Mansfield Landscaping

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2016, 04:26 PM
Gold member
Default Mansfield Landscaping

Mansfield Landscaping planted a Queen Palm adjacent to my home waste drain line outside my CYV a few years ago. Last year the roots took over the drain and we had interior flooding from two toilets. Called Mike Scott Plumbing ( excellent plumbers) who cleaned out the drain. I thought the problem was solved. It happened again recently and more toilets flooding and ugly cleanup. Scott cleaned the drain out again and suggested we move it or cut the tree down. Cost of both clean outs was about $300, fair considering work involved. I called Steve Mansfield and asked for "suggestions" since he planted the tree and he quoted cost of $200 to remove and $500 to replant. He took no responsibility said he does not look for drains when he plants. In most established neighborhoods utility markings are required for large landscaping projects but I assumed in TV, landscapers know the locations. I feel that any good landscaper should. When digging, the drain should be easily visible because this tree is right next to it, which in CYV's appear to be in the same place right outside the garage door.

My reason for publishing this is to alert homeowners as to where your landscapers are planting and hire a landscaper who will be careful where he plants large fast growing trees. If I removed and replanted this tree,it will wind up costing about $1500 for a single Queen Palm when I consider original cost, plumbers fees and replanting. Not even mentioning the ugly clean ups from the flooding. Pretty costly.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:42 PM
Veteran member

the lesson....don't plant palms
Old 04-05-2016, 08:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,195 Times in 2,268 Posts

Sorry for your problems, Queen palms are not a good palm for this location. If you decide to replace the palm, contact Master Gardener (Pinellas library, Fridays, 9a to 3p) for suggestions. We planted Sylvester's.
You can call 811 (I think) to get ALL of you underground facilities marked before doing any work, no cost.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:42 PM
Veteran member

Shouldn't home owners take some responsibility for changes to a property. Just asking.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgind View Post
Shouldn't home owners take some responsibility for changes to a property. Just asking.
. I should and I do. But, realize that I was new to the area and totally unfamiliar with the types of plantings and the dangers of planting in the wrong location. I do blame myself for putting blind faith in Mansfield but I did check him out and placed total reliance on his expertise. I lost.

Incidentally someone recommended a landscaper,whom I spoke with, who would remove it for ZERO cost to me since he would be able to resell it (Approx. 18 foot) I was told for $600-$800 and I am now wondering if Mansfield would Also sell it at a large profit after charging me $200 to remove it? I am considering my options but one of them won't be Steve Mansfield.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:09 PM
Veteran member

villager jack,

Sorry to hear about your problems. And it has me thinking.

We are south of 466A in 3 year old home. Our waste drain line from the house is 4” PVC with solvent-welded joints. I don’t understand how any tree root could penetrate the PVC line unless the line was improperly installed.

We experienced same problems with sectioned tile sewer lines in a previous home back in GA.

What is your waste drain line made of? Maybe it is somehow cracked or broken.
If so, almost any landscape plant will seek out your waste drain line.

It would take a LOT of root pressure to fracture a buried 4” PVC drain line. Not like lifting concrete that has little weight above it.

Did your plumber happen give any openion as to how the roots found a way inside waste drain line?

I hope your decisions work out good for you.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 04-06-2016, 06:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Mansfield Landscaping planted a Queen Palm adjacent to my home waste drain line outside my CYV a few years ago. Last year the roots took over the drain and we had interior flooding from two toilets. Called Mike Scott Plumbing ( excellent plumbers) who cleaned out the drain. I thought the problem was solved. It happened again recently and more toilets flooding and ugly cleanup. Scott cleaned the drain out again and suggested we move it or cut the tree down. Cost of both clean outs was about $300, fair considering work involved. I called Steve Mansfield and asked for "suggestions" since he planted the tree and he quoted cost of $200 to remove and $500 to replant. He took no responsibility said he does not look for drains when he plants. In most established neighborhoods utility markings are required for large landscaping projects but I assumed in TV, landscapers know the locations. I feel that any good landscaper should. When digging, the drain should be easily visible because this tree is right next to it, which in CYV's appear to be in the same place right outside the garage door.

