"MOLD"..Front load washing machine

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2010, 05:58 PM
Default "MOLD"..Front load washing machine

Big correction here..previus thread was erroneously listed as top-load...I really did mean Front Load.....Anyone who has one in their garage, let me know if it presents a MOLD problem..also do you really save that much on water?????
Thanks everyone....Laura
Old 08-31-2010, 07:50 PM
Sage

You had a few responses, Beth, including one from me. not sure where the original thread is. I have a front loader, though not in the garage here. It was in the garage when I lived in CA. Not as humid as here, but hotter in the summer. I would just leave the front door open when I was finished with the laundry to let the inside dry out. One thing you have to do periodically ( maybe after every washing day here) is wipe the rubber gasket type thingy around the opening. Water can collect in that rubber gasket and get smelly and moldy. I just take a towel and dry around the gasket, outside and inside.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Sage

I have a front-load in Atlanta, not in garage. I always leave the door open after using it to let the rubber dry. I've never had to wipe it though.

Yes, it uses much less water.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:46 PM
Gold member

Same here this is my second front loader both in warm climates but not garages. I know that my manuel suggest keeping the moisture wiped off the door and gasket or leave it open to air dry. This last set is best washer and dryer I've had. Both front loaders.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 08-31-2010, 08:59 PM
Veteran member

Yup, I keep the front loader door open so it dries out and doesn't produce mold. I periodically run it on it's own with HOT water and clorox. I would never have my machines in a garage in this FL heat. IMHO

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Gold member

I currently have front loader and it is in my garage where it has been now for 2 yrs and no problems what so ever with mold. Yes, I do leave the door ajar and I don't usually wipe the rubber gasket. Prior to what I now have, the top loaders were also in garage for 7+ yrs and never a problem with mold or odors. Personally, I truly like having the units in the garage.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Miki,

What brand of front loaders do you have now that you said is the best you have had?

Mrs. Tony is looking for a new set.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:30 AM
Default Mold front loaders

Thanks for the information..Unfortuantely I have no choice I must put the units in the garage where it is hot. But sounds like we just need to keep as dry as possible and dring the rubber "thingy". I also heard you really need to use low suds detergent. Sounds like front load is the way to go with the savings on water..Now I need to determine which brand..Heard Samsung is really good..also Whirlpool and LG....Thanks again and any other information you can pass on will also be helpful..Laura
Old 09-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Tony we have LG front loading washer and dryer, which are stacked to save room. We are very happy with them and have had no issues.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Gold member

Ours are LG...I liked the specs on the units as well as the base drawers, which are an extra cost. The base drawers are plenty deep enough without being too large and therefore the W/D units are not unreasonably high. I am still able to use the top for folding purposes. Also, the control panel on mine is located on a raised panel on the top. The design is about the same as a top loader as far as the buttons & dials. I found this design to be a little more user friendly since what I need to see is at eye level versus being on the front of the unit. Yes, front loaders require special products that are available in all stores. The products with have a little "he" symbol on the label.
Laura (Bethpage)...don't worry about the units being in garage....mine have been there and to date we've had no problems with mold and yes my garage does get very hot.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove
Default Front Load HE Washer/Dryer

Although I do not reside in TV yet, I do live in South Louisiana where we have 100% humidity. I have a front load washer/dryer and always dry the gasket and leave the door slightly open, even though it is inside my home. There are also cleaning tablets (called Affresh) you can purchase and run through the cycle to remove odors and residue from the washer.

One important thing to consider, Tony, as you shop for your new purchase...make SURE the washer has a "Quick Wash" cycle. That cycle on my unit is only 28 minutes and you'll use it often. I have Whirlpool Duet Sport with the pedestals and am very happy with them.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:36 PM

I used to have LG but when I moved here I bought Samsung steam. I asked at a couple of places which had fewer problems and was told they hardly ever had a complaint with the Samsungs. They have been great so far.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:17 PM

I have a large front load Sears and I have had it in both locations. The mildew happens no matter where I have had it located. It is the hot humid air. Never had this problem in upstate NY. You just need to make sure you clean it at least once a month with a mildew remover spray. I alway run my whites as a last load as well because I use a bleach of some sort in that load. Hope this helps.
BooBear
Old 08-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
I have a front-load in Atlanta, not in garage. I always leave the door open after using it to let the rubber dry. I've never had to wipe it though.

Yes, it uses much less water.
Ditto...here at our rental. I REALLY like it.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Wink Front loading washers

I have a front loader GE, although not in the garage, I have never had any smell mold etc. It is recommended to use a laudry det marked HE, for High Efficiency. Low sudsing is the key. No matter what size load I do, I make sure the control is always on highest spin. This really cuts down on the drying time. When all the laundry is finished, it was advised on installation, peel back the rubber and leave a small face cloth or guest towel in there. This is where you water will remain. I also leave the door open at least overnight. Also the other suggestion is remove the det-fabric softner desenser. This too also collects water. I pull it out when I'm finished rinse it at the sink, wipe it dry and let is completely dry.

Trust me, in garage or not you'll never have an order or mold
I hope this helps.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.