Massey vs Deans

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutmama View Post
Yes. Have seen whole homes tented here for termites. Does not happen often but who needs it!
Tenting is for dry wood termites which are totally different from subterranean! Dry wood come from wood. The spraying outside or the chemicals underground is for subterranean. Your contract most likely does not cover dry wood.
For new houses, the ground is treated and you really should
not need treatment for 3 to 5 years.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:15 AM

We use Deans as well as about 65 other neighbors in our neighborhood. A few have or had Masseys, as well as other independent and small providers.

Masseys was a problem for a few neighbors due to staffing problems. A labor shortage.

Dean's pays their workers for the entire year, while Massey was laying off employees during the slower winter months. Those employees would set up their own business, or join another employers so they would have year round employment.

Most of us use Dean's for lawn maintenance (cutting, fertilizing, and weed control), pest control, and outside vent cleaning.

Never worried about termites. All homes are stucco/block construction in our neighborhood. Almost all homes are full-time occupied.

One problem that appeared for part-time residents was failure to perform services. Not a Dean's or Massey problem, but rather will some of the small time operators.
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 12-30-2022, 08:20 AM

I have had Massey for several years and am very pleased. I have another guy mow the lawn, trim the bushes, and pull the weeds in the mulch and around the sprinkler heads. He does a much better job than Massey in that area. We are seasonal so I don't do any of that myself.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Is there any real difference between the two for Pest Control? Massey comes with the new house but appears to be more expensive.
We and our friends have had experience with both. It mostly comes down to the skill of the technician that shows up to do the work. Some are good, some less so. My advice is to find a good technician and insist that they are the only one(s) permitted to work on your home.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:47 AM
Veteran member

We have had Deans for 17 years. Justine is our tech and she is wonderful. Always a smile on her face and she returns phone calls quickly. Justine has always resolved any problems we have had.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:04 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

We have had Deans for about 9 years. I have found them to be responsive in every regard. The small guys take a powder and can leave you in the lurch but the Deans operation is large and I like being about to count on them.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:05 AM

What about all the other insect companies? I see so many other companies around....

Arrow pest control
LandSculplture
and others

It would be great to see some sort of user rating of all the pest control companies.

We have only been in TV for 6 months. I have not called a pest company yet. I have been depending on the local pest control gekos! However I did have some ants they missed....Ghost ants. Terro bait seems for have worked for those tiny PITA insects.

Cheers
Bob
Old 12-30-2022, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCristella View Post
What is the purpose of termite control if the house is on a concrete slab with metal studs?
Having a concrete slab and metal studs has nothing to do with it. It won't prevent or deter termites from moving in. You probably don't have all metal studs, some are most likely wood. Termites will eat door frames, window sills, drywall, furring strips and other parts of your house. But, the main problem is that, once you get termites, they will never go away. They live in the soil under your house and travel up and down into your house, eating all the time. They may take years to cause significant damage. When you sell your house, if you don't have a termite contract, you will need to address the problem, which can be expensive, and may kill the sale. So, you can either take your chances or buy a termite contract.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:40 AM

We have used Deans since we moved in based on our neighbor's experience with them for over 5 years. I didn't care for Massey's annual contract and I don't mind giving Deans a CC because I can dispute the any charges with my CC company if I have any issues with Deans. I can also cancel with Deans at any time and not have to worry about getting any money back unlike paying a year ahead all the time.
Granted we've only been here a little more than a year but we've been taken care of and what issues we had they addressed immeadiately.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaVader View Post
We have used Deans since we moved in based on our neighbor's experience with them for over 5 years. I didn't care for Massey's annual contract and I don't mind giving Deans a CC because I can dispute the any charges with my CC company if I have any issues with Deans. I can also cancel with Deans at any time and not have to worry about getting any money back unlike paying a year ahead all the time.
Granted we've only been here a little more than a year but we've been taken care of and what issues we had they addressed immeadiately.
I have never had an annual or monthly contract with Massey. I only pay them when they actually perform a service. For example, if they apply fertilizer, I get a separate bill for that service and pay it. I would not pay any contractor a year in advance. And, I don't like the monthly autopay system that Dean's requires.
Old 12-30-2022, 10:19 AM
Send a message via AIM to JudyLife

Have had Massey since buying pre-owned home in Hadley in 2018. Excellent service. Highly recommend.
Old 12-30-2022, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,048 Times in 5,337 Posts

Depends upon invidivual supplying the service. Massey guy for pest control has been great. The irrigation dept has been a revolving door each tech setting system differently and got rid of them within a year.
Old 12-31-2022, 06:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Massey

I used Massey for 15 years here in The Villages. They did a great job, always a quick response if you needed something special.
Old 12-31-2022, 08:02 AM

We now use Superior
Old 12-31-2022, 06:14 PM
Default Dean’s Customer 7 Years

We have been using Dean’s for the past 7 years. Our lawn is healthy and well taken care by them. They have been very professional and responsive to our needs.

Tags
massey, control, appears, house, pest

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.