Looking for computer repair service

Old 03-23-2024, 04:46 PM
Default Looking for computer repair service

Interested if anyone has a recommendation for reliable in home computer repair service? TIA.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:20 PM
Veteran member

jacobs on 301 in wildwood
Old 03-23-2024, 06:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

MMD on 441
Old 03-23-2024, 07:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Since you did not state the problem I agree with above for HARDWARE problems, if on the other hand you have a SOFTWARE problem, there are several people who come to the house for these issues. I cannot find my list, if I do I will reply agaain.
Old 03-23-2024, 08:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Since you did not state the problem I agree with above for HARDWARE problems, if on the other hand you have a SOFTWARE problem, there are several people who come to the house for these issues. I cannot find my list, if I do I will reply agaain.
When he said computer repair I thought of hardware problem but upon further review could be either
Old 03-23-2024, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,516 Times in 3,107 Posts

Quote:
If it's software and related to Microsoft Office Suite, I can probably help here on the forum. Depends on the problem.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Yes, I should have been more specific. I actually need someone who is experienced with the Hue bridge system operation. My Hue bridge is not working, and I am not sure if it is actually a router problem, cabling issue or the device itself.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblwyr View Post
Yes, I should have been more specific. I actually need someone who is experienced with the Hue bridge system operation. My Hue bridge is not working, and I am not sure if it is actually a router problem, cabling issue or the device itself.
I have a hue bridge and some hue lights. Here are some troubleshooting steps to try on the bridge:
- make sure the bridge is connected to your router with an ethernet cable, and the lights are on where it's plugged into the router
- make sure it's plugged into an internal port on your router. Some routers have external/WAN ports and internal/LAN ports, they're usually different colors. Try unplugging it from one color port and into the other color port
- if you have access to the router, log into it (the router) and see if it's recognizing a device on that port. My router has a "list ports" and "list devices" function
Old 03-24-2024, 08:04 AM
Veteran member

For software problems I recommend Linux Mint, depending on what you are using Windows for. However, after saying that, there are many Linux programs that do the same thing as a Windows program, just different. Linux does not spy on you, there is no Linux corporation, it's free as are most of the programs. The nice thing is, that you can try (via a USB stick) and if you like it you can load it (after you back any files you may want from Windows). I can help (no cost, it's my hobby).
Old 03-24-2024, 09:08 AM

Best Buy Geek Squad is a possibility.
Old 03-24-2024, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,516 Times in 3,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
For software problems I recommend Linux Mint, depending on what you are using Windows for. However, after saying that, there are many Linux programs that do the same thing as a Windows program, just different. Linux does not spy on you, there is no Linux corporation, it's free as are most of the programs. The nice thing is, that you can try (via a USB stick) and if you like it you can load it (after you back any files you may want from Windows). I can help (no cost, it's my hobby).
Installing, learning, and configuring an entirely different operating system, and then installing compatible software to do everything you need to get done, is a LOT of work if your problem is just "I can't get my spreadsheet to add column 15 automatically."

The OP's problem is a Smart control issue, and not a computer problem at all, so it doesn't matter.

But it's really not helpful and can be very frustrating and confusing to someone who doesn't know anything about the inner workings of computers, when they're told to switch operating systems. They have the OS they have. They need help working within those parameters.
Old 03-24-2024, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,084 Times in 2,746 Posts

Ubreakitifix on Wedgewood Lane is good, but you have to bring the computer there.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopat View Post
I have a hue bridge and some hue lights. Here are some troubleshooting steps to try on the bridge:
- make sure the bridge is connected to your router with an ethernet cable, and the lights are on where it's plugged into the router
- make sure it's plugged into an internal port on your router. Some routers have external/WAN ports and internal/LAN ports, they're usually different colors. Try unplugging it from one color port and into the other color port
- if you have access to the router, log into it (the router) and see if it's recognizing a device on that port. My router has a "list ports" and "list devices" function
I am not familiar with this equipment, however I would try searching "hue bridge problems" or similar on the internet and also on youtube with any luck you will find a solution.
Old 03-24-2024, 02:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Ubreakitifix on Wedgewood Lane is good, but you have to bring the computer there.
They are good but the name has been changed. Sorry do not remember the new name.
Old 03-24-2024, 02:43 PM
Default Great advice

Thanks to all who offered help with this issue. So, I decided to focus on the router. I discovered that the power strip the router was plugged into was faulty. The indicator light on the strip however was illuminated. So, an easy fix after all. Thanks again.

Tags
computer, repair, service, interested, recommendation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.