Making most of pool estimate process

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2019, 08:22 AM
Default Making most of pool estimate process

Wanting to install an inground fiberglass pool. Have two companies coming Monday (EML and SpaKingdon) with T&D later in the month. Never having owned a pool we want to insure the estimates we receive are for the same size and scope of work so as to compare correctly.
Other than the basics as far as size and type of pool and surrounding deck area and birdcage needed is there anything else we should be asking about and/or have spelled out in quote? Obviously don't want any surprises down the road once we make a decision.
Thank you
Old 04-26-2019, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Heating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Wanting to install an inground fiberglass pool. Have two companies coming Monday (EML and SpaKingdon) with T&D later in the month. Never having owned a pool we want to insure the estimates we receive are for the same size and scope of work so as to compare correctly.
Other than the basics as far as size and type of pool and surrounding deck area and birdcage needed is there anything else we should be asking about and/or have spelled out in quote? Obviously don't want any surprises down the road once we make a decision.
Thank you
Make sure it includes solar.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

You might want to have at least preliminary approval from ARC so that you know your basic size will be acceptable, otherwise you may have to repeat the process. As for the estimates I would use a checklist with all the comments you will be getting from future posters. I will add these:
Is underwater lighting included? If so how can it be repaired or bulbs replaced?
Will it be salt or chlorine based? Are all of the components compatible with both systems if you decide to change?
What type of finish with the pool deck be, you want NON slip.
Specific details on what is included, line by line, warranty information, etc.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,088 Times in 2,749 Posts

Based on our experience I can say a couple things. Fiberglass options are limited as you have to buy a pre made pool mold. Different companies use different fiberglass manufacturers, so apples to apples comparison can be difficult. Concrete pools can be customized any way you wish. T&D will put in a fiberglass pool if you insist, but they will try to steer you towards concrete. T&D estimates are expensive and they have a relatively long wait period because they are always busy, but they are turn-key and they do a great job and stand by their work. I can't speak for other companies, but T&D takes care of everything and when they are done you have no worries. Things like irrigation, re-sodding, inspections, are not your responsibility. Also, if a T&D designer say you can have a pool, don't worry about ARC approval. T&D knows what can be built and will take care of all approvals for you. We went into our pool project wanting fiberglass but ended up going with a concrete pool from T&D and are very happy. We could not find a fiberglass shell that fit the dimensions we wanted and the closest shell fitting our needs was too shallow. One last thought, with concrete you can easily add cool pool options like underwater led lighting and waterfalls. Good luck with the project.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:24 AM

Thank you to the first posters as very helpful. After research definitely want fiberglass, salt water and lighting but comment about set checklist before they get here is great idea to compare apples to apples.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I have had a pool so make sure you will be happy cleaning it each day, using it in the cool weather etc. If you do not think you will use most days of the week I would skip the pool.
Heating the water can be a problem. I don't think the solar set ups on your roof are satisfactory year round so you might want to check with others as I have not had one. An option might be solar electric as you will make electric every day and can use it when ever you need it. But I don't know how practical an electric pool heater would be. I would think natural gas is best.
You will probably need a solar pool cover to keep the heat in when not using. Be sure you are happy removing and putting back.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I have had a pool so make sure you will be happy cleaning it each day, using it in the cool weather etc. If you do not think you will use most days of the week I would skip the pool.
Heating the water can be a problem. I don't think the solar set ups on your roof are satisfactory year round so you might want to check with others as I have not had one. An option might be solar electric as you will make electric every day and can use it when ever you need it. But I don't know how practical an electric pool heater would be. I would think natural gas is best.
You will probably need a solar pool cover to keep the heat in when not using. Be sure you are happy removing and putting back.
I disagree with "cleaning it each day". That is simply not necessary.

As far as heating options, depending on where in The Villages the OP lives, he/she might be limited to solar, electric heat pump, or a propane gas heater (where a propane tank is buried in the yard). If the OP lives in an area with natural gas, that of course is another option. We have solar with 12 panels, and there are definitely months in the winter that even that source of heat and a solar cover, it simply doesn't keep the water sufficiently warm enough for me. A propane heater was not an option, as the cost of heating a pool by that source is definitely not something we wanted to incur.

As far as companies, I highly recommend T&D. I've seen many other pool companies take months and months to complete a pool. The old adage " you get what you pay for", definitely comes to mind.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:53 AM
Michael Charles

We are also in the "process" of the discussion and quotation of an in ground pool. All the previous information is very helpful to us and I wanted to share something that was made aware to us during one meeting with a pool consultant. IF upon the initial excavation of digging that they discover underground cables in the immediate area of the potential poolsite that the developer a.k.a. The Villages will not have the underground issues resolved from the cable, or electric companies, you, the homeowner would bear the expense of rerouting said underground cables, that could potentially add $2-5 k to your pool project. At least it was mentioned as a potential situation so as not to be alarmed if a rather long process of rerouting might occur. I didn't like to hear that the developer won't address that issue, it's your property so therefore its all on you even though the utility companies were supposed to adhere to strict setback guidelines. I'd love to see some time frame updates of other villagers pool building timelines, issues and thoughts. Thanks
Old 05-03-2019, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I cannot recommend T&D enough. They added a pool, birdcage and pool bath three years ago and it is our first pool and it is so nice to have, not only to swim in, but sit next to and look out on.