My reason for publishing this is to alert homeowners as to where your landscapers are planting and hire a landscaper who will be careful where he plants large fast growing trees. If I removed and replanted this tree,it will wind up costing about $1500 for a single Queen Palm when I consider original cost, plumbers fees and replanting. Not even mentioning the ugly clean ups from the flooding. Pretty costly.
I have read some self proclaimed posts from " Mansfield Landscaping " comments on TOTV, quoting that Mansfield is the #1 landscaper here in the Villages...by his account. I can see where you are coming from especially with Mansfield and his advertising so you bought into his salesmanship malarkey.
It will be interesting to see if he quotes your dissatisfaction with his " Non Customer Service " . Mansfield could have and should have done the right thing and got you squared away..the absolute right thing to do...but took the easy way out. So be it.

Mansfield the #1 Landscaper in The Villages ???? Mansfield...Who ?
Old 04-06-2016, 08:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,674 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthOfTheBorder View Post
villager jack,

Sorry to hear about your problems. And it has me thinking.

We are south of 466A in 3 year old home. Our waste drain line from the house is 4” PVC with solvent-welded joints. I don’t understand how any tree root could penetrate the PVC line unless the line was improperly installed.

We experienced same problems with sectioned tile sewer lines in a previous home back in GA.

What is your waste drain line made of? Maybe it is somehow cracked or broken.
If so, almost any landscape plant will seek out your waste drain line.

It would take a LOT of root pressure to fracture a buried 4” PVC drain line. Not like lifting concrete that has little weight above it.

Did your plumber happen give any openion as to how the roots found a way inside waste drain line?

I hope your decisions work out good for you.

Don
I agree with this. Roots do not normally penetrate the newer PVC drain systems like they did the old tile. There are all kinds of palm trees around here, and we would be hearing from others if this were a problem. I think the OP is missing the target with his complaint. I would ask why the plumber is not suggesting that the drain may be damaged.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:17 AM
Gold member

You may have a point however two visits from a reputable plumber and I did not hear anything about a damaged drain. neither did Steve Mansfield say anything about a damaged drain.

One last point, Steve Mansfields demeanor seems to change greatly if you are not buying anything from him. I found him to be quite angry, abrupt, even nasty, when all I requested was suggestions to assist with a problem I feel he could have avoided by not planting large quick growing trees so close to waste drains. His cost for remediation also appears very high particularly since he would likely be able to resell the tree for a large profit.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:25 AM
Gold member

Thank you all for your replies.. I do not wish to pursue this any further in TOTV but I do appreciate your comments.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Thank you all for your replies.. I do not wish to pursue this any further in TOTV but I do appreciate your comments.
I know you've signed off on this thread, but before you go can you give us the name of the landscaper who would remove the palm for zero cost? I have a 3 year old Queen Palm next to my front sidewalk that concerns me. I think I would rather not have a tree that close to pavement and the house.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:07 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Sadly, a reputable landscaper would do their best to steer you away from a queen palm. As has been said, they're really not suitable for this climate, subject to a disease called butt rot and grow too large. I'd want to know the name of the landscaper willing to take it off your hands to resell it just to add to my list of landscapers not to talk to.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-06-2016, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,195 Times in 2,268 Posts

If you think about it, the landscaper that was willing to take the palm for no cost, and resell it may not be 'reputable' either, unless they are moving the palm to a more suitable location away from this area. I would want to know the name to avoid them.

Tags
drain, mansfield, flooding, cost, tree, landscaping, cleaned, ugly, plants, landscapers, large, landscaper, clean, plumbers, called, scott, planted, queen, palm, toilets, easily, replanting, visible, single, $1500

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.