Let's Talk Tesla

Old 03-28-2024, 03:56 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Let's Talk Tesla

Hello to all! Casandra with Pike's Electric again. Let's talk Tesla (or EV)!
Do you own a Tesla? How do you charge your Tesla or EV?
Did you know that Pike's Electric offers FREE estimates for EV charging lines and charging stations? And since you are a TOTV member, I will give you 5% off your quote just for mentioning it!

I am excited to be speaking and showing a presentation at The Villages Tesla Club private meeting on 4/3/24 on what we offer at Pike's Electric, the various charging options for your Tesla, the consequences of not charging properly, and/or not having a proper charging outlet/charging station installed by an electrician and much more. I have done lots of research and helped many Villagers find the perfect options for their Teslas, BMWs, Jeeps, and many other EVs.
Not part of the club? No problem. I'd love to help you with the options we can provide to charge your Tesla fast and efficiently!

We appreciate the continued support from our Talk of The Villages customers. Wishing you all a beautiful Easter weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Easter Peeps.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	103497  

(352)748-6251
Old 03-29-2024, 03:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

I like the idea of an EV, but I really don't know a lot of the finer points like, why don't they come with an adaptor so you could, when needed, plug into any wall socket? Proprietary to force purchasers to use manufacturer's "filling stations" where they can up-charge your charge (electricity)?
Old 03-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

I'm not an expert on EV charging, but it looks like you can just buy an adapter from Amazon for just about any plug-in connection.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
I like the idea of an EV, but I really don't know a lot of the finer points like, why don't they come with an adaptor so you could, when needed, plug into any wall socket? Proprietary to force purchasers to use manufacturer's "filling stations" where they can up-charge your charge (electricity)?
When you bought a Tesla, it would come with a cord and plug that you would just connect to any wall socket. They also provided adapters for a 220 and campgrounds. However, I don't think they provide these items as standard anymore. However, you can buy numerous adapters on Amazon. The adapter that plugs into a regular outlet will get you 4 miles per hour charged. So, if you plugged in it overnight, you would get maybe 50 miles. Another adapter on Amazon that costs $30-40 doubles that charging power. So, unless you plan on driving 100 miles/day, I don't think it's necessary to add anything to electrical panel.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Talk to me when I can drive 800-1000 miles on one charge.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Probably sooner than you think. Maybe a 2026 model. It's amazing and frightening what is going on in robotics even as we speak/type. Human brains grows from stem cells attached to circuitry and used as "biological computers."
Old 03-29-2024, 06:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by melpetezrinski View Post
When you bought a Tesla, it would come with a cord and plug that you would just connect to any wall socket. They also provided adapters for a 220 and campgrounds. However, I don't think they provide these items as standard anymore. However, you can buy numerous adapters on Amazon. The adapter that plugs into a regular outlet will get you 4 miles per hour charged. So, if you plugged in it overnight, you would get maybe 50 miles. Another adapter on Amazon that costs $30-40 doubles that charging power. So, unless you plan on driving 100 miles/day, I don't think it's necessary to add anything to electrical panel.
For wife and I it would be our second car (not second EV) so ease of operation, maintenance, overall expense to own/operate matter more than driving cross country.
I am a "save the planet" guy, and I practice what I preach as much as I can within my budgetary constraints.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I'd love to see you drive 800-1000 miles without taking a break to eat or use the restroom.
Typical Tesla fast charging happens in less time than it takes for that break.

And it's only on road trips. Any other time you leave your garage with enough charge to do pretty much anything.

Sure beats going to the gas pump, wasting time and breathing those fumes.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:25 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Hi there! So it is my understanding that some EVs, Tesla included, provides an adaptor kit, which is packaged in a way to keep in the car and take with you. This will allow you to charge on different plugs when needed. If you do not have a higher grade industrial plug and line ran from your home's electrical service for this purpose, you would be stuck charging on the standard 120v receptacle which would be a slow/trickle charge. For some, this may take too long to get the necessary mileage needed depending on driving habits and routines

(352)748-6251
Old 04-05-2024, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Are there "gas" cars that go 800-1000 miles? I know our Nissan SUV gets about 330 miles to a full tank. Our EV gets 303 to a full charge.

I do not think they will build vehicles that have a 800-1,000 mile range until they first design a car seat that our butts can survive for 800-1000 miles...

My first EV I had for 57 months. I used a road charging station only once for 12 minutes at a WaWa following a trip from Orlando to Tampa. The rest of the almost five years I simply plugged in at night in our garage. I spent zero minutes stopping at the gas station or pumping gas late at night, in rain, or on my way to work. I never once took it in for service. No service for brakes, oil changes, oil filters, radiator flushes, tune-ups, plugs, air cleaners, etc.

The only "service" in 57 months was a recall on a camera trunk cable. I left the vehicle parked outside in my driveway while I went to work (company car). The "mechanic" came to the house, unlocked and worked on the vehicle and I did not miss any time at work.

There are advantages to both. No periodic maintenance and no refueling every few days with gas are in the plus column for me.

We still have a gas car for trips back up to New York....

Pros and cons to both...
Old 04-05-2024, 08:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Can your car go 800 miles on one tank?

Tags
tesla, talk, charging, options, club

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.