lightning rod systems

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Veteran member
Default lightning rod systems

Does anyone know a lightning rod installer named John Sherlock? Have you used his services or do you know of anyone who has? Opinions? I will be calling seniors vs crime tomorrow and have already sent an email to BBB, but would like to hear from someone on this forum. He is coming tomorrow to give me an estimate.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Veteran member

Mac9
You will want to do a search on lightening and lightening rods as in one of the posts a comment was made about the installation and how the ground wires are routed to earth. It pointed out how some installers deal with spouting in their cable run.

I am sure reading the past posts will give you a lot of questions to be covered when getting your quote.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Veteran member

Thank you all for your responses, especially from Lenhart. The rods are being installed as I write. I spent many hours on the internet re: proper installation and Mr. Sherlock has complied totally with all of the proper installation requirements that I learned. I also checked with seniors vs crime and the bbb and neither had any complaints on file about him.
Anyone interested in using him, his phone # is 888-670-0781.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Just curious, if you have rain gutters, how is he getting around the gutters or is he going over them.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:47 PM

I've seen ground cables runinng down through downspouts.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
Just curious, if you have rain gutters, how is he getting around the gutters or is he going over them.
Neither meets the specifications of NFPA 780....there cannot be a turn of more than 90 degrees nor a radius of turn less than 8 inches in the routing of the grounding cable. And I wouldn't have a system installed that didn't meet these specs.

But that's just my choice, some contractors feel the over, around or through the gutters route is okay. There sure are a lot of them installed that way...

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.