A/C Replacement

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2017, 02:55 PM
Default A/C Replacement

Can you recommend a company for a replacement AC unit?
Old 07-31-2017, 03:03 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,783 Times in 3,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by digibbons View Post
Sunshine A/C
Old 07-31-2017, 03:08 PM
Veteran member

Try Chuck Farrell.

Last edited by Jim 9922; 07-31-2017 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Orginal message ended up in wrong thread
Old 07-31-2017, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by digibbons View Post
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...rchid=13932170

Chuck Farrell
Old 07-31-2017, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I'll be the first to say it, Chuck Farrell's A/C & Heating 352-787-9497. Now watch, there will be at least ten more Chuck Farrell's behind mine.

CW got first while I was typing.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Chuck Farrell - AC & Heating - (352) 787-9497
Old 07-31-2017, 04:47 PM
Veteran member

For us, and we got 4 bids. Chuck Farrell, $1200 less than everybody Else and very honest. Could have sold us a more expensive unit but told us we really didn't need it, the pay back would be beyond the useful life,of the unit.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:50 PM
Gold member

Replaced mine last month. Got 4 quotes for 3 1/2 ton variable speed unit. Sunshine, Munns, DeSantis, and Chuck Farrell. Simply first 3 were at slightly over $6000 except Farrell that came in at $4500 for an American Standard/Trane system. Also received $500 rebate from TECO gas.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:10 PM
Gold member
Default Just wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
Replaced mine last month. Got 4 quotes for 3 1/2 ton variable speed unit. Sunshine, Munns, DeSantis, and Chuck Farrell. Simply first 3 were at slightly over $6000 except Farrell that came in at $4500 for an American Standard/Trane system. Also received $500 rebate from TECO gas.
Based on your information Farrel is 25% cheaper-that is quite a difference. I would ask the others WHY. Are they bidding on the same thing? Perhaps one is only replacing the compressor-the outside unit that you see and the others are going to replace the air handler, thermostat etc

We have a 3 year old Carrier, supplied by the builder with out newly built house. Ours is 13 SEER, the efficiency rating and I BELIEVE that was the minimum the government people would allow at that time. I looked at Fenney and they are installing 15 SEER units it my math is correct that is 13% more efficient.

I DO NOT CLAIM TO BE AN EXPERT BUT a major issue here is humidity. The multi-speed fans is the latest sales gadget. There are compressors with two speed fans and there are others with continuously variable speed fans. Is it worth the difference? Beats me. I could expect a constant noise you would stop hearing a changing noise you would notice. The reason for the multi speed fan is more efficient removal of the humidity.

RE: Payback time
That is salesman's BS. Try to get someone to put that in writing.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:49 PM
Sage

My 3 year old home has a 15 SEER Carrier. The air handlers they were installing then were programmed for a single speed. Multi-speed compressors and multi-speed air handlers have been around for a long time. I had one in a previous home, with multiple zones. Unfortunately, The Villages did not have the HVAC contractors install these higher end systems. This is too bad because of the better humidity control and potentially lower operating costs. However, there is something to be said for a simpler system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
Based on your information Farrel is 25% cheaper-that is quite a difference. I would ask the others WHY. Are they bidding on the same thing? Perhaps one is only replacing the compressor-the outside unit that you see and the others are going to replace the air handler, thermostat etc

We have a 3 year old Carrier, supplied by the builder with out newly built house. Ours is 13 SEER, the efficiency rating and I BELIEVE that was the minimum the government people would allow at that time. I looked at Fenney and they are installing 15 SEER units it my math is correct that is 13% more efficient.

I DO NOT CLAIM TO BE AN EXPERT BUT a major issue here is humidity. The multi-speed fans is the latest sales gadget. There are compressors with two speed fans and there are others with continuously variable speed fans. Is it worth the difference? Beats me. I could expect a constant noise you would stop hearing a changing noise you would notice. The reason for the multi speed fan is more efficient removal of the humidity.

RE: Payback time
That is salesman's BS. Try to get someone to put that in writing.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
Where can I find out more about the TECO rebate...qualifications, etc?
Dave
Old 08-23-2017, 04:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParSeeker View Post
Where can I find out more about the TECO rebate...qualifications, etc?
Dave
Conservation Rebates - Peoples Gas

"Email resrebates@peoplesgas.com or call 877 TECO PGS (877-832-6747) with any questions."
Old 08-23-2017, 04:32 PM
Gold member
Default Does anyone know

In days of old when it was cold. Payback was simple.
We knew the fastest payback came from increasing attic insulation and when the price of oil rose converting to gas heat.

As to electricity, the shocking fact is that we now pay half as much per kilowatt hour as we used to.

As to payback time. I have converted almost all of the bulbs in our home to LEDs. Since, they use far less electricity there is less heat so I expect you save on your AC as well.

Sadly, I've yet to find something worth reading or someone
NOT TRYING TO SELL YOU SOMETHING for advice.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:58 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Fifteen s.e.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
My 3 year old home has a 15 SEER Carrier. The air handlers they were installing then were programmed for a single speed. Multi-speed compressors and multi-speed air handlers have been around for a long time. I had one in a previous home, with multiple zones. Unfortunately, The Villages did not have the HVAC contractors install these higher end systems. This is too bad because of the better humidity control and potentially lower operating costs. However, there is something to be said for a simpler system.
You are right, I thought ours was 13 S.E.E.R but it is in fact MARKED 15 same as in Fenney.

We agree that a simpler system, single speed, which is what we have will be LESS COSTLY to repair. From listening to the home show on 96.5 FM I know or think I know that multi-speed fans, like anything else do not last forever and when they stop working they are far more expensive to replace.

If, I asked my question wrong due to 13 vs 15 the question is still if I have 15 S.E.E.R and replace the unit with a 19 S.E.E.R unit difference is 20% will my cost to AC my home drop by 20%?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.