chilled.

(So far, I love my closet the most....it had the most buckled carpeting, now I can walk in without tripping over carpeting... )
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.