Lowe’s Flooring Experience

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2019, 08:18 PM
Default Lowe’s Flooring Experience

Reading reviews tonight as I am just about to go with carpeting from Lowes, but had a really strange experience with their subcontractor (might be Keller Interiors, not sure) who sends the person to measure. The person who came was "odd", I'll use that for the adjective. I tried very hard to just brush past my "gut" feeling, but, as it turned out the person was more than "odd". I kept quiet but, rather than walk about 6 feet to the side of the drapes that contained the pully assembly, he simply reached up and "yanked" as hard as possible to pull the drapes out of his way to use his laser to measure. I winced, but said not a word. Of course this really messed up the whole pully tension and thus the drapes. It got worse from there, I won't recount all here. In the end, he did NOT take the measurements of all I want done, so when Lowes said they needed another measure, I was fine with it but just asked that they send someone other than the first individual. They said they would do their best. I believe they were sincere, but I also realize they have no power over this person's employer or assignments. Unfortunately, the same guy showed up. Won't describe him but, believe me, dressed strangely for a professional. To each his own I thought, so I greeted him warmly, with a smile, and said "welcome ____, looks like we meet again. Sorry you had to come back, but I've decided to add some areas. He looked at me like a deer in the headlights. Let me know he had never been to my house. (His first visit was less than two weeks prior). He went to the area to be remeasured, and after he had finished the "problems" began as soon as I asked about a couple of tips I had picked up from retire people who had been in the business. (use of mechanical stretchers rather than the knee kick, double tack strip to prevent "wrinkles" in 2 or 3 years, etc.). It was immediately clear HE was in charge, did NOT appreciate my questions, was VERY vague about his employer, the office or address, and other questions that I could tell he considered prying (I guess ?). When he explained that he "hoped I realized there would be a seam right at the entrance of a bedroom, and I replied no, I don't think I wanted to have the seam there, he went into a long explanation of why it would be. When he finished, I thought it was my turn to talk again, so I explained how this retired from the business relative showed me the seam could be done since the carpet I had chosen came in either 12' or 15' widths. He stopped me, began to lecture me, even used his finger to shake at me and tell me to LISTEN, that the method he described was the proper way to install, lectured me on all his years of experience (I guess he was much older than he looked), and I finally said we'll just have to disagree on that one, I'll talk to Lowes again (Lowe's personnel were EXCELLENT !). I changed the subject, asked where his company way located ? Told "all over the country". I rephrased the question: Where is the nearest office ? I was told Ocala. I asked for the number so I could call and ask some of the questions he could not answer such as; do you use automatic stretchers ? Hand cranked or electric ? Can I request double tack strip since the area is so large ? Turned out the "office" number he gave me was his personal cell phone number (which I already had to use to set up the appointment !). So much for trying to get information on the actual installation crew and methods! Based on this, and the other things that happened (he argued with great tenacity),I finally had to ask him to leave since I found myself so annoyed I began to raise my voice and certainly wanted to avoid something like that. He had finished his measurements but continued to stand in my bedroom and not move. I asked him to follow me to the front door. He did not. I went back to that portion of the house and asked him again to please leave. He said not until he could explain his plan for seams more. I told him the person I was working with at Lowes had already done that, even drew a diagram, and we could decide then on vertical or horizontal seams. I ask him again to please follow me to the front door. He did, he continued to "talk" to the closed door. Finally returned to his car, got on his cell phone and when I left my house later to do some errands, he was still parked in front of my home. After this second experience, I am really leery of Lowes and more convinced my negative "gut feeling" from the first encounter, was on target. The two folks I have been working with at Lowes are fantastic, could not be more customer friendly, excellent communication, always return calls very promptly, and not even on commission. Yet, I am really concerned about WHO will be coming to my house and what they will do. I don't know what to do now, I love the carpet and the vinyl plank I have spent so much time picking out, but afraid after I pay the huge bill, Lowes might wash their hands of it ???

Last edited by Ladygolfer93; 06-06-2019 at 10:32 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-06-2019, 10:56 AM
Default Follow your gut

Follow your gut. Look elsewhere. Cross reference materials to find at other carpet stores.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:28 AM

I find that I always have the last say. I hold the purse strings and as long as payment is by credit card I never worry. You can dispute the charge if everything isn't done properly.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Wow. Sounds like a horrible experience. I really like working with Lowe’s, but if they can’t guarantee someone else, I would do what Daniele suggests, but also let Lowe’s know why they lost the business.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

I think that large stores like Lowe's and Home Depot, and also those referral companies like Home Advisor and Angies List are naturally going to attract inferior contractors. Lowe's relies on reviews and complaints to select, screen, and fire their contractors. Good contractors are not going to work for Lowe's because they can attract their own customers and make more money. They don't need Lowe's. So, I'm not surprised by your experience, but I would find another source for your flooring, preferably a company that doesn't use subcontractors that they don't know. If you want to use a large company, go to someone like Great Lakes Flooring, that The Villages uses for new construction.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Since the developer installed our original flooring by Great Lakes Flooring on 441 just before Walmart on the same side, I've used them twice. Last time was $5.99 a sq ft for engineered hardwood installed in the kitchen and DR and Foyer. They did a good job, also had them do a backsplash in the kitchen and laid indoor/outdoor on the lanai. They've opened a second location in Wildwood on 301 just north of 44.

The Villages Florida

From reviews here on TOTV I always heard great things as far workmanship and prices for East Coast Flooring, it's on 441 between Belleview and Ocala, so I planned on using them next time. The office doesn't look like much, but they'll come to you like most carpet people. The only problem I have with Lowe's and Home Depot is it's contracted out and you don't know who's doing what.