T&D is VERY good at what they do because they have done it so many times. They are ethical and responsible and to us, they are the epitome of well run business. We liked every single artisan who worked on this effort and enjoyed watching the process that continued almost uninterrupted until it was finished in about three months.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	000_9037 (2).jpg
Views:	468
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	79449  
Old 05-03-2019, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I cannot recommend T&D enough. They added a pool, birdcage and pool bath three years ago and it is our first pool and it is so nice to have, not only to swim in, but sit next to and look out on.

T&D is VERY good at what they do because they have done it so many times. They are ethical and responsible and to us, they are the epitome of well run business. We liked every single artisan who worked on this effort and enjoyed watching the process that continued almost uninterrupted until it was finished in about three months.
I second the vote for T&D. Their construction quality and customer service is second to none.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:45 PM
Sage

Quote:

I agree, T&D added our pool/birdcage a couple of years ago and did an outstanding job, especially given the very high water table in our back yard, which abuts a preserve. If we had to it all over again, we would definitely use them again.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:54 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Warm pool a must

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post

As far as heating options, depending on where in The Villages the OP lives, he/she might be limited to solar, electric heat pump, or a propane gas heater (where a propane tank is buried in the yard). If the OP lives in an area with natural gas, that of course is another option. We have solar with 12 panels, and there are definitely months in the winter that even that source of heat and a solar cover, it simply doesn't keep the water sufficiently warm enough for me. A propane heater was not an option, as the cost of heating a pool by that source is definitely not something we wanted to incur.

As far as companies, I highly recommend T&D. I've seen many other pool companies take months and months to complete a pool. The old adage " you get what you pay for", definitely comes to mind.
Full disclosure: We do not have a pool in TV. We had three home pools in the past. We gave a pool a lot of thought and consideration but after talking with several people here in TV, decided to pass. Most Villages have a pool very close to your home and to construct a pool the way we thought was “right” the cost far outweighed the benefits. My wife is a “social person” and enjoys our Village pool very much. I agree with the above quoted post especially regarding a winter warm pool and T&D built pool. That said, if a pool is what you want and a “must have”, by all means, do a pool and do it exactly the way that would make you most proud.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post

We do not have natural gas where we live so we have both solar and an electric heat pump. The solar is nice and all you need for about 9 months per year, but during the winter, the solar is not enough with the shorter days and colder temperatures. We had low expectations for the heat pump, but have been very pleasantly surprised. If we keep the pool covered when not using it and run the heat pump, it can easily keep the water in the 90's during the coolest days. And we were very pleasantly surprised that our electric bill did not go through the roof. Keep in the pool warm during the winter does not cost us anymore than keeping the house cool during the summer. Our friends have a natural gas heater for their Villages pool and pay a lot more to heat their pool. The gas heater is great if money isn't a limitation since it heats the water faster, but it costs way more than electric to run.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Charles View Post
We are also in the "process" of the discussion and quotation of an in ground pool. All the previous information is very helpful to us and I wanted to share something that was made aware to us during one meeting with a pool consultant. IF upon the initial excavation of digging that they discover underground cables in the immediate area of the potential poolsite that the developer a.k.a. The Villages will not have the underground issues resolved from the cable, or electric companies, you, the homeowner would bear the expense of rerouting said underground cables, that could potentially add $2-5 k to your pool project. At least it was mentioned as a potential situation so as not to be alarmed if a rather long process of rerouting might occur. I didn't like to hear that the developer won't address that issue, it's your property so therefore its all on you even though the utility companies were supposed to adhere to strict setback guidelines. I'd love to see some time frame updates of other villagers pool building timelines, issues and thoughts. Thanks
Having been through this process here is our experience. BEFORE TD would start digging they had SECO come out and put flags where the power lines ran. Since the power lines ran where our pool was going, we had to contact SECO and set up an appointment to have the power lines moved. SECO sent out someone to map out the job and give us a price. Once we paid them (it was about $500) they scheduled the work and it was done within two weeks. This was the only part of the job that T&D did not do, it was up to us to have the power moved. Typically other utilities (cable and phone) run near the power lines, but SECO won't move those or coordinate with the other utilities to move them at the same time. They just dug up our cable and snapped it, but we didn't care since we have antenna TV and get our phone/internet from infinity Mobil. We were told that if we want to add cable later, Comcast will run new cable as part of the installation. Cable does not need to be buried deep like power, they just flip up the grass, put in the cable and replace the grass and tap it down. Hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:55 PM
Veteran member
Default Fiesta Pools

Quote:

We had Fiesta Pools build ours, we couldn’t even get T&D to come out and estimate for 3 months and Fiesta, a third generation family business worked incredibly hard and we were swimming in the pool six weeks after the first shovel went in.
They are a great bunch of guys and do everything themselves, not sub contracting to anyone, like most other companies, including T&D do.
Closed Thread

Tags
pool, size, needed, birdcage, area

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.