Lawn Care

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2007, 05:19 AM
Default Lawn Care

We've just bought a new house in the village of Amelia and won't be able to move into it for a month or so. Can anyone reccomend a lawn care service to look after the outside until we get down there?
Old 07-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Lawn Care

I also just bought in Amelia and will not be able to be there all the time. Am hoping you get some responses as I need lawn care too!

Becky
Old 07-09-2007, 03:46 AM

My answer is to ask someone in your neighborhood (who has a beautiful lawn) who manages their yard. My mowing lawn maintenance man wouldn't drive over there. They are kind of localized to neighborhoods. The same suggestion with lawn care. Even though the truck may be one color the men doing the work have difference levels of pride in what they do. Good luck and welcome to The Villages
Old 07-09-2007, 05:01 AM

I'd love to ask someone in my neighborhood but right now we're still living in the Florida panhandle.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:27 AM
Veteran member

Am coming down for closing next week so will ask then. But it didn't look like too many homes were occupied around mine. Thanks!

Becky
Old 07-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Veteran member

I'm not making any recommendations but there are a few companies that do cut grass. Even if they encourage you to sign a yearly contract, DO NOT for your first year here. We signed one with Mike's Maintenance. They do a lot of work for the Villages and residents. We have kept them for the second year because unfortunately, we couldn't find anyone who wanted to do a Courtyard Villa. Not enough money in it. I would also suggest to all newer folks, don't sign any continuing contracts for pest control, etc. until you actually look around and get a few estimates. There is Bates, Massey and Mike's that I know of to name a few.

Just take your time and if you won't be here often, talk to your neighbors who do move here full tiime and even to folks in other Villages neighborhoods to get some good information. Good idea is to drive around and get a look at how som work is done and then find out who does it.

Best of luck and Welcome!
Old 07-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Sage

Frangy is absolutely correct....do not pre-pay any services contracts for a full year in case you're not happy and need to fire them; Even if they make you sign a one year contract be sure you can pay as you go and can bail out with as little as 30 days notice if not satisfied. If a company won't honor these terms then find someone else.

For perspective, monthly lawn maintenance (cut, trim, blow) on a designer sized lot (up to a quarter acre) is approx $50/month (and you pay it all year even though very little activity in the winter). A bargain compared to big city prices.

You'll need a separate vendor for pest control...for example on a 1/4 acre designer lot with Massey to do fertilization, weed and feed, and pest control a contract will cost you approx $600/year. These are broad estimates but give you an idea what to expect.

Also, a big surprise to me was cost of irrigation water, even with watering restrictions. Again, it depends on the size of your lot, but, a quarter acre lot could cost $70-$100/month to water in high use months. There are a number of these services that you may not be familar with now...all the cost of living here. But, no state income tax and so much to do here that I don't spend nearly as much on vacations as before!!! Enjoy.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Veteran member

Villages07, believe it or not, I pay $50 a month to cut the grass for my courtyard villa and I have river rocks around the front of the property!!! Amazing, isn't it????
Old 07-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Reggie
My neighbor and I use a young man to cut/trim the grass and blow the driveway etc and he has been reliable for the past year ...$55/mo for a 11,000 sq ft lot....NO Contract involved. In fact when I am not in residence he mails a bi-monthly bill to accomodate my needs. In fact my neighbor will be moving to Amelia in the next month or so and Im certain he will bring this service with him. Call Jonahaton at 352-259-0905.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:03 PM

When you get a name for a lawn care company call the Seniors vs Crime office to see if any one has reported a problem with them. The SVC for Sumter County is located in the Sherrifs annex on 466 and are open 10-2 on Tuesday and either Wed or Thurs. Just call the sherriff's office and they will connect you. Lawn care and landscaping are one of the biggest areas of complaint logged in the SVC. Good Luck
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.