Lawn Care

Old 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieJr View Post
Superior Services
1-800-PestControl
Ask for Mitch Bolton
They destroyed our grass, kept promising to improve and never did.

Hire this company at your peril.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyc6 View Post
Pest Control, Lawn Care - Green Smiths - The Villages, Florida

We’ve been very pleased with Greensmiths.
We have Greensmiths too. Our lawn was full of weeds and we considered ripping it out and resodding. We got Greensmiths and 6 months later have a beautiful lawn.

Last edited by fcgiii; 04-17-2024 at 06:38 AM. Reason: mistype
Old 04-17-2024, 06:42 AM

I’m trying to figure out what a monthly bill is for a typical Village residence. I know that $200 is the base assessment that everyone pays and that Villagers are responsible for their own landscaping.

What is a ballpark figure for a full service landscape package that includes edge, mow, shrub and tree trimming, debris removal, outdoor pest control, quarterly fertilization, and irrigation? My guess is that it would also be about $200, for a total of about $400/momth.

Yes, no, maybe so?
Old 04-17-2024, 06:42 AM

We are using Greensmiths. Tried Deans without Success.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:05 AM

1st rate residential service...we bought our home in December with alot of lawn issues....ended up re soding half my yard...not only was the work supurb but a less expensive than the well known guys. He's been taking care of my yard and looks like new...highly recommend him.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:07 AM

Yes, yourself. Always done correctly and pride in your work
Old 04-17-2024, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,755 Times in 5,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryrosek View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation for lawn fertilizing and pest control that isn't Massey or Dean's?
I cancelled my pest control contract about 3 years ago and I haven't seen any insects inside my house. You may want to try doing nothing for pest control inside your house. It works for me.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:08 AM
Default Deans for me

For me it’s Deans been here 6 years lawn looks great and no pests. Had a problem with brown spots and some weeds call office and someone came out within a couple days and resolved problems 👍. Just like most businesses down here constantly changing employees fortunately we’ve had great technicians.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:22 AM
Default Lawns in various areas of TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgiii View Post
We have Greensmiths too. Our lawn was full of weeds and we considered ripping it out and resodding. We got Greensmiths and 6 months later have a beautiful lawn.
Fascinating subject for me. I see that they call themselves "Green Smiths", two words. In my experience, salvaging a fouled up lawn would be an impressive feat. The lawns and general look of all the greenery here in The Villages was no small part of the draw for me. Just the "edging" in our neighborhood (just north of Hillsborough) strikes me as practically a work of art - even along the "main drags". What happened to many of the executive course greens this winter has been of great concern, and I'd feel a whole lot better if I were hearing better answers about an accurate diagnosis and predictable "cure".

Still haven't been through a full yearly cycle here, but starting to have some new questions about the lawns. Have gotten the sense that the builders have changed the "standard" lawn turf "type" as things have moved south. Have they now gone strictly to St. Augustine? *Love* the wider blade zoysia that came with our lawn, but have now come to understand that it has lots of Bermuda mixed in. The parts *without* the Bermuda are definitely more consistently attractive. Continue to ponder whether it's worth trying to reduce the Bermuda. Seem to recall that the differences were least noticeable last summer at the height of the "greenness".

We've only recently started to explore inside the gates of some of the other villages - other than in passing on the way to executives. Was surprised to see some "abandoned-looking" yards way up north. Also got the sense a bit further south from there that the lawns, while nicely kept, had less of the "crisp edge", look as well as what struck me as an even greater "mixture" of grass types (within lawns), with many sections of lawns looking considerably better than other sections. Has me wondering if keeping a "pure" lawn of any variety is a realistic goal here, especially over a couple of decades. Still learning. . .
Old 04-17-2024, 08:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryrosek View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation for lawn fertilizing and pest control that isn't Massey or Dean's?
Go to Lowe’s and get a container of fertilizer, one of pest control, and weed control. Put each on your garden hose and do it yourself. Be sure the weed-be-gone is the one labeled for St Augustine grass if that is what is on your lawn.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNative View Post
I’m trying to figure out what a monthly bill is for a typical Village residence. I know that $200 is the base assessment that everyone pays and that Villagers are responsible for their own landscaping.

What is a ballpark figure for a full service landscape package that includes edge, mow, shrub and tree trimming, debris removal, outdoor pest control, quarterly fertilization, and irrigation? My guess is that it would also be about $200, for a total of about $400/momth.

Yes, no, maybe so?
I pay Massey $86 per month for those services for a courtyard villa, but they recently stopped doing the shrub trimming. So, I will need to find someone to do that about every 4 months or so or do it myself. Until they stopped doing the shrubs, Massey was the only company who would do all of those services, except trees. I don't have any trees.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:36 AM
Default Particular technicians

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUnderwood View Post
For me it’s Deans been here 6 years lawn looks great and no pests. Had a problem with brown spots and some weeds call office and someone came out within a couple days and resolved problems 👍. Just like most businesses down here constantly changing employees fortunately we’ve had great technicians.
Have also had a fine experience for a particular issue with Dean's, and I also feel that it was largely due to the technician we lucked into. He fixed our mole cricket problem swimmingly.

Dean's offers the ability to email them with specific questions, so I did. It has been pointed out that I "overthink" things. Didn't bother him a bit. Got a phone call during a "rain delay" shortly thereafter from this same technician and he answered all my questions and we had a nice long discussion. He also clearly takes pride in his *own* lawn. Turns out that he had formerly worked under that extremely knowledgeable fellow at Ace Hardware. Not surprised.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:42 AM

Just switched from Deans to Fertigator. So far so good.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:39 AM

Fertigator and a big NO on Superior.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
Have also had a fine experience for a particular issue with Dean's, and I also feel that it was largely due to the technician we lucked into. He fixed our mole cricket problem swimmingly.

Dean's offers the ability to email them with specific questions, so I did. It has been pointed out that I "overthink" things. Didn't bother him a bit. Got a phone call during a "rain delay" shortly thereafter from this same technician and he answered all my questions and we had a nice long discussion. He also clearly takes pride in his *own* lawn. Turns out that he had formerly worked under that extremely knowledgeable fellow at Ace Hardware. Not surprised.
There are 3 things that I don't like about Deans. They require a credit card on file that they can charge monthly or whenever they want. They do not do shrub trimming or irrigation maintenance. And, they only do termite treatment on an annual fee basis, with no long term termite damage contract, like Massey and other companies offer.

Tags
lawn, massey, control, pest, fertilizing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.