The Villages Florida

EASTCOASTFLOORING.COM
Old 06-06-2019, 04:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think that large stores like Lowe's and Home Depot, and also those referral companies like Home Advisor and Angies List are naturally going to attract inferior contractors. Lowe's relies on reviews and complaints to select, screen, and fire their contractors. Good contractors are not going to work for Lowe's because they can attract their own customers and make more money. They don't need Lowe's. So, I'm not surprised by your experience, but I would find another source for your flooring, preferably a company that doesn't use subcontractors that they don't know. If you want to use a large company, go to someone like Great Lakes Flooring, that The Villages uses for new construction.
While I don't agree with you about Home Adviser (had a self-employed closet installer do a fabulous job in three closets), I can personally recommend Great Lakes Flooring, the one on 301 in Wildwood. They did a fabulous job installing Karastan carpeting in two bedrooms and manufactured wood flooring in the den of our designer. I like the quality of their products, and especially the guarantee that comes along with the Karastan.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
While I don't agree with you about Home Adviser (had a self-employed closet installer do a fabulous job in three closets), I can personally recommend Great Lakes Flooring, the one on 301 in Wildwood. They did a fabulous job installing Karastan carpeting in two bedrooms and manufactured wood flooring in the den of our designer. I like the quality of their products, and especially the guarantee that comes along with the Karastan.
Glad you had a good experience with Home Advisor. But, people should know that, if you use that service, it is just by pure luck that you will find a good contractor. Home Advisor does not screen contractors in advance. They have almost no advanced information about how reputable or competent the contractor is. Rather, they aggressively market their service to any contractor who will pay them $300 per year plus an additional fee for every lead they provide to the contractor. If you go on their web site and request a project, you will be immediately hounded with numerous phone calls from contractors within a hundred mile radius trying to sell you their services. I personally knew a contractor who got work through Home Advisor, and I wouldn't let that contractor change a light bulb for me. So, good luck in finding a competent contractor using Home Advisor, or other similar services.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:18 PM

I went to East Coast today ! They did not have the carpet I found at Lowe's, the one I "had" my heart set one...but, the initial experience was so positive, and the openness and willingness to discuss details (without becoming defensive) that there is, indeed, a difference in methods and even tools used for installation, was enough to prompt me to take home several samples even though not exactly what I was seeking. After the experience I had (actually twice) with Lowe's "farmed out" measuring service, and then to find out while Lowe's stands 100% behind their materials, they do not have any kind of workmanship/installation guarantee, I am taking the advice above, "follow your gut" ! If the measurement person is an indication of the contractor, don't think I want to meet the actual installation crew ? Hope the tip about East Coast turns out to be as down to earth and honest as they "seem".
Old 06-06-2019, 07:27 PM

Tell Lowe’s you need more time to think it over and go somewhere else. I would not want this man in my house again. You will find what you want in another store. Or if you decide to continue with them have a male neighbor in your home while it’s being done. We always had luck with East Coast flooring and all the workers are super nice. Good luck and I hope everything works out.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Would East Coast be willing to install (or purchase & install) the Lowe's carpet you have your heart set on?

With a markup on the Lowe's carpet...of course.

I agree with the others though, 'go with your gut'...and keep the creep away.

On Edit: Yes, I understand that Lowe's advertises an "installed price," but was wondering if they are ever willing to just sell the carpet alone...and let the buyer arrange installation?

Just a thought...on getting your dream carpet.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 06-06-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:52 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

You need to go to Lowe's, talk to the store manager and tell him/her every detail of your experience. Let them know you want the carpet but want a different installer. And if they can't or won't accommodate your request, buy your carpet elsewhere.

You can find that same carpet someplace else. Go with your gut and get a different installer or get your carpet elsewhere.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:00 PM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
You are right about Home Advisers, but way off about Angie's list.. I met Angie Hicks in 2000 when she was opening up the Milwaukee market for her Company. She had sent a crew of canvassers to Milwaukee to knock on doors to find out peoples favorite CONTRACTORS. She called my office to set up a meeting. I was told we had received 3 positive hits from different sections of the city, she showed me the names and they were previous clients. After checking my insurance papers, she put my company on the list. NO CHARGE to me or my company. I have been on the list for 19 yrs and I believe my company and it's 19 Super Service Awards earned since then, plus our rating on Talk of The Villages speaks for itself. Len & Mary the retired half and Chris the working half of Investment Painting.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:27 PM
Veteran member

Angie started Angie's List in 1995 before there was much of the internet. You paid to subscribe to it, and it was distributed by USPS mail. After Angie's went online, it became similar to many others. Once a vendor got a recommendation from a subscriber, the vendor would be dunned by Angie's List to pay to get a premium position in searches. The subscription fee wasn't enough to sustain the business. Now Angie's List is free and owned by the same company that owns the Home Advisor.com.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:59 PM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR

The list was online in 2000 you didn't have to pay anything to be on the List. You still don't have to pay unless you want to. As you say it would bump you up the list but would not get you ratings from your customers. We write this off as ADVERTISING. But it still doesn't write the testimonials, those are from customers. They do not tout one company over another. Dan I was sorry to hear about sell out a few years back, but the list is still viable if people just read it and the letters from customers. Living in Florida was a real eye-opener, I'm still baffled by the number of Painters in the paper that are licensed, when the painters licenses in sumpter county were discontinued in 2007. The fact that so many LLCs are not in good standing with the state, and when we present an insurance with our written bids people a dumbfounded. After 53 years in business Florida was a learning curve. Last point up north you go to JAIL for theft by contractor down here it's a CIVIL MATTER. Len the retired half of IPC
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.